The PG situation seems clear going forward | The Boneyard

The PG situation seems clear going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bouknight is the team's point guard and primary offense initiator. Cole and Gaffney need to basically be shooters and occasional playmakers when we have the defense in rotation or on a fast break. Should only have 1 in a game at a time to guard the other team's point guard.

We need to be running Bouk/Whaley pick and rolls constantly like we did in the beginning of the 2nd half.

Bouk, Cole/Gaffney, Martin, Whaley. 5th player will hopefully be Akok or Jackson by March.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is the team's point guard and primary offense initiator. Cole and Gaffney need to basically be shooters and occasional playmakers when we have the defense in rotation or on a fast break. Should only have 1 in a game at a time to guard the other team's point guard.

We need to be running Bouk/Whaley pick and rolls constantly like we did in the beginning of the 2nd half.

Bouk, Cole/Gaffney, Martin, Whaley. 5th player will hopefully be Akok or Jackson by March.
I don't think calling Bouk the PG changes much. Either Cole or Gaff are going to be on the floor... and they are guards. They'll need to do guard stuff. Stop their man (they did that adequate today), hit open shots, run offense, run break, etc...

But getting more out of Bouk is always welcome. Even though he did a lot today. Except hit daggers late to ice it. Oh well. Certainly not trying to rain of Bouk's parade. He was very good.

Reaction Score

Yup. Bouk is our PG. RJ is a 6’0 SG. Gaff is hopefully Austrie. Not sure what BA is. He was good for a lot of last season, maybe the introduction of Martin has hurt his confidence. He needs to have that downhill mindset he had, don’t know what’s happened. But between him and Gaff, whoever is having a good game needs to be in, and the other only to spell someone for about 2 mins at a time.

Reaction Score
Yup. Bouk is our PG. RJ is a 6’0 SG. Gaff is hopefully Austrie. Not sure what BA is. He was good for a lot of last season, maybe the introduction of Martin has hurt his confidence. He needs to have that downhill mindset he had, don’t know what’s happened. But between him and Gaff, whoever is having a good game needs to be in, and the other only to spell someone for about 2 mins at a time.
Adams plays like he’s a pure shooter, but he’s just not. I think playing Jackson at his expense is a no brainer going forward.

Reaction Score
I don't think calling Bouk the PG changes much. Either Cole or Gaff are going to be on the floor... and they are guards. They'll need to do guard stuff. Stop their man (they did that adequate today), hit open shots, run offense, run break, etc...

But getting more out of Bouk is always welcome. Even though he did a lot today. Except hit daggers late to ice it. Oh well. Certainly not trying to rain of Bouk's parade. He was very good.
The point is Cole and Gaffney shouldn't be playing together most of the game and the Cole, Gaffney, Adams lineup is just ridiculous. Bouknight should be initiating offense and just one of Cole Gaffney should be sharing the backcourt with him. I get that Polley and Akok aren't ready but Jackson needs to pick up some of those minutes. Lineup and rotation is going to look drastically different later in the season, I think it needs to look different next game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The point is Cole and Gaffney shouldn't be playing together most of the game and the Cole, Gaffney, Adams lineup is just ridiculous. Bouknight should be initiating offense and just one of Cole Gaffney should be sharing the backcourt with him. I get that Polley and Akok aren't ready but Jackson needs to pick up some of those minutes. Lineup and rotation is going to look drastically different later in the season, I think it needs to look different next game.
Jackson should pick up no minutes. He should be playing less than he already is.

Bouk needs to play the entire game. We had lineups out there today that couldn't score against anyone. And geez- these guys couldn't practice, but could they at least get some 3's up during the down time? No one can shoot!

Reaction Score
Adams plays like he’s a pure shooter, but he’s just not. I think playing Jackson at his expense is a no brainer going forward.
You’re right, I just don’t know why. When he has confidence he is strong going to the basket. Maybe Hurley can flip a switch for him.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I like the plan. Cole and Gaff just need to get better. One of them well. I'm confident.

I'm also not sure how often that lineup you describe exists. It's only when Bouk is out. He can't play the entire game.

I know there are plenty who disagree, but I think Gaff finds his shot a bit. Finds it with more practice. Finds his way back to the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Jackson should pick up no minutes. He should be playing less than he already is.

Bouk needs to play the entire game. We had lineups out there today that couldn't score against anyone. And geez- these guys couldn't practice, but could they at least get some 3's up during the down time? No one can shoot!
Lol c'mon now. Stop being a clown. Jackson deserves more minutes, especially when the rest of the crew isn't contributing whatsoever.

Reaction Score
We definitely need to let Bouk run 15-20 pick-and-rolls a game but Creighton countered Hurley's adjustment after Bouk torched them the first five minutes of the second half and that was that--Bouk was quiet for a long stretch of the second half. We simply need other guys to contribute. It's not hard to contain the PnR game when you don't have to worry about shooters. Nonetheless, Bouk running PnR is by far the best our offense has looked all season.

Bouk running point on our motion sets and whatnot isn't necessary. Keep him off the ball where the system can create stuff for him (I swear that's not tongue-in-cheek after today). Mix it up to show the defense different things--plenty of Bouk PnR and plenty of motion, quick-hitters, etc.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I like the plan. Cole and Gaff just need to get better. One of them well. I'm confident.

I'm also not sure how often that lineup exists. It's only when Bouk is out. He can't play the entire game.

I know there are plenty who disagree, but I think Gaff finds his shot a bit. Finds it with more practice. And finds his way back to the starting lineup.
The problem with Gaffney is he literally refuses to look for his own shot. Regardless of if he can make them or not you don't even need to worry about him as an offensive threat if you're game planning against us right now.

Martin was in the same category today. He only looks to score in transition, otherwise he's a flag pole.

Reaction Score
I think Bouk and Gaff are both hovering on being a net positive player. They both already play solid D. If one of them learns to run a solid break and hit a decent percentage of their open 3s we'll be solid. The numbers are with us. We've got 2 guys who need to improve some basic pg things. I like out chances. Two chances for one player to make some kinda small improvements. The odds are with us.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Lol c'mon now. Stop being a clown. Jackson deserves more minutes, especially when the rest of the crew isn't contributing whatsoever.
Ok, I'll give you that.

But if he gets 10 minutes next game, and produces his usual nada, I want you to apologize.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I'm conflicted. As PG, Bouk would necessarily be responsible for more assists.

As he is our primary scorer, that is not an easy set of priorities to juggle.

Reaction Score
The problem with Gaffney is he literally refuses to look for his own shot. Regardless of if he can make them or not you don't even need to worry about him as an offensive threat if you're game planning against us right now.

Martin was in the same category today. He only looks to score in transition, otherwise he's a flag pole.
Gaff took a late three today that probably wins the game if he hits. He missed a late layup that if he ran better probably wins the game. Two very basic pg things that can be improved.

Reaction Score

Martin has no feel whatsoever offensively but I like when he's on the floor. He defends, he rebounds, he's good in the open court, and he has a little but of a bully in him. I'll take the offensive deficiencies for everything else he gives you. Guys that are not bringing anything to the table offensively and don't do any of the above are the issue. Not Martin.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Once Akok is back I may around and say let’s play

Bouk
Martin
Akok
Whaley
Sanogo

it

Reaction Score
Gaff took a late three today that probably wins the game if he hits. He missed a late layup that if he ran better probably wins the game. Two very basic pg things that can be improved.

Gaffney and Adams took inexplicably horrendous shots on consecutive possessions with about 5:30 left to go and Creighton scored both times.

Reaction Score
Gaffney and Adams took inexplicably horrendous shots on consecutive possessions with about 5:30 left to go and Creighton scored both times.
And they both played pretty solid D all night. So they have one side of the ball covered 4 games in. I think the things people are concerned about like shot selection can be cleaned up with more practice. I also think Gaff will start hitting some of his open shots.

Reaction Score
And they both played pretty solid D all night. So they have one side of the ball covered 4 games in. I think the things people are concerned about like shot selection can be cleaned up with more practice. I also think Gaff will start hitting some of his open shots.
Gaffney’s shots didn’t go in but they didn’t look bad. I’m fine with him shooting, and would actually love if he did it more. Teams can/will sag off of him if he doesn’t start looking for his shot more. He’s good at ball security so becoming a consistent shooting threat would do wonders for this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104