The Path to 2020 Bowl Eligibility | The Boneyard

The Path to 2020 Bowl Eligibility

Reaction Score
Whether the suits can strike a deal to make sure that, at 6-6, we go to a bowl game as an Indy or not, 6-6 is the obvious goal for next year. Now that the schedule has come out, it breaks down pretty easily.

We play three teams at home that are currently above 140 in the Sagarins: Maine, ODU and UMass. While the first two might have been better than us this year per the computers, if any of those games next year are lost it becomes absolutely fair to ask whether Esall's "slow rebuild" is in fact a non-rebuild. These all have to be wins, period.

We play five P-5 teams: Indiana at home and UVA, UNC, Ole Miss and Illinois on the road. All of these teams are grouped between 32 and 61 in the Sagarins. While at Illinois and Indiana may be our best shots, realistically neither progress nor bowl eligibility requires winning any of these games.

We then play four teams who, while not good by any stretch, are between 92 and 141 in the Sagarins and had much better years than us: Army, Liberty and Middle (MTSU) at home and at San Jose State. We close the year @ S.J. State, and home to Middle and Army. If we don't split those 4 games at a minimum, I don't know where we're going. If we get 2 wins, a 5-7 year would certainly be progress. But if we get 2, I want 3 and bowl eligibility. The hardest games this year would have been Army, which is the best of the 4 teams, and at SJSU just because it's a long road trip. So as the season progresses, measured not by eye tests but Ws, I want to beat Liberty and be at 4--5 going into that last three game stretch. Then it will be time to see how much improvement there has been and how badly the team wants it.

I will do a 241 at the end of the season, but I will make one point here: getting better as a football team and learning how to win are not the same thing. We got better as a football team. Our progress, however, is very hard to measure or care about because we were not able to do what we had to do to win winnable games. That has to come next year. Just as the basketball team struggled with it against Xavier and St. Joes, you have to have belief and desire -- not just talent -- to win games that could go either way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether the suits can strike a deal to make sure that, at 6-6, we go to a bowl game as an Indy or not, 6-6 is the obvious goal for next year. Now that the schedule has come out, it breaks down pretty easily.

We play three teams at home that are currently above 140 in the Sagarins: Maine, ODU and UMass. While the first two might have been better than us this year per the computers, if any of those games next year are lost it becomes absolutely fair to ask whether Esall's "slow rebuild" is in fact a non-rebuild. These all have to be wins, period.

We play five BCS teams: Indiana at home and UVA, UNC, Ole Miss and Illinois on the road. All of these teams are grouped between 32 and 61 in the Sagarins. While at Illinois and Indiana may be our best shots, realistically neither progress nor bowl eligibility requires winning any of these games.

We then play four teams who, while not good by any stretch, are between 92 and 141 in the Sagarins and had much better years than us: Army, Liberty and Middle (MTSU) at home and at San Jose State. We close the year @ S.J. State, and home to Middle and Army. If we don't split those 4 games at a minimum, I don't know where we're going. If we get 2 wins, a 5-7 year would certainly be progress. But if we get 2, I want 3 and bowl eligibility. The hardest games this year would have been Army, which is the best of the 4 teams, and at SJSU just because it's a long road trip. So as the season progresses, measured not by eye tests but Ws, I want to beat Liberty and be at 4--5 going into that last three game stretch. Then it will be time to see how much improvement there has been and how badly the team wants it.

I will do a 241 at the end of the season, but I will make one point here: getting better as a football team and learning how to win are not the same thing. We got better as a football team. Our progress, however, is very hard to measure or care about because we were not able to do what we had to do to win winnable games. That has to come next year. Just as the basketball team struggled with it against Xavier and St. Joes, you have to have belief and desire -- not just talent -- to win games that could go either way.

This will not happen with this staff I am afraid. If we make a bowl game it will be despite the staff.

Reaction Score
Next year will be interesting. Will be starting the season with experience at QB, several quality WRs, a strong running game. Medlock and Rose back at TE should be a solid group. OL will be the big question with the loss of Peart, DeGeorge and Leone. A host of RS freshmen should add to depth at several positions. Hopefully there are no more surprise transfers.

Can only expect that the defense will continue to improve with so many young players and expected continuity on the coaching staff. Edsall's system of bringing in Freshmen and redshirting most should finally take hold and the roster will develop accordingly. Whether this system works in the grad transfer era is still to be determined.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We were two plays each from beating ECU and Houston. Maybe 3 from beating Illinois.

Do better in the TO margin and limit back breaking mistakes. Still need to be better in all phases and all position groups but after 11 games I'm comfortable says there has been improvement. Not a lot, not what was expected, but noticeable. A similar jump next season would turn a lot of heads.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

We play five P-5 teams: Indiana at home and UVA, UNC, Ole Miss and Illinois on the road. All of these teams are grouped between 32 and 61 in the Sagarins. While at Illinois and Indiana may be our best shots, realistically neither progress nor bowl eligibility requires winning any of these games.

Welcome home

Reaction Score
How many 6-6 Indy's not named ND, BYU or Army make bowl games?

Reaction Score
How many 6-6 Indy's not named ND, BYU or Army make bowl games?

We’ll soon start to find out since Liberty, New Mexico State and UMass all have bowl tie-in agreements in hand if eligible (some more robust than others).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We went 9-3 as an Indy and didn’t bowl. Granted there’s about a zillion bowls and considering they invite 5-7 teams I think 6-6 should get us in most years

Reaction Score
It should be close next season. Against that schedule, UConn could realistically go 6-1 at home and 1-4 on the road.

Reaction Score
We need to tell RE that thanks for your service, but we need to go with a new staff!! If we have a winning record with RE, I'll go on YouTube and tell RE that he did great!

Reaction Score
Only four 6 win teams missed a bowl last season...there were 78 slots and 82 teams above .500.

6-5 Southern Miss
6-6 Miami of Ohio
6-6 Wyoming
6-6 UL Monroe

6-6 Liberty also missed a bowl,,,two FCS opponents did not count as wins.

Reaction Score
We went 9-3 as an Indy and didn’t bowl. Granted there’s about a zillion bowls and considering they invite 5-7 teams I think 6-6 should get us in most years
Not a good comparison in that there were not as many bowls then. Also now there is a rule I believe that 5-7 teams can only go after all 6-6 teams. It may be the Sleeping Rodent Bowl in Punxsutawney PA but if we go 6-6 I’m pretty confident we go. If we go 7-4 (let me dream) we definitely will.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not a good comparison in that there were not as many bowls then. Also now there is a rule I believe that 5-7 teams can only go after all 6-6 teams. It may be the Sleeping Rodent Bowl in Punxsutawney PA but if we go 6-6 I’m pretty confident we go. If we go 7-4 (let me dream) we definitely will.
Sooooooo you agree with literally everything I said?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My guess is if UConn goes 6-6 in 2020, they there will be no bowl, but on their deathbed, they will receive eternal consciousness. So they have that going for them...which is nice.

In all seriousness, I don't think a bowl is waiting for UConn at 6-6 with no tie-in, but it should begin the discussions in earnest for future tie-in agreements.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I see a maximum of 4 wins.
If the team gets four wins next year does REv2 keep his job? It would be close but I don't think so unless they were toward the end of the season and there was a clear upward trend. I think 5 is the minimum that RE needs to keep his job, and that keeps him on the hot seat.

Reaction Score
My guess is if UConn goes 6-6 in 2020, they there will be no bowl, but on their deathbed, they will receive eternal consciousness. So they have that going for them...which is nice.

A Spackler paraphrase! The real Spackler!

By the way, I have no idea if at 6-6 we go bowling or not. Given the last decade, can't say I'll care until we get to 6 wins. While extra practices are always beneficial, it's not like the bowl we'd go to at 6-6, beating teams all above 100 in the computer rankings, would or should get us to a bowl that I'd want to go to.

Reaction Score
I see a maximum of 4 wins.
That would be progress. Last year 1 win, this year 2 wins, next year 4 wins, 2021, 8 win minimum!

A lot of it will come down to QB play.

Reaction Score
We'll improve next season. We may not be extraordinarily talented at QB, but we'll have two guys with experience who can be proficient at this level. They will have a good crop of receivers to throw to and a good RB behind them.

The defense will also improve, but by god we have to get some talent and depth at LB.

I think BL is right, by the end of next season the progress has to be clear or the question has to be asked if Edsall's system can work.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The rules for bowl eligibility have changed since 2003. The chances of a 6-6 UConn team being left out are lower and 7-5 being left out are zero. The catch is that you get whatever bowl needs a slot filled and none of them are good, pretty much shut out of playing a P5 opponent unless we get our own bowl agreements.

Any bowl that is an easy travel would take us if they have a spot to fill and their current partners can't supply an eligible team and a local team isn't available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom