The Power Struggle in the P5 begins... | The Boneyard

The Power Struggle in the P5 begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Big 10 and Pac 12 are going to form a voting block to push their agenda… will SEC decide to move in cohoots with ACC, Big 12. One conference will be either the deciding group or left out to do the other fours bidding.

The first quote says it all.
"The 26 schools of the Big Ten and Pac-12 are likely going to form one voting bloc in the autonomy/Division IV world to come. Now take a look at what is being proposed by the Pac-12 and, for the most part, backed by the Big Ten — less time on the field/court for athletes, tougher academic standards for postseason play, guaranteed scholarships, eased transfer rules, etc. Think your friendly neighborhood SEC football coach would be in favor of such proposals?"

Which will win out the brains or the athletics?

http://mrsec.com/2014/06/big-ten-pac-12-partnering-autonomy-front-will-dominate-future-decisions/

Reaction Score
Is this another reason to get more conference members? I said in another post in the Pac12 letter thread that there was going to be a split amongst P5 schools. They do not have the same agendas
It would appear that if the conferences have different agendas, then having more members = more power. Seems the Big 12 is at a disadvantage, especially if the B1G or PAC 12 add a couple more schools.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It would appear that if the conferences have different agendas, then having more members = more power. Seems the Big 12 is at a disadvantage, especially if the B1G or PAC 12 add a couple more schools.

The Big12 will vote with The SEC, imo. They will form a block of 24, while Big10/Pac12 will form a block of 26. How The ACC falls is the key here, and they might just vote separately: FSU, Clemson, and Louisville would vote the SEC's way while UVA, Duke, VTU, GT, and 'Cuse would vote the other way. How Miami, ND, UNC and NCST would vote is up in the air, imo. Those four and whether Wake, BC, and Pitt want to be part of the P5 (and how they would vote if they did) will determine the path.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some would say that the ACC has already voted with the less academic standards wanted by the SEC and B 12...they just invited a southern school with academic rankings on par with most mediocre community colleges over UCONN and its well respected academics.

Reaction Score
The Big12 will vote with The SEC, imo. They will form a block of 24, while Big10/Pac12 will form a block of 26. How The ACC falls is the key here, and they might just vote separately: FSU, Clemson, and Louisville would vote the SEC's way while UVA, Duke, VTU, GT, and 'Cuse would vote the other way. How Miami, ND, UNC and NCST would vote is up in the air, imo. Those four and whether Wake, BC, and Pitt want to be part of the P5 (and how they would vote if they did) will determine the path.

If voting separately is an option, I could see Texas siding with B1G and PAC. Maybe KU too.

Reaction Score
The root, and driving force, of everything around this intercollegiate sports governance and rule making business is greed and personal ego. It's killing the sport of college football, and taking all of intercollegiate athletics with it. This is what happens when television contract revenue is the primary decision making factor among the people that govern the entire sport.

I honestly don't have the slightest idea how this 30 year progression of opening Pandora's Box......how to close the box.

THe best solution would be to establish an actual seeded national championship playoff format consisting of all, and only, FBS football conference champions. Let the pieces realign from there.

How the hell can that happen though - how can that actually be created? Wwhen there is no governing body that can do it - and only this 5 headed conference commissioner hydra. It's like the military command of Nazi Germany. Nobody is actually in charge. They're just afraid of each other. There is no chain of command, just compartmentalized leadership with their own agendas.

It was, and is, entirely predictable that this group of power 5 conferences would simply begin to fight amongst themselves. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The root, and driving force, of everything around this intercollegiate sports governance and rule making business is greed and personal ego. It's killing the sport of college football, and taking all of intercollegiate athletics with it. This is what happens when television contract revenue is the primary decision making factor among the people that govern the entire sport.

I honestly don't have the slightest idea how this 30 year progression of opening Pandora's Box.how to close the box.

THe best solution would be to establish an actual seeded national championship playoff format consisting of all, and only, FBS football conference champions. Let the pieces realign from there.

How the hell can that happen though - how can that actually be created? Wwhen there is no governing body that can do it - and only this 5 headed conference commissioner hydra. It's like the military command of Nazi Germany. Nobody is actually in charge. They're just afraid of each other. There is no chain of command, just compartmentalized leadership with their own agendas.

It was, and is, entirely predictable that this group of power 5 conferences would simply begin to fight amongst themselves. Crazy.

Add the AAC to D4 and name the leagues Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia/ Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia. Since that went so smoothly.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Some would say that the ACC has already voted with the less academic standards wanted by the SEC and B 12...they just invited a southern school with academic rankings on par with most mediocre community colleges over UCONN and its well respected academics.

In my opinion, The ACC seems to be the most fractured with in their ranks. It seems that UConn was ready to be the 16th member, but the football block went against the tobacco road block and force UL. I can see them voting independently.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, The ACC seems to be the most fractured with in their ranks. It seems that UConn was ready to be the 16th member, but the football block went against the tobacco ro and force UL. I can see them voting independently.

Agreed.

The ACC is a mish-mash of slammed together factions with no true identity (oh look, there's Notre Dame with their d-ick in the tail-pipe!). The SEC, aside from their foobaw foobaw foobaw success, is a mélange of clown colleges that would otherwise be a laughing stock of southern dumb if not for their prowess with pigskin, and the BXII is a two school kingdom (TX/OU) with KU the distant #3, and the rest withering salty slugs hanging on for dear life. IMO the B1G and PAC are by far the most prestigious, and stable. SEC may be stable, but they still suck at every single thing, save foobaw.

Couldn't be happier that we are aligned with the PAC. Seems to me like the focus RE Conferences gets stuck on the B1G/SEC as they are the most active RE expansion, TV, networks, etc etc etc, and maybe with good reason. But the PAC is a true monster of college athletics with it's 450 National Championships. Heck, UCLA, USC, and Stanford have more combined Natty's than all of the SEC (215), all of the ACC, or all of the BXII. 300 among those three schools, and the B1G is just around ~310 total. PAC = 450. Huge. Stanford has won the Directors Cup what, 15-20 years in a row??

I seriously hope that someday soon UCONN can bask in the ease and comfort that is Big Ten membership.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In my opinion, The ACC seems to be the most fractured with in their ranks. It seems that UConn was ready to be the 16th member, but the football block went against the tobacco ro and force UL. I can see them voting independently.

Perhaps. If that comes to pass, then I'd guess the majority of the ACC would vote with the B1G/PAC but not enough to garner the 60% needed to make these changes. My best guesses:

BC - B1G/PAC
Cuse - B1G/PAC
Pitt - B1G/PAC
Duke - B1G/PAC
UNC - B1G/PAC
Wake - B1G/PAC
ND - B1G/PAC
UVA - B1G/PAC

FSU - SEC/B12
Clemson - SEC/B12
Louisville - SEC/B12
NC State - SEC/B12
Miami - SEC/B12

Swing schools:
GT - southern based but excellent academics. If I had to guess, I'd say B1G/PAC but wouldn't be shocked to see the southern fanbase want to adapt more of the southern culture
VPI - criteria is the same as GT but I'd guess that they'd go SEC/B12.

Even if both GT and VPI went B1G/PAC, that would get the total up to 36/65 (55%) schools for implementation of the proposed changes. I think we're about to find out just how much pull Tobacco Road has within its own conference because methinks they will try to lobby hard for stricter academics of the B1G/PAC and, for that to happen, a much larger majority ACC is needed.

Reaction Score
All things tend toward the SEC in this discussion. The focus will be on loosening things. Anything goes. The B1G and Pac12 can fight it all they want, bu over time, the SEC is going to tug them toward the southern way of doing things, whether they like it or not.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Perhaps. If that comes to pass, then I'd guess the majority of the ACC would vote with the B1G/PAC but not enough to garner the 60% needed to make these changes. My best guesses:

BC - B1G/PAC
Cuse - B1G/PAC
Pitt - B1G/PAC
Duke - B1G/PAC
UNC - B1G/PAC
Wake - B1G/PAC
ND - B1G/PAC
UVA - B1G/PAC

FSU - SEC/B12
Clemson - SEC/B12
Louisville - SEC/B12
NC State - SEC/B12
Miami - SEC/B12

Swing schools:
GT - southern based but excellent academics. If I had to guess, I'd say B1G/PAC but wouldn't be shocked to see the southern fanbase want to adapt more of the southern culture

Even if both GT and VPI went B1G/PAC, that would get the total up to 36/65 (55%) schools for implementation of the proposed changes. I think we're about to find out just how much pull Tobacco Road has within its own conference because methinks they will try to lobby hard for stricter academics of the B1G/PAC and, for that to happen, a much larger majority ACC is needed.

My thoughts on how they will fall as we'll except that I think Miami will fall the other way. They seem to be de-emphasizing athletics a tad since their latest close call with NCAA issues.

I think that there are schools in the Big12 that really don't want to go the SEC way as we'll. I cam see Texas and, Kansas, and ISU not wanting that route. A small part of also thinks Oklahoma, who is trying like Hades to raise their academic clout might consider the Big/Pac plan too. A very small part.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
All things tend toward the SEC in this discussion. The focus will be on loosening things. Anything goes. The B1G and Pac12 can fight it all they want, bu over time, the SEC is going to tug them toward the southern way of doing things, whether they like it or not.

I don't agree. Last year Delany said the B1G would prefer to deemphasize athletics before moving to the inevitable pay for play SEC model.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130318/big-ten-jim-delany-ncaa-obannon/

Reaction Score

So the future of college athletics will be determined by 4-5schools that are completely irrelevant athletically? (Wake, BC, Pitt, NCSt etc)

Reaction Score

I honestly don't have the slightest idea how this 30 year progression of opening Pandora's Box.how to close the box.

Even the Nazi reference made sense in one of my top 10 of all time. Perfection!

Reaction Score

BC - B1G/PAC
Cuse - B1G/PAC
Pitt - B1G/PAC
Duke - B1G/PAC
UNC - B1G/PAC
Wake - B1G/PAC
ND - B1G/PAC
UVA - B1G/PAC

FSU - SEC/B12
Clemson - SEC/B12
Louisville - SEC/B12
NC State - SEC/B12
Miami - SEC/B12

Swing schools:

Add GT and VPI to the antiUConn faction of BC, FSU, Clemson, NC State, Miami and probably Louisville and Cuse.

Reaction Score
"The SEC, aside from their foobaw foobaw foobaw success, is a mélange of clown colleges that would otherwise be a laughing stock of southern dumb if not for their prowess with pigskin"

"SEC may be stable, but they still suck at every single thing, save footbaw "

This part of Cleanface's post couldn't be any dumber. You obviously are just shooting off your mouth. The SEC is a collection of "clown colleges"? What are you basing that on? Nothing could be further from the truth. UGA is very strong academically & is right there with UCONN. Check the most recent USNWR rankings. I believe Florida is right there with UGA. Vanderbilt is excellent academically. South Carolina & Alabama are good schools, although not at the level of other schools in the region such as Clemson, UGA & Vanderbilt.

Also, SEC schools excel in other sports besides football. This year the SEC had two schools in the final four. That is nothing to sneeze at. And more often than not, an SEC school is playing in the college world series.

So please check your southern bias at the door.

Full Disclosure: I'm from CT & a UCONN grad but I've lived in the South Carolina for a few years now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Agreed.

The ACC is a mish-mash of slammed together factions with no true identity (oh look, there's Notre Dame with their d-ick in the tail-pipe!). The SEC, aside from their foobaw foobaw foobaw success, is a mélange of clown colleges that would otherwise be a laughing stock of southern dumb if not for their prowess with pigskin, and the BXII is a two school kingdom (TX/OU) with KU the distant #3, and the rest withering salty slugs hanging on for dear life. IMO the B1G and PAC are by far the most prestigious, and stable. SEC may be stable, but they still suck at every single thing, save foobaw.

Couldn't be happier that we are aligned with the PAC. Seems to me like the focus RE Conferences gets stuck on the B1G/SEC as they are the most active RE expansion, TV, networks, etc etc etc, and maybe with good reason. But the PAC is a true monster of college athletics with it's 450 National Championships. Heck, UCLA, USC, and Stanford have more combined Natty's than all of the SEC (215), all of the ACC, or all of the BXII. 300 among those three schools, and the B1G is just around ~310 total. PAC = 450. Huge. Stanford has won the Directors Cup what, 15-20 years in a row??

I seriously hope that someday soon UCONN can bask in the ease and comfort that is Big Ten membership.
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104