The Players Will Have a Vote | The Boneyard

The Players Will Have a Vote

Reaction Score
This may sound revolutionary, but it is not. One way or another the players will have a vote on UConn's hire. Either ratifying it by staying, grudgingly accepting it by staying ... for now, or heading to the portal ASAP.

The better alternative is to give them representation on the search committee. I would suggest the Captains.

Your comments?

Reaction Score
This may sound revolutionary, but it is not. One way or another the players will have a vote on UConn's hire. Either ratifying it by staying, grudgingly accepting it by staying ... for now, or heading to the portal ASAP.

The better alternative is to give them representation on the search committee. I would suggest the Captains.

Your comments?
Interesting...

Reaction Score
College football has fundamentally changed. The portal and NIL have empowered the players. Failure to have their buy in from the get-go will doom the next guy. UConn best recognize that fact.

And just to be clear, I am talking about full membership. Each has a vote and each participate in the interviews. Not some funky "seaking their input" arrangement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For most, if they want to play FBS football, this is likely their best option. I said somewhere else, you can't have the next guy come in and spend 3 years talking about the players he inherited not being good enough in the media like Edsall did. Everyone watching has eyes, and repeating that mantra makes the players feel like crap. No need to tell everyone things will improve as you bring in YOUR recruits. EVERYONE is recruiting all the time. I totally get why and how the Diaco players had their schadenfreude moment on social media this weekend. There was zero reason for week after week to go out and say "we tell em what to do, they're just not good enough to do it".

Benedict has to communicate this to the next hire.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
College football has fundamentally changed. The portal and NIL have empowered the players. Failure to have their buy in from the get-go will doom the next guy. UConn best recognize that fact.

And just to be clear, I am talking about full membership. Each has a vote and each participate in the interviews. Not some funky "seaking their input" arrangement.
NIL has empowered players that have commercial value...not sure I see one here right now.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but I don’t need our next coach beholden to a squad that gave up against HC. Next coach has full discretion in all regards, including player personnel.
Mark my words

Reaction Score
Where did you read that the players will have a vote?

Reaction Score
The players can have input, but a successful company NEVER lets the lunatics run the asylum. It is AD Dave's decision as CEO of the "Company" that counts. He can take player input under advisement & file it appropriately, but ultimately it is his call as it's HIS job on the line if he makes another bad hire.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

Your comments?
FWIW when I was in high school, I was the player representative when it came to choosing a new lacrosse coach. I met with the search committee and sat in on the interviews.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Your comments?

The three guys you most want to stay.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure it’s clear… do you want representation or do you want all 105 +/-players on the active roster to participate in the interviews for head coach?

Reaction Score
OK, then mark these: the entire athletic department should fold up shop if they are giving any input to their most important hire in decades to a team that can’t tackle HC’s quarterback on a must-have possession.
Are you as mystified as the rest of us why that is? The players have not bought in. Archaic approach to coaching much like your comments here. Industry got rid of this management style decades ago. Gotta change and recognize new realities. DB makes the final decision, but there are votes on whom to recommend for the short list. Need the players in on that.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure it’s clear… do you want representation or do you want all 105 players on the roster to participate in the interviews for head coach?
Representation. And I suggested the current Captains. But election of the Rep's could be by vote of the players would be another good option.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Your comments?
This would enhance our remarkable ability to select losers. What in the world can a player add? Would any player have picked Woody Hayes ?

Reaction Score
The three guys you most want to stay.
These guys will be gone by the time we produce a winner. There is no need for current player buy-in. It will probably take 5 years to get to respectability and a decade to become a top team from where we stand today. That is the lesson of history at other schools. Some, like Ruitgers, never made it to near the top. It is a very tough row to hoe and muddying it up with players will not help.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
OK, then mark these: the entire athletic department should fold up shop if they are giving any input to their most important hire in decades to a team that can’t tackle HC’s quarterback on a must-have possession.
In their defense, it’s not so much that they couldn’t tackle him, it’s more that they couldn’t catch him.

Reaction Score
The best way for the players to influence the new hire is to go out there and play hard on every snap from here on out. If they give up and get blown out every week we will never attract a coach with the experience and track record we need and will have to go with an unproven, high-risk candidate.

Reaction Score
This would enhance our remarkable ability to select losers. What in the world can a player add? Would any player have picked Woody Hayes ?
I guess that is the point. The days of Woody Hayes are long gone.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but I don’t need our next coach beholden to a squad that gave up against HC. Next coach has full discretion in all regards, including player personnel.
No one has suggested otherwise. But the players need a voice in selecting that person. Otherwise we will have another 4-5 years before "his guys" get fully populated into the new system.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No one has suggested otherwise. But the players need a voice in selecting that person. Otherwise we will have another 4-5 years before "his guys" get fully populated into the new system.
The "his guys" issue was created by Edsall to buy himself 5 years. Just hire a coach that doesn't make excuses. This isn't that complicated an issue.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Your comments?
I teach a leadership course. One of the main ways to get buy in from people is to include them in the process. Three cheers for this idea!

Reaction Score
The players can do as they like. The game has changed so that kids can move on with little restriction if they choose to do se. Not a chance in hell any one or twenty players' choice to remain should sway the decision on who the next HC will be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom