The Quality Of Our New Commits Bouknight & Gaffney | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Quality Of Our New Commits Bouknight & Gaffney

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Granted, highlight clips show a recruit's best, but Gaffney shows skills that stand out that lesser talented ballers just can't do. His ability to handle in traffic and the open floor, especially his ability to change speeds is evident. That part of his game reminded me a little Bazz-like. Different type player where he's longer and more athletic. He doesn't look like a *** at all and seems to have been under-evaluated.

His J is very promising, as to how quickly he gets it off. As for accuracy, highlight clips only show you the ones that go in, but if % stats we're hearing are acurrate, he seems like a player.

One deficiency I did notice, that although he can handle the ball very well with both hands, he always shoots it with his right even when he's at or near the rim. He's going to need to learn to get it up on the glass with his left hand. At the D1 level, you're just not going to get those layups to fall if you're a guard and you can only use your right hand. Other than that, he made all the types of shots you'd like to see a combo guard make; deep, midrange and at the rim. He even threw a couple down in transition, that shows how athletic he is. He'll definitely need to get stronger to be able to handle the contact at the next level. That might be the reason why his skills don't seem to equate to his rankings.

Again, they're highlight clips, but I like how he seems to play fast but under control. We've had a few quick guards come to UConn but simply underwhelm such as Doug Wiggins and Cup Cormier, hope I got his name right. Those two who come to mind who played too fast and made far too many mistakes to be able to stay on the floor. And until he gets here, who knows how well he'll be able to defend his position at this level going up against stronger and faster guards than he's used to facing. I guess that goes for just about all the young players that haven't fully physically matured yet.

Like most freshmen, it will likely take him awhile to acclimate to the next level and contribute consistently, but I think he's going to be a real good one and yet another UConn recruit that outperforms is ranking when it's all said and done.
The season is officially kicked off! This echoes what I observed.

Kid has a really quick first step and is fast. But he also demonstrated a change of speed, which was not only absent in Doug and Cup, but in early Kemba.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember AJ shooting the long ball well until later in his career, I could be wrong. Of course great shooting in HS for these guys could be different at this college level until they get acclimated.
AJ Price was a premier long range shooter in high school. Besides reputation, there was a televised matchup between his team and Dwight Howard's team in high school, (LI NY & Georgia if I recall correctly). It was billed as Mr Inside vs Mr Outside and Price bombed away impressively to me. I haven't looked at his UConn stats, but the laptop stuff and health related life and death issues early in his career sort of compares to Alteriques inability to truly transition to D1 play early in his career. I'm just saying that AJ's later years were just getting back to a form he had, rather than a new capability. You may be right about his early vs later years.

Reaction Score
So if Bouknight and Gaffney sign formal LOIs; what level of UConn coaching contact can occur during their senior year?

To narrow my question. Is Sal allowed to develop and monitor a strength and conditioning program via text/video etc?

Tcf?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
AJ Price was a premier long range shooter in high school. Besides reputation, there was a televised matchup between his team and Dwight Howard's team in high school, (LI NY & Georgia if I recall correctly). It was billed as Mr Inside vs Mr Outside and Price bombed away impressively to me. I haven't looked at his UConn stats, but the laptop stuff and health related life and death issues early in his career sort of compares to Alteriques inability to truly transition to D1 play early in his career. I'm just saying that AJ's later years were just getting back to a form he had, rather than a new capability. You may be right about his early vs later years.

I've long maintained, if it wasn't for injuries, he would be considered one of the great UCONN point guards. (he might not have been wrapped up in the Laptop thing either if he didn't have so much free time on his hands). He had every skill you need.

Reaction Score
He went to school like an hour from me, with Jason Fraser who went to Nova. That team was insane. If it wasnt for injuries Fraser would’ve been a star.

Reaction Score
I've long maintained, if it wasn't for injuries, he would be considered one of the great UCONN point guards. (he might not have been wrapped up in the Laptop thing either if he didn't have so much free time on his hands). He had every skill you need.
His junior year was one of the best years for a UConn PG until Kemba and Shabazz overshadowed him. He was a better shooting, better passing Boat. Tearing his ACL against San Diego was devastating to the team's morale, and while he was very good in 2009, he lost some of that explosiveness that made him truly elite. Thankfully Thabeet developed, Dyson stepped up his game, and Kemba came along. But if Dyson were never injured, and we had 2008 AJP, I definitely take us against UNC. I might still with a healthy Dyson.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His junior year was one of the best years for a UConn PG until Kemba and Shabazz overshadowed him. He was a better shooting, better passing Boat. Tearing his ACL against San Diego was devastating to the team's morale, and while he was very good in 2009, he lost some of that explosiveness that made him truly elite. Thankfully Thabeet developed, Dyson stepped up his game, and Kemba came along. But if Dyson were never injured, and we had 2008 AJP, I definitely take us against UNC. I might still with a healthy Dyson.

Exactly. And imagine if he didn't have the brain injury? His career would have been totally different. He lost so much development and athleticism, explosiveness, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom