The Red Sox bullpen | The Boneyard

The Red Sox bullpen

Reaction Score
I am starting to get very nervous about the Sox bullpen. Although Dombrowski made some very good moves in acquiring Eovaldi, Kinsler and Pearce, he essentially left the bullpen alone. I admit there were times when I thought we'd be OK, but now I am beginning to wonder. Only Kimbrel, Brasier and perhaps Barnes seem to be reliable. The rest make me nervous when they come it. Does anyone else feel this way?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The bullpen is without question the weak link for the Sox. Kinsler was definitely a nice add but the guy Big Dom traded away - Ty Buttrey - would have been useful. Pretty impressive stat line, although obviously a very limited and small sample size.

Reaction Score
The Sox BP is the Achilles heel. Hope is they can move a starter to the pen for October to shore it up (E-Rod?).

Seems like Dombrowski has history of not building great pens. His 2013 Tigers team is WC had he done so then. Thank God he didn't....

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't feel any decent run lead is safe with the pen. Even Kimbrel has been far from lock-down since the all-star break. The Sox need the starters to go into the 7th inning (or longer). I would like to see Eovaldi moved into the pen for the playoffs, and Wright could offer long relief work. Cora needs to give the ball to only a select few from the pen when the game is on the line., and I am hoping he already has a plan in place.

Reaction Score
I hear what everyone is saying but perhaps it should be David Price that goes into the pen. He has been very bad as a starter in the post-season and very good as a reliever. The starters could be Sale, E-rod, Porcello and Wright?????

Reaction Score
Price has been our best starting pitcher in the second half.
I’d be shocked if they move him to the pen
Eovaldi will go to the pen and perhaps EdRo although if he has a couple of great starts to close out the year wonder if they push out porcello

Reaction Score
Here's my assessment of the pen:
Kimbrel - Seems to be getting it back. Not as automatic as Koji but should be able to handle the 9th.
Brasier - Pleasant surprise. May have nailed down the 8th.
Barnes - Would have been my 8th inning guy but recent injury is unnerving.
Kelly - Don't trust him at all. Great fastball but no idea where it is going.
Hembree - A lesser form of Barnes.
Pomeranz - Don't expect him to make the roster.
Wright - Intriguing. But knuckleballers always make me uneasy.
Thornburg - Every time I see him, I think of who we traded for him. Very erratic.
Eovaldi - When he first appeared on the scene, he looked like the steal of the century. Now I don't know where he fits.
Workman - Right in there with Barnes and Hembree. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
Poyner - Would like to see him on the roster. Doesn't appear to have overwhelming stuff but just gets people out.
Johnson - A pleasant surprise as a starter, not sure how he will do in relief.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Lots of valid points on the state of the pen.

FYI, The Sons of Sam Horn message board has a long ongoing discussion on this topic, btw.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I refuse to GAS. Every team has holes. I think the Sox have a top manager and a good team.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Eovaldi is probably tired. First year back from tj. I always figured he’d end up in the pen. They can’t push him that hard deep into October.

I think you keep Wright on the roster as well. He’s just a totally different look and you can avoid using him in the rain.

Bottom line is Cora needs to have the same shirt hook that francona in 2016 and hinch in 2017 had.

Reaction Score
I hear what everyone is saying but perhaps it should be David Price that goes into the pen. He has been very bad as a starter in the post-season and very good as a reliever. The starters could be Sale, E-rod, Porcello and Wright?????
Right now Price may be their best starter if Sale isn't 100%. Barnes is injured but Wright may be the key to the bullpen. He can eat innings to get to Kimmel. Agree that the BP is the weakness but we just have to hope they can step it up in post season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom