The problem with Paige | The Boneyard

The problem with Paige

Reaction Score
It was only the first game, but it was against a quality opponent. Paige had probably her most efficient game (15-19 shooting, 6 boards ,2 steals, etc, etc)
as a Huskie. She looks so smooth and under control, that she is obviously is the best player out there.
The problem is that she makes her team mates look like mere mortals, and they get judged against her performance.
Azzi shot 3/7 in her first game which wasn't bad, but compared to "you-know-who", looked kind of pedestrian.
I think playing with Paige may be difficult, as there could be a tendency to just watch in awe the thing she does.
A very good problem to have.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It was only the first game, but it was against a quality opponent. Paige had probably her most efficient game (15-19 shooting, 6 boards ,2 steals, etc, etc)
as a Huskie. She looks so smooth and under control, that she is obviously is the best player out there.
The problem is that she makes her team mates look like mere mortals, and they get judged against her performance.
Azzi shot 3/7 in her first game which wasn't bad, but compared to "you-know-who", looked kind of pedestrian.
I think playing with Paige may be difficult, as there could be a tendency to just watch in awe the thing she does.
I dont think we as fans are too harshly judging Paige's teammates relative to her unnatural abilities. It seems most of us were able to see that CW and Evina had very good games in general and others had decent games. No one is seriously expecting a second Paige to emerge (at lest for a while)

I do think that playing with Paige can lead to others waiting around / watching Paige to do her thing too much especially in a game where she is locked in. I recall E had an open 12 ft shot near the FT line but hesitated and pushed it back to Paige to probably reset at the top of the key. And what did Paige do, in the blink of an eye, she knifed to the basket with on of her 1 handed floaters.

Paige is often our security blanket and others have to fight the urge to just pass it back to Paige to reset

Reaction Score
This is so ridiculous !!! I guess the reason why the rest of the Bulls were horrible is because of MJ and the rest of the Celtics stunk because Bird was so awesome..what's next Sailor left because of Paige. Memo to Geno stop recruiting the best players because the rest of the team will suffer!

Reaction Score
This is so ridiculous !!! I guess the reason why the rest of the Bulls were horrible is because of MJ and the rest of the Celtics stunk because Bird was so awesome..what's next Sailor left because of Paige. Memo to Geno stop recruiting the best players because the rest of the team will suffer!
I think "Sailor" left because she realized her ship was pulling away from the pier without her.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Is this another satire post and we're really supposed to lol and pat you on the back?

Reaction Score
Azzi will be great (I think), but her 3/7 included 2 layups... and one miss was an air balled pull up jumper, which is supposed to be one of her strong suits. And she got beat repeatedly for drive by layups. None of that has anything to do with Paige making her look like a mere mortal. I'd Still, Geno played her 20 minutes, so he's surely seeing things in practice that he likes. And what Geno likes, I like! I would attribute Azzi's very pedestrian performance to first game jitters.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is a quality opponent? Prediction page had multiple ppl winning by 30+. They are ranked 36th in rankings. Boy how things change in a couple of hours.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Azzi will be great (I think), but her 3/7 included 2 layups... and one miss was an air balled pull up jumper, which is supposed to be one of her strong suits. And she got beat repeatedly for drive by layups. None of that has anything to do with Paige making her look like a mere mortal. I'd Still, Geno played her 20 minutes, so he's surely seeing things in practice that he likes. And what Geno likes, I like! I would attribute Azzi's very pedestrian performance to first game jitters.
I'll agree with first game jitters, however if you can go back and see the Ark game again, look at Azzi's footwork. She was not moving her feet very well, she got her feet almost tangled and was passed easily. This can be corrected and I expect Geno will be on it like flies on garbage.

Reaction Score
Is this another satire post and we're really supposed to lol and pat you on the back?
Just making a simple point and certainly wasn't looking for a pat on the back, not even sure what that would be. Paige is so far ahead of anyone that shares the floor with her, that they all look avg.

Reaction Score
Just making a simple point and certainly wasn't looking for a pat on the back, not even sure what that would be. Paige is so far ahead of anyone that shares the floor with her, that they all look avg.
Because they all are average in comparison to Paige. (E and C above average)
Throughout basketball history, there have been superstar players. Nothing new here. Trouble is, they don't always win championships. Wilt? Obviously, UConn wants to have the best player and win championships. I've said before (duh) that she is a facilitator first and foremost. I know there's no way you're knocking Paige. The coaching staff has to step up. They had the best player last year too! And, I think it's the reason for your post, the team needs to step up. B's or B+'s for E and C, the rest of the team C or below.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Because they all are average in comparison to Paige. (E and C above average)
Throughout basketball history, there have been superstar players. Nothing new here. Trouble is, they don't always win championships. Wilt? Obviously, UConn wants to have the best player and win championships. I've said before (duh) that she is a facilitator first and foremost. I know there's no way you're knocking Paige. The coaching staff has to step up. They had the best player last year too! And, I think it's the reason for your post, the team needs to step up. B's or B+'s for E and C, the rest of the team C or below.
I'd give Evina an A.

Reaction Score
One of my constant mantras, numbers mean nothing without context; Fudd got two wide open back door layups and otherwise shot 1-5. She certainly gets credit for her movement without the ball, but generally speaking, she had a very rough first game. Time will tell if that‘s all it was but as someone observing her for the first time, her lack of lateral quickness appeared obvious. Now, there could be a myriad of legitimate reasons why that was an aberration so I look on it as what it was, just one game.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right! I mean we all saw what we saw.
I think she'll certainly be a sharp-shooter for the team, but I want so much more. It was what it was. Sometimes this board tries to distort the truth. If it was a giraffe, don't call it a zebra.
I know it's too early, but she seems small! Here's an analogy for all the old farts on this blog, Bill Bradley. Remember he was a sensation coming out of college. He went to England and studied as a Rhodes Scholar and then reported to the Knicks. The city was anxiously awaiting his arrival after having led tiny Princeton to much success in the NCAA tournament. NY was initially totally disappointed in its heralded draft choice. He was slowish afoot and smallish in stature, 6'5". Well, just check basketball reference for the rest of the story. 2 championships and a solid career. The stars were Reed, DeBusschere, and Frazier, but.......

Reaction Score
I dont think we as fans are too harshly judging Paige's teammates relative to her unnatural abilities. It seems most of us were able to see that CW and Evina had very good games in general and others had decent games. No one is seriously expecting a second Paige to emerge (at lest for a while)

I do think that playing with Paige can lead to others waiting around / watching Paige to do her thing too much especially in a game where she is locked in. I recall E had an open 12 ft shot near the FT line but hesitated and pushed it back to Paige to probably reset at the top of the key. And what did Paige do, in the blink of an eye, she knifed to the basket with on of her 1 handed floaters.

Paige is often our security blanket and others have to fight the urge to just pass it back to Paige to reset
They are not standing around and if they do they will be sitting down. If they keep moving she will get them the ball, that is an asset not a negative.

Reaction Score
I think that’s more on the players themselves than Paige. For all the hype Paige got, the accolades she received in high school, the plethora of games on YouTube and all the talk about how she’d be the next big thing….she’s been on the path of living up to that and then some. She came in freshman year and it was clear she was the best player on the team from game one. Azzi obviously has the hype now with the “she’s just as good as Paige blah blah blah” stuff but she won’t have the importance to the team and it’s clear now Paige is big sis and Azzi is lil sis team wise. I think it’s premature to judge her at this stage but I think it was unreasonable to think she was about to just drop 20 a game. ONO…we all know how the BY talks about her. CW still has proving to do somehow. Evina is Evina. The other new players looked like new players. Paige has become the sure shot and fans here keep waiting for the rest of the team to be the players they think they can be. I don’t think it’s because Paige makes them look bad, they just don’t play to where there is no doubt in anyone’s mind what they bring to the table.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think that’s more on the players themselves than Paige. For all the hype Paige got, the accolades she received in high school, the plethora of games on YouTube and all the talk about how she’d be the next big thing….she’s been on the path of living up to that and then some. She came in freshman year and it was clear she was the best player on the team from game one. Azzi obviously has the hype now with the “she’s just as good as Paige blah blah blah” stuff but she won’t have the importance to the team and it’s clear now Paige is big sis and Azzi is lil sis team wise. I think it’s premature to judge her at this stage but I think it was unreasonable to think she was about to just drop 20 a game. ONO…we all know how the BY talks about her. CW still has proving to do somehow. Evina is Evina. The other new players looked like new players. Paige has become the sure shot and fans here keep waiting for the rest of the team to be the players they think they can be. I don’t think it’s because Paige makes them look bad, they just don’t play to where there is no doubt in anyone’s mind what they bring to the table.
I am sure Azzi's points will come. The thing that struck me which is really bad luck is that Azzi was discussing her focus on defense and how she focused on that etc and than had a defensive clunker. Geno had also (indirectly?) mentioned her defense and I am not sure why. I prefer Geno go back to his roots and say none of the freshman can guard a chair.

Reaction Score
See that is why the BY is so good. There are actually witty people on it.
Yes, there are. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, we only see half of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom