The Real UCF Rivalry in Primetime! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Real UCF Rivalry in Primetime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Weyuo - Very well said. I get that EVERYONE wants UCONN out of the AAC and into a P5, me included but anytime
ANYONE mentions anything positive about the AAC many on the yard squash it. I say, be the best you can be where you are at. The AAC hired a big time TV guy to help build the league and gain exposure and notoriety and in that regard this is a major achievement. Here we go with the glass half empty guys again.

Here is what it sounds like. Someone saw your wife at the store and say's I met your wife and she is an attractive lady.
Instead of saying thanks for the kind words, the negativos would say something like, well she gained a few pounds recently and she is really a bad housekeeper and she spends money like a drunken sailor...

It's not like that all.

Having to constantly read meaningless molehills being made into positive mountains while ignoring the big picture is tiring. Oooh Mike Aresco you are awesome - can we have our women's basketball rights back so we can go back to making money off them and not subsidizing Tulsa and Tulane now?

The word 'accomplishment' is particulary grating when there isn't one and it doesn't extend beyond saying 'um sure ok.'

But you keep labeling people CC into little boxes so you can ignore what they say by calling them names. Almost everything you post is nonsensical drivel - but YEA MIKE ARESCO - what a job you've done here!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yeah...I was responding to the "only friends and family" would watch. It isn't the NFL...but it will still do well in parts of the country that aren't enamored with the NFL...and it will do better than Kardashian marathons (maybe)

Texas (!!!) and TCU got 700,000 viewers. How many do you think U*F will get? Half that? Less? Kills me, but Whaler and I are on the same page - it's throwaway content for a throwaway time. We shouldn't be trumpeting this.

Reaction Score
Weyuo - Very well said. I get that EVERYONE wants UCONN out of the AAC and into a P5, me included but anytime
ANYONE mentions anything positive about the AAC many on the yard squash it. I say, be the best you can be where you are at. The AAC hired a big time TV guy to help build the league and gain exposure and notoriety and in that regard this is a major achievement. Here we go with the glass half empty guys again.

Here is what it sounds like. Someone saw your wife at the store and say's I met your wife and she is an attractive lady.
Instead of saying thanks for the kind words, the negativos would say something like, well she gained a few pounds recently and she is really a bad housekeeper and she spends money like a drunken sailor...

Actually the equivalent of you guys would be trumpeting your wife as looking like Jessica Alba when she really looks like Bea Arthur. I get that you're a glass half full kind of guy but more times than not the glass you're looking at is completely empty.

Reaction Score
If my famiy lived in FL I would be up for a tailgate turkey and some might just go for it. Problem is a lot of students might be headed home for theirs, but lets see how it works out before we dismiss the idea. They need to promote this game or risk a mediocre turnout.

Reaction Score
If my famiy lived in FL I would be up for a tailgate turkey and some might just go for it. Problem is a lot of students might be headed home for theirs, but lets see how it works out before we dismiss the idea. They need to promote this game or risk a mediocre turnout.

And that's up to the two schools to pump this up. It's the last regular season game so especially for UCF, which will be playing at home, this could be extremely important. Add that this is probably the biggest rivalry in the AAC to date and I'm guessing a pretty decent turnout. Personally I don't care how many are in the stands. I'll be watching cause this game A) Is a rivalry game and the kids on the field will be playing like it B) it might have influence on whether UConn goes to the AAC championship or not and C) because as long as the Huskies are in the AAC I'll try and support the league unlike Whaler who will just continue to pee & moan & stomp his feet & hold his breath like any spoiled brat even though it won't get UConn into a P5 conference any quicker.

Reaction Score
I got my M.A. from USF. What a dead commuter campus, they don't even care about the team. No one flys USF flags and all of the local stores stock UF or FSU stuff. If you say AAC you will be laughed out of the state.

Reaction Score
I got my M.A. from USF. What a dead commuter campus, they don't even care about the team. No one flys USF flags and all of the local stores stock UF or FSU stuff. If you say AAC you will be laughed out of the state.
I've seen display(s) of USF pride up here! (Not sure if it was more than once...)

Reaction Score
It's not like that all.

Having to constantly read meaningless molehills being made into positive mountains while ignoring the big picture is tiring. Oooh Mike Aresco you are awesome - can we have our women's basketball rights back so we can go back to making money off them and not subsidizing Tulsa and Tulane now?

The word 'accomplishment' is particulary grating when there isn't one and it doesn't extend beyond saying 'um sure ok.'

But you keep labeling people CC into little boxes so you can ignore what they say by calling them names. Almost everything you post is nonsensical drivel - but YEA MIKE ARESCO - what a job you've done here!

Assuming you are correct, I say getting the call from ESPN was indeed an accomplishment. The American needs all the positive molehills it can get. This ESPN contract, although not as lucrative gives the American tremendous national exposure. If the teams win and knock off some P5's then good things may happen.

Here is a 2014 article about the TV deal and a few quotes I gleaned from it:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2014/8/13/5999687/how-espn-became-the-aac-s-new-best-friend

"Is it any coincidence that UCF couldn’t get an ounce of respect in 2013 yet were discussed on College Football Live this summer as a better program than Miami or Florida?" People noticed when UCF knocked off Baylor in the Fiesta and ended up
10 ranked nationally. That's one reason Diaco created the Cival Conflict. He said it himself, UCF is a highly rated, respected football program.

"ESPN could not have a team like Northern Illinois in primetime on New Year’s Day. This was confirmed when UCF played on New Year’s Day last year and ratings were up 11%. In response, the college football powers moved the AAC berth over to the "BCS buster" category in an effort to eliminate the Northern Illinois’ and Hawaii’s of the world from dragging down ratings ever again."

Here’s a key quote from the contract’s press release that sums it up, "In essence, the extensive national television coverage replaces previous syndication and local telecasts."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Assuming you are correct, I say getting the call from ESPN was indeed an accomplishment. The American needs all the positive molehills it can get. This ESPN contract, although not as lucrative gives the American tremendous national exposure. If the teams win and knock off some P5's then good things may happen.

Here is a 2014 article about the TV deal and a few quotes I gleaned from it:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2014/8/13/5999687/how-espn-became-the-aac-s-new-best-friend

"Is it any coincidence that UCF couldn’t get an ounce of respect in 2013 yet were discussed on College Football Live this summer as a better program than Miami or Florida?" People noticed when UCF knocked off Baylor in the Fiesta and ended up
10 ranked nationally. That's one reason Diaco created the Cival Conflict. He said it himself, UCF is a highly rated, respected football program.

"ESPN could not have a team like Northern Illinois in primetime on New Year’s Day. This was confirmed when UCF played on New Year’s Day last year and ratings were up 11%. In response, the college football powers moved the AAC berth over to the "BCS buster" category in an effort to eliminate the Northern Illinois’ and Hawaii’s of the world from dragging down ratings ever again."

Here’s a key quote from the contract’s press release that sums it up, "In essence, the extensive national television coverage replaces previous syndication and local telecasts."

If you have to turn yourself into a pretzel to try and claim that Aresco has accomplished... well really anything.

They sold thousands of
hours of games for a pittance to a network that has zero respect for them.

All that happened here was they picked a game to move from Friday to Thursday. It's no special honor, it means nothing in the big picture and it literally doesn't register except to whoever was going to go and a handful of message board loonies who want to play pretend.

Aresco has done almost nothing. The schools they invited suck, the television money sucks, the bowl lineup sucks. That they pay him almost as much personally as UConn gets from the television contract is a disgrace.

Don't even get me started on the disgrace that was the AAC basketball tournament last season.

Reaction Score
If you have to turn yourself into a pretzel to try and claim that Aresco has accomplished... well really anything.

They sold thousands of
hours of games for a pittance to a network that has zero respect for them.

All that happened here was they picked a game to move from Friday to Thursday. It's no special honor, it means nothing in the big picture and it literally doesn't register except to whoever was going to go and a handful of message board loonies who want to play pretend.

Aresco has done almost nothing. The schools they invited suck, the television money sucks, the bowl lineup sucks. That they pay him almost as much personally as UConn gets from the television contract is a disgrace.

Don't even get me started on the disgrace that was the AAC basketball tournament last season.

Just curious if you had a choice of airing the UCF/USF rivalry game or not your choice would be....? and tell us how you really feel, don't hold back!

Anyway this is what George O'Leary thinks about the game. A regular televised Thanksgiving game between UCF and USF would be a good thing for the conference.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-football-0814-20150813-story.html

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just curious if you had a choice of airing the UCF/USF rivalry game or not your choice would be....? and tell us how you really feel, don't hold back!

Anyway this is what George O'Leary thinks about the game. A regular televised Thanksgiving game between UCF and USF would be a good thing for the conference.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-football-0814-20150813-story.html

1. Pretty much all the games are on TV. It's not like it wasn't going to be on TV Friday.

2. If George O'Leary wants to play USF on Thanksgiving every year that's good. If playing on Thanksgiving is such a great idea why does nobody do it?

3. It means zero for the conference. Play Thursday, play Friday, play Sunday, play at midnight at Epcot - the net value to the conference is zero.

Prop up Mike Aresco if you like. The television dollars are laughable and the league gets treated like a NDFA tackling dummy by their network 'partner'.

Maybe when Mike finds time he can find some more mickey mouse programs that UConn can subsidize. Let me know when you find someone who wants to take 'credit' for Tulane and Tulsa.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clearly the route to success is playing games at odd times on ESPN.

Sure worked for the UConn in the Big East:

UConn played on Thanksgiving. They played on at least two Sundays - at RU and at USF. They played Wednesday at Pitt. They played Fridays at home and on the road. They played maybe 8 Thursday games.

Look how great the MAC has become with all their Tuesday and Wednesday games. It's so valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom