The reason UCONN will repeat as national champs... | The Boneyard

The reason UCONN will repeat as national champs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DEFENSE! The last two seasons we lacked a dominant shot blocker in the post who could make going to the basket a nightmare for the opposition. if drummond is the player we all think he is he will be this type of enforcer in the post.
" With the addition of Drummond, look for the Huskies to get back to their defensive ways and be one of the top teams in the country in field-goal percentage defense. Like his predecessors before him, Drummond will ensure that UConn's opponents will have a hard time getting clean looks at the basket."
The scary part is he wont be the only shot blocker we have as AO and RS blocked alot of shots last year and with the additions of michael bradley and deandre daniels we should lead the country yet again in blocks. Add JL who can also block and alter shots with his length (just ask butler)this team will have shot blockers at 4 positions. with all this length and the ability to defend on the perimiter the way JL,SN and RS do this team is going to be a nightmare defensively. defense is the reason this team won it all in 2011 and its the reason they`ll cut the nets down in 2012.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
While our percentage may have gone done last year, we had some lock down defenders. Contrary to most of the media, Butler was just shut down. We beat teams with home advantages (SDSU, UA) and with more talent (UK) with our long shot altering arms and Kemba and Bazz shutting off the opposing PG. Don't get me wrong, I am EXCITED to have AD but we won with defense last year.

Reaction Score
I expect them to be scary defensively next year. Shabazz absolutely locks people down, Roscoe did a great job on everyone he was assigned last year and AO is a beast on the defensive boards. Add in two long guys in Drummond and Daniels and a lightning quick guy in Boatright and you have all the makings of another defensive juggernaut. Luke Winn's piece on UConn's defense in the title game broke down UConn's D last year extremely well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I expect them to be scary defensively next year. Shabazz absolutely locks people down, Roscoe did a great job on everyone he was assigned last year and AO is a beast on the defensive boards. Add in two long guys in Drummond and Daniels and a lightning quick guy in Boatright and you have all the makings of another defensive juggernaut. Luke Winn's piece on UConn's defense in the title game broke down UConn's D last year extremely well.

That was a great article.

Reaction Score
Yes, D wins Championships...but we will need someone to become a go to scorer...I think Lamb can be that guy...but in a close game, last shot, replacing Kemba is a big ?

Reminder: the best team doesn't always Win the NCAA...but in JC we trust

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last years defense was very good. It wasn't the best defensive JC team but still was better than most teams last season or any season.

When it came to hustle and getting loose balls or helping out on rebounds, I'm not sure anyone can replace Kemba. Offsetting this is the fact that UConn now has a true starting center, and allows AO to swing to his natural position. AO often struggled on pick and rolls when he had to to to the top of the key last season. This shouldn't be as big a problem for him this season.

So it's unknown how things will be this season, but like the op I lean towards this team being better defensively.

The big question for this team, as 5 point out, is where will the offense come from and particularly where will the clutch offense come from. And the second unknown is will this team have the same karma as last season. Most of the last second shots that could have resulted in L's last season didn't go in and this was the 180 degree opposite of the previous season.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
"I am EXCITED to have AD but we won with defense last year."

We were a lock down team last year without a shot-blocker, let's hope we continue with that and not dependent on our bigs to block shots!

Reaction Score
We were a lock down team last year without a shot-blocker, let's hope we continue with that and not dependent on our bigs to block shots!
Or we could be lock down team that blocks ur shor if you happen to get by. We can shoot high thats what the off season is for.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Last years defense was very good. It wasn't the best defensive JC team but still was better than most teams last season or any season.

When it came to hustle and getting loose external reproductive organs or helping out on rebounds, I'm not sure anyone can replace Kemba. Offsetting this is the fact that UConn now has a true starting center, and allows AO to swing to his natural position. AO often struggled on pick and rolls when he had to to to the top of the key last season. This shouldn't be as big a problem for him this season.

So it's unknown how things will be this season, but like the op I lean towards this team being better defensively.

The big question for this team, as 5 point out, is where will the offense come from and particularly where will the clutch offense come from. And the second unknown is will this team have the same karma as last season. Most of the last second shots that could have resulted in L's last season didn't go in and this was the 180 degree opposite of the previous season.
I think we have to remember also that the pups were just that: freshmen. Let's presume we'll have a huge jump in productivity and I think the scoring will come.

Reaction Score
im not worried about scoring because with our length and athleticsm we`ll be able to get out and play the passing lanes, get a lot of steals and run the fast break putting a ton of points on the board.

Reaction Score
We might have the best D in the country next year. That will be fun to watch- gonna be hard to score on USA tenets on the court. I'm no longer as worried about Quse and Pitt- who can bang agreed in the paint then AD and AO - it's nuts. AO could score 20 points a game with AD passing ability and the fact other teams can not key in on him anymore. Nuts.

Talk of a repeat right now is silly- leave the that to the talking head homers so they have something to do right now.

If we gel as a team anything is possible- but we are young- we need the mojo to be strong like last year to make it back
to the FF.

IMHO we now are in the mix- I was not so sure before AD joined us. If the young pups improve like we hope we really do not have much in the way of weaknesses.

Reaction Score
We might have the best D in the country next year. That will be fun to watch- gonna be hard to score on USA tenets on the court. I'm no longer as worried about Quse and Pitt- who can bang agreed in the paint then AD and AO - it's nuts. AO could score 20 points a game with AD passing ability and the fact other teams can not key in on him anymore. Nuts.

Talk of a repeat right now is silly- leave the that to the talking head homers so they have something to do right now.

If we gel as a team anything is possible- but we are young- we need the mojo to be strong like last year to make it back
to the FF.

IMHO we now are in the mix- I was not so sure before AD joined us. If the young pups improve like we hope we really do not have much in the way of weaknesses.

when is talk of a repeat not silly? it may be but it sure is fun to dream. i think we have as good a chance as anyone and believe in this team and coach calhoun. are there any guarantees? of course not but i think its fun to be excited and talk of a possible repeat. i couldnt care less about mojo,winning and all that nonsense because none of it wins games except in the minds of the delusional but who am i to judge? thats fun for some whats fun for me is knowing we have a real shot at a repeat and im going to enjoy that for every second until it becomes a reality or we get knocked off.

caw

Reaction Score
when is talk of a repeat not silly? it may be but it sure is fun to dream. i think we have as good a chance as anyone and believe in this team and coach calhoun. are there any guarantees? of course not but i think its fun to be excited and talk of a possible repeat. i couldnt care less about mojo,winning and all that nonsense because none of it wins games except in the minds of the delusional but who am i to judge? thats fun for some whats fun for me is knowing we have a real shot at a repeat and im going to enjoy that for every second until it becomes a reality or we get knocked off.

When it's the Championship game and you're up by 20 with 30 seconds to go.

Reaction Score
When it's the Championship game and you're up by 20 with 30 seconds to go.
images

Reaction Score
Did this guy really just question the mojo? Oh boy...that could result in a hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom