The P12 is very quiet | The Boneyard

The P12 is very quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one league I've heard absolutely nothing from (who is coincidentally joined at the hip with the current conference expanding) is the P12. Their silence is deafening.... Be nervous B12...be very, very nervous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Conceptually, I agree. But the Big 12's grant of rights makes a raid very difficult if not impossible.

Reaction Score
Pac12 can't do anything until the GOR are close to expiring in the big12. Or they could take BYU, or Boise.
The only reason for them to expand is to keep up with the others. But big12 doesn't seem too concerned about numbers so there is no rush, especially with no great schools to choose.
Besides th PAC is so isolated and they have a great tv deal. Nobody is poaching the PAC.
There is no reason for the PAC to do anything right now but watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I assume the Big 12's GOR is solid legally, but there is no way to know for sure. Texas or the other schools could have built various trap doors into the agreement. I don't know any sports writer or blogger that has seen it.

If it is solid, then these are the Pac 12's expansion options:

1) BYU - huge national fan base, good academics, good athletics. Massive pain in the butt to deal with.

2) Boise - great football team, not much else athletically. Minor metro area and small state market. Academically it is a step above community college.

3) Nevada - no fan base despite good program. Questionable it can deliver Nevada market from a television standpoint. Basketball is OK. Football coach is great, but is in his late 60's.

4) New Mexico - only 1.8MM people in the state, and the poorest state west of the Mississippi. Only showing this school as an example of how far off the choices drop this fast.

I think the Pac 12 is happy at 12 and doesn't have good expansion options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom