The Pitfalls of the JUCO Route | The Boneyard

The Pitfalls of the JUCO Route

Reaction Score
A Rutgers friend told me the alleged head of the credit card fraud there recently got an offer from AAC competitor ECU. He was a linebacker at some JUCO in Brooklyn after getting kicked off the Rutgers team. If we go this JUCO route to get REstorred, I think we run a high risk of getting a criminal element on the team. But if their crimes were limited to petty theft and academic cheating and they stayed away from the assaults, murder plots, armed robbery etc that the Rutgers guys specialize in, it might be worth it. Because I can't take much more of this team. I doubt RE will lower his standards though. So we face darkness everywhere we turn....no way out.

Reaction Score
DeVera was a UNH commit who decommitted, held a UConn offer under previous staff and made an official visit just before signing day under Edsall, committed to Delaware, decommitted and then committed to Rutgers.

He has a brother who is a 2019 TE who also committed to Rutgers, then decommitted when he brother got tossed.

Not sure how older Devera's criminal charges have been adjudicated

Reaction Score
JUCO, HS, Prep School routes are all risks.. so, I'm not buying into this. We keep the mindset of molding kids from only the route where they come from HS/Prep school, and can't find a way to get worthy JUCO kids we gotta serious problem.. We've finally got everything in place up in Storrs. The only dumb thing we did is build the doggone stadium where it was built... (shoulda been a lot closer.. BUT, we've got enough in place to get kids to play quality football at a quality university that provides them with a quality education...

No more of this JUCO route kid is wrong crap.. Enough is enough... You don't fill your entire team with them but they need to be a part of who we recruit.. we should see 2 or 3 a year IMO... max would be 5... We started from scratch so we need to look at ALL options...

Reaction Score
I often find posts here dumb but seldom take the time to actually say it.

" If we go this JUCO route to get REstorred, I think we run a high risk of getting a criminal element on the team."

You expecting HCRE2.0 to turn into Bobby Petrino? HCRE2.0 just closed down 2 players for the rest of the year so they can "get their academic house in order", and you're worried about him bringing in a criminal element!

Reaction Score
I actually have confidence in Randy Edsall as a manager of a Roster of 85 in FBS.

However ... we all have to admit, these are far different times than 2007-2009. You have to be far more mercenary; and I think he knows this. He can claim a great 15 FR in his latest class ... and we can see some of that. But, I look at a Buffalo on TV and notice that Leipold has kids from many programs coming in ... he has JUCO from California ... he takes GRAD transfers ... and he knows that upstate NY is not going to provide him much. WE - at UConn have a better current framework: better athletes from CT and NE and Prep near. But, Edsall needs to fill this next roster with about 10 guys from non-traditional sources. The reliance on Todd Orlando getting kids every class from Western PA is just not there; we don't see much going on with beating NJ/PA for desired kids. I trust Edsall's eyes; but, he is in a crucial period in the next 6 weeks bringing new guys to fill obvious holes.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How much would a few JUCO kids have helped us this year. The roster is a mess. Randy ripped the bandaid and got young kids experience. We talk about doing just that on the BY constantly. It sucks every single weekend but it was probably the right call.

Hopefully next year we'll show an improvement and 2020 it won't actually be painful to watch UConn football. That'd be nice.

Reaction Score
How much would a few JUCO kids have helped us this year. The roster is a mess. Randy ripped the bandaid and got young kids experience. We talk about doing just that on the BY constantly. It sucks every single weekend but it was probably the right call.

Hopefully next year we'll show an improvement and 2020 it won't actually be painful to watch UConn football. That'd be nice.
A couple of matured JUCO kids could be on field leaders and help these young kids get better. There is currently no leadership on this team outside of the coaches.

Reaction Score
Nonsensical post. If we go JUCO we take in a criminal element?

Kids go to JUCO for various reasons and we have had success with many of them. Heck, Cam Newton and Aaron Rodgers went to JUCO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom