The Real narrative: we are the matchup problem | The Boneyard

The Real narrative: we are the matchup problem

Reaction Score
Before every tourney game there are a bunch of us who like to say why the future opponent is gonna pose a problem for UConn. However, a team hasn't posed a problem for UConn yet. DH is overly confident. Jay Wright, Seth Greenberg, Jay bilas, Kenny Smith, Barkley, SVG, Mick Cronin, Mark Few etc. etc. are all in awe of this team. The narrative is "how do you beat this UConn team?"

Why do we have to hedge our feelings by imagining ways we can lose to the next team? When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball? After the tourney? Illinois is a really good team, but they're not entering the game as a favorite.

Let's be respectful, good sportsmen, but let's show some guts: WE are the matchup problem for THEM.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree. Deth Savis was trying to say Illinois could be a matchup problem for us cuz they have Size we haven’t seen.

They haven’t seen anything like our team. Not even Purdue

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball?
April 8, after the game, hopefully. Until then...
Star Wars Doom GIF

Reaction Score
Before every tourney game there are a bunch of us who like to say why the future opponent is gonna pose a problem for UConn. Yet, a team hasn't posed a problem for UConn yet. DH is overly confident. Jay Wright, Seth Greenberg, Jay bilas, Kenny Smith, Barkley, SVG, Mick Cronin, Mark Few etc. etc. are all in awe of this team. The narrative is "how do you beat this UConn team?"

Why do we have to hedge our feelings by imagining ways we can lose to the next team. When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball? After the tourney? Illinois is a really good team, but they're not entering the game as a favorite.

Let's be respectful, good sportsmen, but let's show some guts: WE are the matchup problem for THEM.
Agree 100% but.... we don't go into these games overconfident. We respect our opponents and don't F with the MOJO.
If we do what we do there's plenty of chance to spout off...after the game, but I'm happy with the talent and coaching we bring to the floor Saturday night.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% but.... we don't go into these games overconfident. We respect our opponents and don't F with the MOJO.
If we do what we do there's plenty of chance to spout off...after the game, but I'm happy with the talent and coaching we bring to the floor Saturday night.
Well put. I'm not discounting Illinois' ability to win. Although, if DH were a poster on the BY he'd have been 'hanged' after that villanova press conference!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's because everyone is searching for the edgy hot take that lets them stand out from the crowd.

You see this in political commentary too -- it's not interesting to say "bad person is bad" so they contort themselves into any other framing.

It's the same here. "Illinois hasn't dealt with a team like UConn all year" is too straightforward, so they turn it around. It's true that we haven't faced a team with the firepower of Illinois, but that's a lot less important to how this game is going to play out.

(By the way, Vegas agrees, we're like a 3:1 favorite.)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Before every tourney game there are a bunch of us who like to say why the future opponent is gonna pose a problem for UConn. However, a team hasn't posed a problem for UConn yet. DH is overly confident. Jay Wright, Seth Greenberg, Jay bilas, Kenny Smith, Barkley, SVG, Mick Cronin, Mark Few etc. etc. are all in awe of this team. The narrative is "how do you beat this UConn team?"

Why do we have to hedge our feelings by imagining ways we can lose to the next team? When do we get to enjoy being the best team in ncaa bball? After the tourney? Illinois is a really good team, but they're not entering the game as a favorite.

Everybody here already thinks that.

Everyone here is very confident. Also everyone here has repeatedly seen the presumptive favorite lose. If you want to think we're a 100% lock, go ahead. I have more optimism than I've ever had in a tournament but I'm still trying to be realistic that we've got to beat 3 good teams.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's because everyone is searching for the edgy hot take that lets them stand out from the crowd.

You see this in political commentary too -- it's not interesting to say "bad person is bad" so they contort themselves into any other framing.

It's the same here. "Illinois hasn't dealt with a team like UConn all year" is too straightforward, so they turn it around. It's true that we haven't faced a team with the firepower of Illinois, but that's a lot less important to how this game is going to play out.

(By the way, Vegas agrees, we're like a 3:1 favorite.)
I don't think it's this. It's that even a 3:1 favorite will lose sometimes, and you only get one game. It's very random, which is partly why people love the NCAA tournament. The NBA with all those seven-game series makes it much harder for a worse team to advance.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I found the idea a bit humorous that because they have a three man backcourt that can match the size of our three man backcourt, it could be a problem for us. Wouldn't it also be the case that because our three man backcourt can match the size of their three man backcourt, it could be a problem for them?

Zuc.gif

Reaction Score
Agree. Deth Savis was trying to say Illinois could be a matchup problem for us cuz they have Size we haven’t seen.

I checked there roster and no one is over 6’10”. Tallest starter is 6’9”. Couple at 6’6”, but our guards average 6’5”.

Reaction Score
I found the idea a bit humorous that because they have a three man backcourt that can match the size of our three man backcourt, it could be a problem for us. Wouldn't it also be the case that because our three man backcourt can match the size of their three man backcourt, it could be a problem for them?

View attachment 98439
Yes

Reaction Score

Agreed, I've been saying all year if we're healthy and Clingan stays on the court we aren't losing on a neutral court. Not exactly going out on a limb considering this team hasn't lost on a neutral court in two seasons and we've wrecked the field by an average of 23 points in the tournament over two NCAA tournaments.

It will take injury or Clingan being plagued by foul trouble early on for anyone to have a chance of beating us. With this team they'll most likely find a way to even overcome that

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, this is an all-time great college team and we're probably witnessing the best two year run in the modern era.

Reaction Score

Right. Purdue's guards are good, but small. UConn is the first team they'll have played that truly matches them up size-wise to give them problems on both sides of the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom