The Recruits Are Coming! | The Boneyard

The Recruits Are Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno and his esteemed assistants piled up the frequent flier miles this summer traveling by air, not to mention lots of miles by vehicles, to visit recruits in their homes or to observe them on the court. Now the time has come to host several of them on official visits to the UConn campus in Storrs. Equipped with no inside information but a lively imagination, let me speculate about some things that will or just might occur when young ladies named Wilson, Nurse, Williams, Ekmark, and Edwards come to Connecticut.
First, that well-oiled machine that facilitated all the flights and hotel reservations and car rentals for Geno's brain trust will not miss a beat when arranging transportation, lodging or itineraries for these recruits.​
Divine assistance will be appreciated when the fall foliage will not only be in its full spendor but the sun will shine mightily upon it.​
I would think that a special effort would be made to have the uncommitted Wilson and Nurse and their families to arrive on Friday, just in time to enjoy dinner at Chez Auriemma with CD, Shea, Morisa and the Auriemmas.​
Saturday, the recruits get to go to classes, each with a player/host. Why do I think that Stewie will be paired with Wilson or Bria with Nurse? Or that Wilson's teammates on the USA team will all magically show up for lunch.​
Academics? Any recruit with some special interest will meet the department head. Susan Herbst will open her doors to personally welcome the entourage.​
Warde Manual may guide the tour of the new bb facility under construction.​
All recruits and their families will have choice seats (under heavy protection from imposters with posters) for First Night to watch the latest NC banner unveiled, the presentation of NC rings, and the unique mixed men's-women's scrimmage as the cameras flash and the TV cameras roll.​
Throughout the visit(s), recruits (committed or not yet) will have maximum opportunity to hang out with their future teammates, often a major influence in their decision about where to enroll.​

And I won't be at all surprised if either Wilson or Nurse say "This is where I want to be!" as a result of this climactic recruiting event.

Only one thing is certain. Nobody gets help to go to Bristol for a tour of ESPN.

Reaction Score
"Saturday, the recruits get to go to classes, each with a player/host."

Classes on Saturday?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Classes on Saturday?
Yeh, I was wondering about that too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Classes on Saturday?

Of course. It's as easy for Geno to wave his magic wand and fill all the labs and classrooms on a Saturday as it is for Stephen Spielberg to recreate major WWII battles. But just for Wilson and Nurse. Samuelson later.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saturday classes are not unusual now are they? Common back in the 60s. Tues, Thurs, Sat schedule with Sat AM only. The Saturday 3 hour labs, what a joy. But if I was trying to show recruit academics it would not be Saturday. While I would be very pleased to have Wilson disavow her wait til next Spring, I think it is likelier that it would be Nurse after some of her father's comments.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like the Stewie/A'ja and Bria/Kia pairings. But Kaleena, with her magnetism and great smile, needs to get some face time too. Everyone wants to hang out with KML.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I like the Stewie/A'ja and Bria/Kia pairings. But Kaleena, with her magnetism and great smile, needs to get some face time too. Everyone wants to hang out with KML.

Bet that Kaleena will be locked in with Katie Lou Samuelson in December. KLS attends Mater Dei (KLM's HS) and she will visit when she is nearby, playing in Springfield, Mass. A few years ago Kaleena committed to UConn during the same visit. So the stage is set for a sort of an encore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bet that Kaleena will be locked in with Katie Lou Samuelson in December. KLS attends Mater Dei (KLM's HS) and she will visit when she is nearby, playing in Springfield, Mass. A few years ago Kaleena committed to UConn during the same visit. So the stage is set for a sort of an encore.
Keep that pipeline flowing from Mater Dei to UConn.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Never remember a Saturday class or lab.

Enough already about Saturday classes. I honestly don't know whether they have them at UConn now or not. And if I erred, sorry.

What I do know is that it is standard practice for a current player to host a visiting recruit. Take them to a class when possible. I also understand that the host has a modest budget at her disposal to use to spring for something like lunch.

It does not stretch the imagination to believe that visits by blue-chip recruits is carefully choreographed to make certain that the recruits and their families leave with the highest possible opinion of UConn from every angle.

And Geno & Co. do it better than anybody else. Even on Saturdays.

Reaction Score
What else are we getting for all the money we are paying UCONN these days.......How about Sunday school, as well........Enjoy their trip...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What else are we getting for all the money we are paying UCONN these days.......How about Sunday school, as well........Enjoy their trip...

Recruiting expenses are an important part of the budget of the Athletic Department, so your generous donations to the university are not touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom