The rivalry continues | The Boneyard

The rivalry continues

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That's good for the game. With Tennessee re-stoking the fires with UConn.. I wonder what that does for the UConn/SC series.. will UConn want to play two SEC teams every year or will they want to spread the OOC love around to another P5 conference? Does UConn have an ongoing series with a Big 10 team?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Lets hope this is the case. Even though we've been on the losing end way more than the winning end, it's definitely a game I look forward to every season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's good for the game. With Tennessee re-stoking the fires with UConn.. I wonder what that does for the UConn/SC series.. will UConn want to play two SEC teams every year or will they want to spread the OOC love around to another P5 conference? Does UConn have an ongoing series with a Big 10 team?
USC and UCONN will continue to play every year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's good for the game
How is it good for the game? I’m serious. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with playing them, but I’m not sure how these two teams playing each other really advances the game. To be honest, UConn in the Gamecocks playing is more meaningful.

Reaction Score
How is it good for the game? I’m serious. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with playing them, but I’m not sure how these two teams playing each other really advances the game. To be honest, UConn in the Gamecocks playing is more meaningful.
I have mixed feelings about playing Tennessee. On the one hand, I don't see it as advancing the game because I don't see them as a "modern day" rival. On the other hand, they were a top 16 team last season so being in the BE...Uconn needs to play these teams. I just think they should choose another team. When Tennessee almost beat Uconn last year...their fanbase used that as bragging rights even though the reality is...they got beat by a Uconn team with a bunch of freshman, a couple upper classmen who underperformed and a high schooler. I'm not suggesting we kick Tennessee when they are struggling, I'm just saying...don't help them up. They seem pretty confident that Harper, along with their incoming recruits is the solution to put them back in the conversation for best teams in the NCAA, but...I don't see it. If they finished 4th in the SEC...I wouldn't be shocked. Maybe my feelings aren't that...MIXED. lol

Reaction Score
THERE IS NO SUCH THINGS AS “ almost beat”. That’s what loser say. Like barely lost lol

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Because regardless of how UConn fans may feel this game is now meaningless and Vice versa for Tennessee fans... this is still a highly publicized matchup between two championship pedigree programs with talented players that ESPN is going to heavily promote. It’s another opportunity to see WCBB on the national level... high level matchups between the big programs in any particular sport are always “good for the game”..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Because regardless of how UConn fans may feel this game is now meaningless and Vice versa for Tennessee fans... this is still a highly publicized matchup between two championship pedigree programs with talented players that ESPN is going to heavily promote. It’s another opportunity to see WCBB on the national level... high level matchups between the big programs in any particular sport are always “good for the game”..

SCG - I agree with you.

If anything, Tennessee probably needs the game more than UConn. As to SC, it is the rivalry now. And that's a good thing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cant speak for the good of the game but there is no other team I enjoy beating more. Nice assist by TN unlocking the career exposure of Paige Bueckers to the outside world :). So keep them on the schedule PLZ

Oh yes. SC too. With Ark and Vandy? maybe we can sneak into the SEC :rolleyes:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
[Shrugs] I guess. But there are only so many out of conference openings, and I can think of a lot of teams that are more compelling.

This is not 1995 when getting a game on national TV was a big deal. And it was a huge deal, and absolutely advance the woman’s game as a whole. But it is the memory of that game, and those that followed it, that makes the Tennessee game interesting not the current teams. In my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
It's highly publicized like the next...."Fast and Furious" movie. No doubt about that. It will make money, but in reality it doesn't have the same impact as maybe...the first 1 to 3 movies. I'm not willing to say that it's good for the movie industry. It was, but significantly lesser now. I can't see holding my bladder until the tv timeout anymore. Fans will tune in and advertisers will take their chances, but if fan bases gradually embrace nonchalance...this is just a slow death. There are really good teams with no television worthy rivals, because...in the end, fans and their "intensity" define the best rivals.

Tennessee is far from irrelevant, but their biggest obstacles right now...are within their own conference and to some extent...stabilizing their program. I know they beat SC last year, but who expects that to continue?

Reaction Score
Lets hope this is the case. Even though we've been on the losing end way more than the winning end, it's definitely a game I look forward to every season.
ZERO doubt that this series continues. Outside of the fanbases...someone is praying for a loss for either team. lol ANY fan of WCBB...wants this to happen! Tennessee fans will be like...."Whoa...it's Christmas!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom