The Path Smoothed | The Boneyard

The Path Smoothed

Reaction Score
So we're half-way home. And instead of facing a steep, arduous climb to the championship, the path ahead appears before us as a downhill stroll, barriers cleared, and home straight ahead. Oregon has eliminated the two biggest threats in the bracket: Duke, and their Coach Joann ("the talent level is down") McCallie, bent on revenge for stealing Azura Stevens, and Maryland, which for two years running has offered a tenacious challenge to UConn. The semi-final game against what was supposed to be the odds-on favorite to win it all- Baylor- is now to feature what Boneyarders considered the weakest #2 seed in the tournament- Mississippi State. And waiting in the championship game, a game that UConn has never lost, is not Connecticut's bete noir, Notre Dame, but either a vulnerable Stanford with the lesser Samuelson sister, or a depleted South Carolina, with a hobbled point guard and missing their most ominous post player. So we're set for a gentle stroll to championship number twelve. Or are we?

That Oregon team features two freshmen post players who stand 6'4" and 6'5", as well as two other players of six feet or above. So in terms of height, they rival South Carolina's line-up before Alaina Coates went down. This is a team that has defeated four ranked teams- Washington, Temple, Duke, and Maryland- in their last five games. Their only loss is to Final Four team Stanford. And Oregon's freshmen are doing what our erstwhile Big Three did their freshman year: turning into basketball butterflies during the NCAA tournament. They've transformed themselves over the past few weeks. Every team they've played recently thought Oregon would be an easy W. But they weren't.

Perhaps Notre Dame only went down to Stanford because of the loss of Brianna Turner in the previous game. Or perhaps, Stanford is also getting better, and would have knocked them off anyway. I see South Carolina as being a more formidable team without Coates than with her. Without her, A'ja Wilson has become the go-to player she should have been all along. She's really taken the reins. So I'm not certain that South Carolina goes in wounded.

On paper, this is the ideal path to the championship: no Duke, no Maryland, no Notre Dame, a lesser South Carolina, a team we've already defeated this year. But for some reason, it doesn't feel like a done deal.

These remaining teams are tough. And Oregon believes in themselves.

A path smoothed? I wonder....

Reaction Score
At this time of the year, in this tournament, seedings and regular season records don't mean a thing. If Duke and Maryland were the better team they would have been here instead of Oregon. One game at a time, survive and advance. Dot not mess with the MOJO!!!

Reaction Score
Well, now, you;'re absolutely right. "On paper," as usual, really makes no difference...
Stanford was better than Notre Dame, and has been getting better as the tournament progressed.....
Mississippi State was better than Baylor....
Oregon, a team that certainly has been trending upward for the last few weeks, was better than Maryland.

So tonight UConn faces a team that is peaking, and if UConn gets by them, will face other teams that are peaking and that have beaten the teams that most of us feared. I still think UConn can/will win it all, but IMHO, anyone who expects an easy time with any of them is delusional.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To win this next championship UCONN was going to have to beat some very good teams, that has not changed. I am grateful that this kind of thinking "smoothed path" has not and will never carry over to a Geno coached UCONN team. The team does not choose its path to the championship. I think it ironic that a few of the other contenders may have tripped themselves up by looking too far down their path.

"The next 40 minutes is all that matters"
Geno Auriema-reminder to the team on 25 March 2017.

Reaction Score
Small quick guards have been trouble for UConn as have big, 6'7" centers. What does Miss State have? Both. Stanford has well coached, hot team. ??? "Smoothed?" at this time of year, don't fool yourself.

Reaction Score
Only idiots dismiss other teams! SC has to get through FSU and without coates its going to be a tough game. I picked fsu to face uconn in the NC game so i wouldn't count them out yet as you seen what happened to nd, baylor and Maryland so far.

Reaction Score
If the point of the post that we currently have a higher likelihood of winning the championship than we did on Saturday then that is correct. . If the point of the post is that this will be a smooth/easy path then that is not correct.

Reaction Score
Caution is an admirable trait, and it's Geno's job to keep the ladies focused. However, I am throwing caution to the wind in agreeing that, indeed, the path is GREATLY smoothed.

In the wake of Tonyc's (C for Cockeyed) optimism and Carnac's equal fervor, I am prompted to toss in my 2 cents. Geno said in a pre-tournament interview that he wouldn't mind it if UConn's difficult path to the NC was made easier by a few upsets. Well, the path ahead included Maryland, Baylor, and Notre Dame. Not anymore. Each of those number ones is well-coached and has talent about equal to the Huskies'. All are gone. Now we face Oregon, Miss. State, and either Stanford (my pick) or SC. Those teams also have good coaches but lack UConn's talent level. Ergo: a much easier path.

Of course, the Huskies will have to put 5 threats on the court every night. Lou's performance against UCLA has been criticized, some claiming that she “disappeared.” But what of Kia? Where was she in that game? Saniya picked up some of the slack, and Pheesa and Gabby made it enough to win. But for the remaining games, UConn's superiority will depend on a total team out-put. Sabrina isn't going to win the Ducks' game by herself, and Itsy-Bitsy isn't going to score 41 points again (she got a total of 11 in the first three games). Stanford isn't very scary, and I expect the Gamecockies to be heading home today. (The danger of SC is that the Husky interior players might pick up too many fouls with both Aja and Coates under the hoop. In the absence of Alaina, UConn should have little problem with Wilson and Davis alone if SC goes through.)

So: Tony and Carnac and you other optimists out there are correct: it's 3 wins to the NC. For those looking ahead, the Huskies may not lose a game again in my lifetime. If you consider this to be a jinx, I apologize. Just calling it like I see it. :)

Reaction Score
#44 on the ducks has height but looked lost against Maryland. 6'5 and had 4 points 3 bounds and 4 fouls in 20 minutes. Height only matters if you can use it. Maybe it was just an off game but doesn't get easier tonight for her.

As far as our path, we're Uconn and everyone else is just in our way of our goal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those looking ahead, the Huskies may not lose a game again in my lifetime.

live.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, here's my take. UConn's speed, passing and relentless attack, is something that has to be experience to be fully appreciated. Anytime we are taking on a team that is seeing us for the first time, that is a distinct advantage for us, or at least a disadvantage for them. I think Geno has said that he would rather play teams that are getting a first look then teams that could have learned from their mistakes.

All the teams left in the tournament are dangerous. As I have said all season, this team, though very good, as a razor thin margin for success . I take nothing for granted.

Reaction Score
From the beginning of the season no one (including me) believed we can go to this stage.

I truly believe Geno and the team work and the BYers' faith are the reasons we will win the NC ....

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
... Stanford with the lesser Samuelson sister ...

They are quite close. Although Karlie is the better 3FG shooter by percentage. But the question is: Does Karlie play good defense? ;)
Code:
         FG%    3FG%    FT%    REB    A    A/TO   BLK   STL
Karlie   48.5   49.0    86.4   3.5   2.7   1.9    9.0   40.0
Lou      49.0   42.5    83.7   3.9   3.2   1.7    8.0   51.0

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great OP.
I said in some thread over the last week (in one of my numerous postings :cool:, retirement leaves one so much time!), very few teams go through the NCAA tournament without a wobble in one game and I think we see the results of that playing out. Maybe teams get ahead of themselves or maybe six game stretches are asking for too much consistency from any team, but it happens. Luckily for Uconn over the last decade it has happened either early in the tournament against weaker teams where they have a margin for error, or it has only manifested itself for a half of basketball instead of a whole game - they come out slow, or they get a little too comfy with a lead in the second half. And they are the gold standard for consistency as well - going 10 and 20 game stretches every season without throwing a wobble, so what is the problem with a six game streak of consistency. I see the UCLA game as such a wobble.

Maryland and Baylor specifically both went through the first weekend on fire this year but their recent history and going back years has shown them to be 'consistent wobblers' - and it hit again this weekend. Neither played their best basketball against teams that did, and it wasn't for just a half but for a whole game which is also their history - they don't do mid-game corrections really well. SC is also historically an inconsistent team, but they already threw a wobble against AZSt this tournament and maybe they got that out of their system? We'll see, but they also will not be heavily favored through the rest of the tournament anyway.

ND and Stanford on the other hand have been pretty good at 'consistency' over six game stretches - they generally play really good defense which helps consistency because it is more controllable, and they have two of the best game coaches and strategists out there in the women's game. ND was and has been hit with injuries in their recent tournament life and I think that had an effect on this last loss, but against a Tara coached team nothing comes easily.

Leading up to the bracket, my one concern about the seeding was seeing Tara and Stanford in our region she is that good. Maybe other 2, 3, and even 4, seeds would post tougher talent match-ups for Uconn, but the coaching in the NCAA is more important than paper talent.

On MsSt - great win and major props to players and coach who took a embarrassing smack down last year and faced up to the music. Vic gave a very good post game in which he said he was 'glad' to expose his team to that game, because they had higher aspirations than just the SEC, and they needed to see and experience the mountain top. That his team and his coaches would go back and get to work, and they would be back. And he and his team have backed that up with results - they have advanced two more rungs on the ladder and they showed how much better they are this year than that overawed team from last year. That is coaching, and that is commitment from 'no name' players who are making a name for themselves.

So yeah, is it easier, or are we now going to face better coaches with 'better' players who are more committed to the process even if their talent and reputation isn't 'better'.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The moment you think things are now easier or that it's a "downhill stroll" the rest of the way, your sense of urgency is undermined and you lose.

If Oregon, Mississippi State, and Stanford vanquished the teams everyone was "afraid of" as the greatest threats to UConn, then they just qualified themselves as a similar threat.

The very title of this thread is just begging for bad karma.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are quite close. Although Karlie is the better 3FG shooter by percentage. But the question is: Does Karlie play good defense? ;)
Code:
         FG%    3FG%    FT%    REB    A    A/TO   BLK   STL
Karlie   48.5   49.0    86.4   3.5   2.7   1.9    9.0   40.0
Lou      49.0   42.5    83.7   3.9   3.2   1.7    8.0   51.0
We know Lou doesn't per Geno. Maybe it runs in the family.

Reaction Score
The moment you think things are now easier or that it's a "downhill stroll" the rest of the way, your sense of urgency is undermined and you lose.

If Oregon, Mississippi State, and Stanford vanquished the teams everyone was "afraid of" as the greatest threats to UConn, then they just qualified themselves as a similar threat.

The very title of this thread is just begging for bad karma.
Completely agree!!! and I sure hope our players are NOT thinking about anything but Oregon...the next 40 minutes. I know Geno and Staff will emphasize how difficult it is this time of year and how other #1s have fallen. Neither He, they (the Coaching Staff) nor the players want this season to end!!! Go Huskies, Beat Ducks!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom