The Path to 2020 Bowl Eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Path to 2020 Bowl Eligibility

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If we get to 6-6 and don't go bowling, it's a win -- win. A much improved team, and a season worth watching, but leaving something important for the whiners to complain about.
What whiners are even still around for you to be snarky to?

Reaction Score
Hey after what we’ve been through lately I for one will have no issue with playing in ANY bowl we get invited to. I’d certainly prefer something East coasty because I can get there but if it is Hawaii I won’t complain

Reaction Score
A Spackler paraphrase! The real Spackler!
What whiners are even still around for you to be snarky to?

LOL. Wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. But anyone (and there were a few) who decided that a true freshman from another country couldn't develop into a competent QB WHILE HE WAS THROWING FOR 400 YARDS IN A GAME would qualify.

Reaction Score
Liberty's possible Bowls...per ESPN contract...if no conference team affiliated with the bowls is eligible, Liberty gets a shot.

Boca Raton Bowl (FAU Stadium)
Camellia Bowl (Montgomery)
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Boise)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Conway, SC)
New Mexico Bowl (Alberquerque)

Reaction Score
Liberty gets the ESPN bowl agreement...but Liberty has an exclusive multiyear agreement with ESPN to broadcast their home football games.

Reaction Score
Contract or NoContract

it’s always about money with the Color Blazers. If the UCONN brand brings eyeballs or fannies in their seats, we are ok. Same with Liberty. If some school with a smidge worse record is available, they’ll self rationalize a reason

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The rules for bowl eligibility have changed since 2003. The chances of a 6-6 UConn team being left out are lower and 7-5 being left out are zero. The catch is that you get whatever bowl needs a slot filled and none of them are good, pretty much shut out of playing a P5 opponent unless we get our own bowl agreements.

Any bowl that is an easy travel would take us if they have a spot to fill and their current partners can't supply an eligible team and a local team isn't available.
As a 6-6 Indy, bowl prestige is less important than the 10-15 extra practices.

Reaction Score
LOL. Wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. But anyone (and there were a few) who decided that a true freshman from another country couldn't develop into a competent QB WHILE HE WAS THROWING FOR 400 YARDS IN A GAME would qualify.
I think it was the same guys who complained our offense was too conservative against UMass as we had 2 backs go over 100 yards and scored over 50 points. Some would have been happier if we threw it and scored 30.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But anyone (and there were a few) who decided that a true freshman from another country couldn't develop into a competent QB WHILE HE WAS THROWING FOR 400 YARDS IN A GAME would qualify.
Je comprends

Reaction Score
My guess is if UConn goes 6-6 in 2020, they there will be no bowl, but on their deathbed, they will receive eternal consciousness. So they have that going for them...which is nice.

In all seriousness, I don't think a bowl is waiting for UConn at 6-6 with no tie-in, but it should begin the discussions in earnest for future tie-in agreements.
Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-lagunga

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Year 4, stuff better start clicking. We need strong line play, that's was our strength in RE's first session. With strong line play on both sides of the ball, the team can compete. If UConn is pushed around next year, forgetaboutit, any luster that remains is gone.

If they're not bowl eligible, it's time to move on.

Reaction Score
Liberty gets the ESPN bowl agreement...but Liberty has an exclusive multiyear agreement with ESPN to broadcast their home football games.
Which is why I think we should try to get a ESPN+ deal for the football team. I think ESPN broadcasts 88% of bowl games and unless FOX is willing to sponsor some random bowl game with a guaranteed UConn tie in, we'd be in an interesting situation when it comes to bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score
As a 6-6 Indy, bowl prestige is less important than the 10-15 extra practices.

So true. That extra practice time is so much more valuable to the teams scraping to win 6 games than the teams winning 10+. Wherever you go hardly matters compared to getting those young kids those extra reps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom