The Return of Pressure Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Return of Pressure Defense

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate instincts. You can tell a player 100 times where to expect the pass to go based on the trap and the positioning of the offense, but if they don't "see" it coming before it happens, it's hard to get the steals Ollie is looking for. Instinctual players (on offense or defense) can see the play developing before it happens.

That's right - need players with decent bball iq to properly carry out a press. Positioning, discipline and instincts - and depth!

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the press. When was the last time a team won a title pressing most of the game? I’d rather everyone jogs back, and prepares to handle whoever they’re guarding. I don’t know if our offense is good enough to give up easy points to good teams.

Louisville pressed a lot in 2013.

Bottom line is we've been killing KO for years about the team's ponderous pace of play. This is a way to pick things up and try to dictate a faster tempo. Plus this team with its length and depth is as well-suited for a press as any. Maybe it will be a failure, but I'm glad to see them try it.

Reaction Score
Louisville pressed a lot in 2013.

Bottom line is we've been killing KO for years about the team's ponderous pace of play. This is a way to pick things up and try to dictate a faster tempo. Plus this team with its length and depth is as well-suited for a press as any. Maybe it will be a failure, but I'm glad to see them try it.
Maybe we can hire Pitino as a consultant to teach Ollie his match up full court press.

Reaction Score
Always felt that the press was largely a tool (in modern bball) lesser teams use to beat better teams. End of the day, nothing beats straight up stifling man-to-man half court D. In spots it's fine.

Either way I think this team will end up being more defensively capable without Brimah's slow footedness and too often being out of position.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Either way I think this team will end up being more defensively capable without Brimah's slow footedness and too often being out of position.

These kids already look like they have more instincts than senior Brimah as well. Which makes it even faster.

Reaction Score
Well Ollie mentioned it yesterday and it was reported today.

“I want that pressure to be turned up,” Ollie said. “I don’t like the pressure, I didn’t like having only five steals, but I did like the 26 points off turnovers. We want to make them uncomfortable. We did that [against Colgate] to a point, but it wasn’t a ‘level five,’ I’d say it was a ‘level three.’ … I don’t want our pressure just to be token pressure, I want our pressure to be pressure.”​
Well, first you have to learn to pace yourself, because you are really like everyone else. Then you only have to to run so far, so good.
Then you will come to a place where the only thing you feel are loaded guns in your face and you'll have to deal with ..........pressure.

Reaction Score
Always felt that the press was largely a tool (in modern bball) lesser teams use to beat better teams.
Yep, this team needs to press and trap. Question is, do they have the conditioning for it? Riding mopeds instead of walking sure doesn't help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom