The reality is... | The Boneyard

The reality is...

Reaction Score
This starts at the top. UConn's conference is destroying them. Imagine attempting to convince an 18yr old to come play at East Carolina, Tulane, and Tulsa on SNY instead of challenging Duke, UNC, and 'Cuse on ESPN...

Because we're fighting an uphill battle, Ollie recruits as a younger player's coach. It's clear in his interaction and relationship with the players. Calhoun approached high school kids as a tough as nails guy who will get you to the NBA but make you earn it. The guys on the team simply are not tough enough - and that soft attitude starts Ollie. You can't shoot 2 for 15 on a Calhoun team or let a guard grab a rebound over you if you're a 7 footer without getting yanked. There's simply no dicsciple or toughness and these guys don't face any repercussions.

And hate to be so negative, but I can't help but wonder if the injury bug falls in that same category. Every team has scrapes and issues this time of year. We can go 8 deep - that's not a shortened bench. That would be a normal rotation on a developed team this time of year. He's let the entire squad mail it in because they had injuries at the beginning of the year. They allowed that to define them. And that's tough to stomach after years of being the toughest squad on the block.

H

huskymagic

Some good astute points you made there. Ollie has never had to build a team of his own like he does now, which has only amplified his deficiencies. I don't think his softness and relationship with players has to do with recruiting, but just who he is personality wise, although that's a fair point because Juwan Durham has mentioned it before the season that Ollie kept telling the 2016 class he "loves" them when he recruited them which they foind weird in the beginning. You hit the nail on the head there as its blatantly obvious. Guys like Rod would have been made an example by Calhoun numerous times until he disappeared to the end of the bench with his play. The effort last night was pitiful.

Reaction Score
Your argument would work if we were recruiting poorly. But we aren't. In fact recruiting is one of the only things we've been doing well lately. This years class was one of our best ever.

Enough with the blame the conference. We get way better players that every single team in this conference.

How can you blame the conference by saying it hurts our recruiting, when recruiting is one of the only things we have going for us?!

Its the you know....actual in game and player development stuff that we stink at.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We can go 8 deep - that's not a shortened bench. That would be a normal rotation on a developed team this time of year.

Normally a coach is able to pick and choose his best 8 from the full complement, selecting them based on what position they play and what skills they bring to the table -- not arbitrarily removing guys from the rotation in the manner that the injuries occurred.

Reaction Score
He's let the entire squad mail it in because they had injuries at the beginning of the year. They allowed that to define them. And that's tough to stomach after years of being the toughest squad on the block.

What a load of baloney. One of the few things to hold onto from this year is that they absolutely have not mailed it in, even though they easily could have given the level of adversity.

Is Christian Vital - who's clearly a tough SOB in the finest UConn tradition - suddenly soft because he has to sit out because of concussion protocol? Is Jalen Adams soft for playing 40 minutes on a bum ankle? Utterly ridiculous.

It's to the point where it seems like we could be down to suiting up the team manager and people would still hammer Ollie. At some point, the level of available, uninjured talent really does matter.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We have 6 scholarship players who can play right now and people are blaming it on the conference? *head-scratching*

Reaction Score
The reality is we have one top 40 recruit for next year. What we did well this year we failed at for next year. We lost a kid to the squid in Diallo that literally was in UConn's back yard and a fan. I do blame negative conference affiliation and negative recruiting in kind for that (to an extent). But I think Squid and others box away the 2014 championship as a roster of Big East players that went on a run. The "old" UConn. If we are to remain in the blue blood conversation we need to re-load on an annual basis as does our current, for the time being, peer group. UConn is the only real national basketball attraction for the AAC at this time. Cincy won 2 in a row .... 50 years ago. I doubt kids even know who Oscar is.

With the exception of a handful of programs and we know who they are, UConn got an enviable amount of national network time this season. 325 programs would kill for that exposure. So the rub is we have to win to keep that exposure because being in the AAC will totally diminish the blue blood image without that exposure.

So some responsibility has to be accepted by KO and the rest of the recruiting staff. I'm willing to give a 70% pass on this year's on court performance due to injuries. AB wasn't highly recruited and left as he came in; not a star. But teams win with freshmen and sophomores. Our leader will be a Junior. Given team health, Ollie has to put up 20+ wins and make noise in the tournament with next's years squad or face justifiable questions on his job.

Recruit, coach, play, win. Easy ha?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The reality is we have one top 40 recruit for next year. What we did well this year we failed at for next year. We lost a kid to the squid in Diallo that literally was in UConn's back yard and a fan. I do blame negative conference affiliation and negative recruiting in kind for that (to an extent). But I think Squid and others box away the 2014 championship as a roster of Big East players that went on a run. The "old" UConn. If we are to remain in the blue blood conversation we need to re-load on an annual basis as does our current, for the time being, peer group. UConn is the only real national basketball attraction for the AAC at this time. Cincy won 2 in a row .... 50 years ago. I doubt kids even know who Oscar is.

With the exception of a handful of programs and we know who they are, UConn got an enviable amount of national network time this season. 325 programs would kill for that exposure. So the rub is we have to win to keep that exposure because being in the AAC will totally diminish the blue blood image without that exposure.

So some responsibility has to be accepted by KO and the rest of the recruiting staff. I'm willing to give a 70% pass on this year's on court performance due to injuries. AB wasn't highly recruited and left as he came in; not a star. But teams win with freshmen and sophomores. Our leader will be a Junior. Given team health, Ollie has to put up 20+ wins and make noise in the tournament with next's years squad or face justifiable questions on his job.

Recruit, coach, play, win. Easy ha?

We are only losing 3 people next year to graduation...

Reaction Score
We are only losing 3 people next year to graduation...

Acknowledged.

Then go out and get 3 top 100 recruits including a big. Not saying it's easy but next year's class, on paper (and that counts) is a disappointment.

Reaction Score
Your argument would work if we were recruiting poorly. But we aren't.
You nailed it. The premise, "We can't recruit in this conference" is wrong. We had the 8th best recruiting class for 2016 in the country according to 24/7. This is a down year because 1.) We lost 60% of our minutes and 45p/g from last year. 2.) We had five new freshmen and one new transfer 3.) The unexpected lost of Daniel Hamilton 4) Injuries
All of this is going to lead to early chemistry problems because of the turnover. And having so many freshmen is always going to be a problem because of the lack of experience. Then when you throw in all the injuries you have the season we are having. Down years are natural in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Critiques of this threat are directly correlating our recruiting wins based on ranking. Without a doubt, we have recruited well by all of the major services who spend months on this business. But its the type of players on the team - not their talent level. You can be a great talent and not tough enough. Theres no leadership. There's no enforcer or intimidator (Jeff Adrian, Kevin Freeman, Boone, Okafor) or bravado in the guard spot (KAL, Kemba, Boat, Shabazz).

Its not a lack of a collection of talent. its a lack of toughness. tough, hard nosed guys - that's been UConn way forever. we're just soft, no matter how you cut it. and Ollie has allowed this team to use the injuries as an excuse. They played with 8 players for most of the season - a normal rotation for late season. And with 6 available players, Calhoun would have thrown in the walk-ons.... it happened

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This starts at the top. UConn's conference is destroying them. Imagine attempting to convince an 18yr old to come play at East Carolina, Tulane, and Tulsa on SNY instead of challenging Duke, UNC, and 'Cuse on ESPN...

Because we're fighting an uphill battle, Ollie recruits as a younger player's coach. It's clear in his interaction and relationship with the players. Calhoun approached high school kids as a tough as nails guy who will get you to the NBA but make you earn it. The guys on the team simply are not tough enough - and that soft attitude starts Ollie. You can't shoot 2 for 15 on a Calhoun team or let a guard grab a rebound over you if you're a 7 footer without getting yanked. There's simply no dicsciple or toughness and these guys don't face any repercussions.

And hate to be so negative, but I can't help but wonder if the injury bug falls in that same category. Every team has scrapes and issues this time of year. We can go 8 deep - that's not a shortened bench. That would be a normal rotation on a developed team this time of year. He's let the entire squad mail it in because they had injuries at the beginning of the year. They allowed that to define them. And that's tough to stomach after years of being the toughest squad on the block.

ONE QUESTION - I am guessing that you have first hand knowledge and experience of both JC and KO talking to you and/or a family member about coming to UConn and playing.
And while you and your family member played for both JC and KO you definitely experienced the laid back KO and the tough as nails JC and both were like that most of the time? I'd love to hear some of your stories.
If not, how the hell do you make such a statement? JC never stepped on a NBA court or put on a NBA uniform so I am guessing that KO knows a hell of a lot more about the NBA than JC. JC coached a hell of a lot longer than KO so I am sure he knows how to tweak players and has more tactics than KO.
What are KOs practices like? How are they different from JC's?
Your whole comparative is so off base and what could be called "fake news" because you haven't researched or taken situations and histories into consideration.

We can go eight deep? a developed team? yeah Puke, NC and Kansas can dig into a bench full of McD AAs and top 100. 3 injuries would devastate most teams. Have you seen Xavier this year? A top 25 team until they lose their point guard and have imploded - that's 1 player not 3.

The most absurd thing you said was that KO allowed the team to "mail it in" I can't even answer/reply to that it is so ridiculous - if you think that you know nothing about KO or any of these young guys who wear UConn across their chest.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Critiques of this threat are directly correlating our recruiting wins based on ranking. Without a doubt, we have recruited well by all of the major services who spend months on this business. But its the type of players on the team - not their talent level. You can be a great talent and not tough enough. Theres no leadership. There's no enforcer or intimidator (Jeff Adrian, Kevin Freeman, Boone, Okafor) or bravado in the guard spot (KAL, Kemba, Boat, Shabazz).

Its not a lack of a collection of talent. its a lack of toughness. tough, hard nosed guys - that's been UConn way forever. we're just soft, no matter how you cut it. and Ollie has allowed this team to use the injuries as an excuse. They played with 8 players for most of the season - a normal rotation for late season. And with 6 available players, Calhoun would have thrown in the walk-ons.... it happened

I'm curious - You registered your username four years ago, but waited today for your first post?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Congratulations.
Huskymagic likes your post.
I like Tom's question.

Reaction Score

Lol, I've been saying this for months now. It's bad enough for football and other sports like soccer, baseball and field hockey but for a northeastern basketball power it's a killer, unless you have a coach who's a legend and even there I'll bet it has a small negative effect. It would be one thing if all the travel was in the Big Ten or ACC or even the Big 12, but the AAC? Don't think so, this conference blows. It's OK for football but just OK, for everything else it just sucks.

Last edited:
H

huskymagic

Congratulations.
Huskymagic likes your post.
I like Tom's question.

Hans don't flatter him with insincere praise so early he hasn't earned his chops yet. The premise of his argument is correct though that Ollie is soft in his approach and he is recruiting players that are mostly soft and lack toughness as well. He argues that this is due to conference affiliation whereas I argue the opposite that Ollie is soft because that's who he is personality wise and this is what administering his players looks like to him. As I said early the 2016 recruiting class is flawed and could turn out to be top 10 but it isn't today. The 2017 class has Makai and 2 unproven guys. Although I do agree that we need to be proactive in looking to join the Big East as a package deal with Cinci that's not he reason our team looks horrible. If we are suffering a decline in recruiting what is SMU and Cinci suffering from when they get maybe 1 guy in the top 100 every year.

Reaction Score
Yeah blame the league where we have struggled to finish in the top 4. The league didn't hurt Cincy or SMU. In fact a case could be made that it helped the Mustangs. Make all the excuses you want. We lost to Northeastern and Wagner with a full team. We lost to ECU. That is 3 teams we should beat playing 4 on 5 they are so bad. ECU is 220 RPI and Wagner is 235. This has been a total disaster. Since 2014 UConn has been slipping down hill.

Reaction Score
@temery hahhhaha... love the hazing. Have been an avid, daily reader and lifelong husky fan. Last night was just too difficult - had to throw my hat in the ring. criticism of any posts are always welcome

Look, we allll want them to be better. But it's just a fact that Ollie is soft on this team. You dont have to be a former Calhoun player to understand he's one of the toughest SOBs on the planet. And you dont have to play for Ollie to see he is constantly nurturing and encouraging his teams almost to a fault.

How many inexplicable plays happen every game?? You just can't believe what you say... and Ollie just doesn't get on these guys enough.

Recruiting has been great by any measure. My point is the type of players we're attracting. They're talented, without a doubt. But overall, we're just a soft team.

And the argument that we are not in a conference just because we can't finish in the to 4 is insane. The conference is awful. Period. We are just that much worst

Reaction Score
Last quick note... everyone on this board has dedicated countless hours, thousands of dollars, and tons of emotional investment in this program and its players. the passion on both ends comes from genuine love for what this team means to us.

During extremes times, this is a place to vent those frustrations and have discussions or celebrate madly. No one should feel offended. I don't critique the players, just the system they're in. Looking forward to the days when people were scared to play uconn, terrified to take it in the paint, and intimidated by the sight of our squad on the calendar

Reaction Score

Well whose job is it to make sure kids are tough and show leadership? And to hold them accountable when they aren't?

You really think that every one of those just showed up to Storrs tough as nails?

Maybe JC had a little something to do with how they turned out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last quick note... everyone on this board has dedicated countless hours, thousands of dollars, and tons of emotional investment in this program and its players. the passion on both ends comes from genuine love for what this team means to us.

During extremes times, this is a place to vent those frustrations and have discussions or celebrate madly. No one should feel offended. I don't critique the players, just the system they're in. Looking forward to the days when people were scared to play uconn, terrified to take it in the paint, and intimidated by the sight of our squad on the calendar
If you are looking forward shouldn't that word be "are" and not "were". Or are you thinking of the past?

Even though I disagree about your conclusion the players are soft show up more than once every four years.

Reaction Score

I can understand. Why it took you so long to post after you registered your handle. Not well thought out post.

Reaction Score
I can understand. Why it took you so long to post after you registered your handle. Not well thought out post.

Tough crowd. Will avoid putting any thought into this next time or attempting to engage in reasonable dialogue

I'll just stick to the standard, "we stink, fire Ollie, conference is awful, Brimah hasn't developed, love Rodney as a person but... need a bigs coach, xl crowd sucks, more games at gample, and if next year doesn't improve..." garbage that fills these pages.

Then I'll be speaking everyone's language

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom