"The Pink Room" video series on WBB | The Boneyard

"The Pink Room" video series on WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Folks on this board might enjoy watching Ros Gold-Onwude and Kevin Danna's new video series on YouTube. In the first episode, Ros talks about how to defend against Griner. In the second, she explains some basics about UConn's defense.

They are also giving a short rundown on the #15-#1 teams in the country, but I don't find that part as interesting.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePinkRoomWBB

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Folks on this board might enjoy watching Ros Gold-Onwude and Kevin Danna's new video series on YouTube. In the first episode, Ros talks about how to defend against Griner. In the second, she explains some basics about UConn's defense.

They are also giving a short rundown on the #15-#1 teams in the country, but I don't find that part as interesting.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePinkRoomWBB
Cardfan
- Guess I’m with you,… now
- The growing UConn-Stanford rivalry has become my WBCC favorite. So, frankly, I was just glad she graduated… then, happier to see her excellent writing linked earlier here on the Boneyard. But now this… great stuff, particularly from such a recent player. Hope she keeps up her early momentum and success in WBCC analysis – she’s certainly got a knack for it, and clearly is going to have even more fans.
- And…
….
CompSci87
- These graphics are golden – her picture of UConn’s press is worth a 1,000 words.
- Her bullet-points explaining our press-success were invaluable for me as a UConn fan trying to appreciate this stuff. Not only fundamentals of the press structure, but insight on the role of interchangeable Husky guards. Her intentionally-simple graphics are a unique and innovative supplement... to all the great written insight I enjoy at the Boneyard.
- Agree; graphics on somehow trying to confront Brittney Griner were fun and definitely germane as a Husky fan at this point in our season.
- Hope she does more on UConn and related opponents - especially whenever this timely.
- Thanks – a 1,000 - for posting this link.
(PS: Palo Alto has Compost Science majors? )
:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ros had UConn playing a 2-2-1 press but we have actually been playing 1-2-1-1. But she did do a good job with the presentation.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Thanks a lot for highlighting that, Icebear. Googled 1-2-1-1 and really enjoyed rewatching Huskyvision games today focused on that press structure.

Reaction Score
Ros had UConn playing a 2-2-1 press but we have actually been playing 1-2-1-1. But she did do a good job with the presentation.

She actually said what Uconn runs the most is the 2-2-1, but often looks like a 1-2-1-1

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She said UConn most often runs a 2-2-1 and it looks like a 1-1-2-1 still a different press. The 1-2-1-1 creates a triangle at the top from which trapping the corners is easier. It, also, leaves the off corner guard and the mid court defender better angles from which to cut off the out pass, especially if you have a team with great quickness and hoops IQ anticipating the play.

Reaction Score
I played and coached Div 1 bball, so I understand the nuances of the different presses. My pt was her description of Uconn's press was a general observation stating "they often run" was correct.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I played and coached Div 1 bball, so I understand the nuances of the different presses. My pt was her description of Uconn's press was a general observation stating "they often run" was correct.
How often does she see UConn play compared to how often Ice does?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What she said UConn is "most often" running which is not presently correct. I believe Geno and Meghan, also, noted the 1-2-1-1 as our press recently. Most frequently either Bria or KML has been playing the point but others like Brianna Banks has been there, too. Ros may well have made an assumption based on the past. I noted it not to criticize Ros and said she did a good job but because less experienced fans currently watching UConn would not recognize what she had laid out.

Sorry, I did not know you played or coached basketball at any level just wanted folks to know that what she described is not what we UConn fans are seeing currently so they shouldn't be confused. Truth is that UConn does use both but are using the 1-2-1-1 most recently with the four guard lineup. Another name for the 1-2-1-1 is the Diamond and 1 press because it takes a 2-2-1 press and stands it corner to the baseline to pressure or front the ball. The 2-2-1 places more value on the passing lanes and on court players.

For those wanting info on the 1-2-1-1 here is an animated explanation of the principles.
http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/pdefensepress541-2-1-1fullcourtpress.html

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It definitely looks like a 1-2-1-1 to me, I think it's interesting that he has Kiah run the point if she's in. I wonder if Breanna Stewart will be there next year? I predict a lot of inbounds steals...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It definitely looks like a 1-2-1-1 to me, I think it's interesting that he has Kiah run the point if she's in. I wonder if Breanna Stewart will be there next year? I predict a lot of inbounds steals...
Yep, it all depends on how much on ball pressure you want and how quickly you want to pressure secondary passes.

Reaction Score

Maybe she was going by the times she played against Uconn.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Here's a response from Ros and Kevin with a correction and thanks:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We watched the TA&M game back and they are correct. While UConn started the game out in a 2-2-1 press, they are more often in a 1-2-1-1 for the duration of the game. We’ve edited the press segment & the rest of the UConn D breakdown is the same. Here’s the link to the updated Episode #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDOoesoCigE

We hope our coverage is well explained and as close to perfect as possible- and if there is ever an occasion where it is not- we are committed to fixing it so that it is.

If anyone has access to their board please foward this note along and tell them:
1) Thanks for watching!
2) Thanks for the feedback; we hope they appreciate the update. :)

-The Pink Room (Ros & KD)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great correction and as I said originally they did a good job with a simple and direct presentation. Ros is showing the kind of growth a young broadcaster needs to demonstrate.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with the breakdown of defense, and with the program, overally. A bit corny at times, but fun and informative. Well work the time to watch.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Great correction and as I said originally they did a good job with a simple and direct presentation. Ros is showing the kind of growth a young broadcaster needs to demonstrate.
Ice you're the MAN... as I said you see UConn play more than she has!

Reaction Score
I just got off the phone with Ros; she's going to be a guest on Dishin & Swishin this week talking about not only the Pink Room but her experience this past summer trying out for and then playing with the Nigerian national team (great stuff!).

She told me how psyched she was that the Boneyard is watching the show, she's very thankful for the support and help in looking at things, and she hopes you will continue to watch and participate in the show!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score

- CompSci: Thanks again for this link and now especially for immediately forwarding Icebear’s excellent insight. Just terrific of them to immediately take that in, and update those graphics just in time for the big UConn- Baylor game. Hope they see Tomcat’s comments – I agree with every word.

- Nice to see Dishin & Swishin is already all over this brand new site. Big pictures, small words, fast, clear insight that’s a pleasure to watch.

-Already looking forward to next time Ros & KD may provide further insight regarding UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom