The Pitch to Rich(ie) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Pitch to Rich(ie)

Reaction Score
I liked the little we saw out of Richie. Seemed coordinated and has good size. Hopefully, he contributes this year.
I agree. We don't see practice but he didn't look lost the few minutes he's played. There were games where he could have helped for a few minutes but never saw the floor. Has 2 years of barely playing stifled Richie's growth as a player or are we sleeping on springs?

Reaction Score
Discussion or speculation?

The only speculation is he’s a four-star who’s been on our bench for two years and I’m impressed that he is still engaged despite not seeing much hope for PT anytime soon.

very counter-culture for most players today IMO

Reaction Score
The only speculation is he’s a four-star who’s been on our bench for two years and I’m impressed that he is still engaged despite not seeing much hope for PT anytime soon.

very counter-culture for most players today IMO
He’s a 3 star FWIW. If he was to transfer he’d transfer down, so he might not want to or need to.

Reaction Score
He’s a 3 star FWIW. If he was to transfer he’d transfer down, so he might not want to or need to.
Interesting take.

To speculate, he may be staying this upcoming season, to see if he can develop his skills in practice against better players so that he can work himself into the game and be a better player from the internal competition.

If so, this is the year for him to find out, once and for all, unless he is staying for other reasons which I alluded to or speculated about in my previous response.

If he doesn't get into the game much this upcoming season, then it would make sense for a transfer down if he couldn't tolerate the situation for the season after 21-22.

Reaction Score
Was Richie a red shirt his first year? If so, does he rhave four years of eligibility left?

Reaction Score
Richie is about the same age as Andre Jackson, so came in pretty young as both will turn 20 later in 2021. Looking at his bio, didn't remember Richie played with Bouknight in highschool (and even though came to UConn at same time is actually a full year younger than Bouknight).

Reaction Score
Auriemma likes to say that coaches want to play every kid on the team. He tells his kids figure out a way to contribute, don’t worry about being OK at everything, just be really good at something. He’s going to have an exceptional amount of talent on his team next year. It will be interesting to see how that theory plays out.
I'll be honest, I feel bad for them gals and hope a couple go with Shae to Vanderbilt. His 2nd string could be a top 25 team and will get no minutes

Reaction Score
This upcoming season will be Richie Springs 3rd yr being a Husky and, most likely, buried in the depth chart (again)… What has/is Danny saying to him that would keep him engaged?
I don’t think he is buried in the depth chart.

Reaction Score
IMO.. RS has the physical talent to be a valuable bench player this year. The staff continues to be invested in his development and they obviously see his potential in practice on a daily basis. I trust DH's eye for talent. This off season will be another opportunity to enhance his skill set and gain more SnC. Needs to earn PT in practice.

Agree with @tcf15 about using IW as an example of where hard work can get you. No one better than IW to deliver that message to RS.

Predicting he will be one of the surprise players on this year's roster. Still on the young side with 4 years of eligibility .
Agree, the two players the well meaning Casual Fans underestimate the most are Richard Springs and Jalen Gaffney.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is buried in the depth chart.
guess it depends on what your definition of buried is. does 3rd string PF/C qualify? altho i have a sneaking suspicion that you're not expecting akok to have a big role once again

PF- whaley (15); akok (20); springs (5)
C- sanogo (25); whaley (10); springs (5)

if springs isnt buried on the depth chart then samson certainly is

Reaction Score
guess it depends on what your definition of buried is. does 3rd string PF/C qualify? altho i have a sneaking suspicion that you're not expecting akok to have a big role once again

if spring's isnt buried on the depth chart than samson certainly is
Those minutes don’t seem unreasonable on their own, except that there are no minutes for Samson Johnson. I also assume Polley and maybe Martin will be playing the 4 in small lineups. We really will have one of the deepest frontcourts in the nation.

Reaction Score

if springs isnt buried on the depth chart then samson certainly is
How many minutes did you allocate to Akok last season?
How many minutes did you allocate to Adam’s or Polley last season?
Lots of unknown variables happen.
All I can say is Springs shows some good stuff in practice and pickup. That usually translates to minutes. Absent games - that’s what I go by.

Reaction Score
How many minutes did you allocate to Akok last season?
How many minutes did you allocate to Adam’s or Polley last season?
0 mpg for akok
~5 mpg for adams
~15 mpg for polley
but i dont see how this is really relevant to my questions about springs and akok next season

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom