The Queen's Gambit | The Boneyard

The Queen's Gambit

Reaction Score
Binged the first 4 episodes Friday and Saturday. Really enjoying it and I have no clue on how to play chess. The actress in the lead role is riveting and it's a unique, well told story so far.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am now through episode 5. Stayed up too late last night because we wanted to keep watching. It's good. So well done, with very strong acting performances.

Reaction Score
I am now through episode 5. Stayed up too late last night because we wanted to keep watching. It's good. So well done, with very strong acting performances.

Do you know how to play chess? I have wondered if me knowing would make it a better experience, but I feel like they've stayed general enough with the moves that I can still follow along fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you know how to play chess? I have wondered if me knowing would make it a better experience, but I feel like they've stayed general enough with the moves that I can still follow along fine.

I just finished it up last night. Very well done. I have dabbled in chess since I was a small child, never becoming good. At one point I studied some of the basic openings and responses, and practiced those against an AI.

I might help a tiny bit with references to The Sicilian and other openings. The thing ordinary decent players do, is understand those openings an the possible responses to them. That's going to get you about 4-5 moves in. Then it's on you. What these master and grand master level players do is understand hundreds to thousands of mid game and end game situations, and how people won or lost. So if that is what came across as what she was learning as she progressed from the basement, to winning local tournaments to studying with Benny, then you got what you needed. She went from being a brilliant intuitive player who could just mentally see many moves ahead, to someone who can do that, plus knew what the greatest players had done with the same late game board layout.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anya Taylor-Joy is absolutely riveting.

The Witch, Split, Glass and Peaky Blinders are all movies and show i have seen her in and she has "it." We have The Queen's Gambit.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I just watched the first 6 episodes and agree that it's really well done. Anya is terrific as Beth.

I only started watching it because you guys posted about it. Thanks.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anya Taylor-Joy is absolutely riveting.

The Witch, Split, Glass and Peaky Blinders are all movies and show i have seen her in and she has "it." We have The Queen's Gambit.

I wouldn't call either a great film, but she's also intriguing in Morgan and Thoroughbreds. I also thoroughly enjoyed the latest version of Emma that she starred in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom