The Portsmouth Invitational (or UConn invitational) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Portsmouth Invitational (or UConn invitational)

Reaction Score
Which former college basketball stars are on 2022 NBA draft radar after the Portsmouth Invitational?

Tyrese Martin | 6-6½ | Wing | UConn | 23.1 years old | No. 86 in Top 100​

Martin hasn't stood still for a moment since his season ended in the first round of the NCAA tournament, winning the 3x3U championship at the Final Four, leading all scorers with 22 points in 20 minutes in a win at the Reese's All-Star Game in New Orleans, and then leading the PIT in scoring as well, while finishing third in rebounding.

The versatile wing shot 43% for 3 this season at UConn and was regularly tasked with defending the opposing team's best perimeter player. He was able to show a little more vision and creativity as a passer at the PIT, plus glimpses of on-the-move shot-making, as well as his ability to fill lanes aggressively and finish in the open court.

At 199 pounds with a 6-8 wingspan and average explosiveness, Martin doesn't have elite physical tools defensively, nor is he the most gifted ball handler or overall scorer. But hard-nosed wing-players in his mold who can defend multiple positions, rebound and make shots consistently (although teams will scrutinize his 67% career free throw percentage) aren't that easy to come by, making him an easy candidate for a two-way contract in June. There's nothing particularly glamorous about his profile, but there's quite a bit of utility in what he offers.

Reaction Score
Which former college basketball stars are on 2022 NBA draft radar after the Portsmouth Invitational?

Tyrese Martin | 6-6½ | Wing | UConn | 23.1 years old | No. 86 in Top 100​

Martin hasn't stood still for a moment since his season ended in the first round of the NCAA tournament, winning the 3x3U championship at the Final Four, leading all scorers with 22 points in 20 minutes in a win at the Reese's All-Star Game in New Orleans, and then leading the PIT in scoring as well, while finishing third in rebounding.

The versatile wing shot 43% for 3 this season at UConn and was regularly tasked with defending the opposing team's best perimeter player. He was able to show a little more vision and creativity as a passer at the PIT, plus glimpses of on-the-move shot-making, as well as his ability to fill lanes aggressively and finish in the open court.

At 199 pounds with a 6-8 wingspan and average explosiveness, Martin doesn't have elite physical tools defensively, nor is he the most gifted ball handler or overall scorer. But hard-nosed wing-players in his mold who can defend multiple positions, rebound and make shots consistently (although teams will scrutinize his 67% career free throw percentage) aren't that easy to come by, making him an easy candidate for a two-way contract in June. There's nothing particularly glamorous about his profile, but there's quite a bit of utility in what he offers.
cool write-up, but if 199 pounds is a current weight for martin, i am kinda shocked. uconn lists him at 215 -- he certainly looks bigger than 200 to me.

Reaction Score
cool write-up, but if 199 pounds is a current weight for martin, i am kinda shocked. uconn lists him at 215 -- he certainly looks bigger than 200 to me.
That was my reaction reading that write up. Can he possibly weigh only 199 pounds?

Reaction Score

Danny and his staff should do a real deep dive how they did not exploit better what Josh had to offer. Obviously, they did not do what Kelvin Sampson and his staff were able to do. Will they take this self critical constructive step? I doubt it, but it’s the type of thing you do, if you are serious about improving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom