The other woman, the one that graduated with Nika | The Boneyard

The other woman, the one that graduated with Nika

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since Aaliyah, who’s doing really well in her rookie year, can’t get any attention using her own name, I’ll call her “the woman that graduated with Nika”, since people seem to prefer talking about her

Anyway:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This past season, playing out of position at the 5, did a lot to make Aaliyah “pro ready.” Frequently, Aaliyah matched up with and outplayed opposing centers who were taller than she was. The Sweet 16 vs Duke’s 6’6” Kennedy Brown and the Elite 8 vs USC’s 6’5” Rayah Marshall stand out. In the W, Aaliyah is back at the 4 where she can handle pretty much anyone she faces.

Reaction Score
I personally think Aaliyah is the 3rd best rookie in the class (I previously put her over Reese because her overall performance against Reese was better, but now it’s hard to make a justification over someone who broke the double double record).

Great defense, to the point of even limiting Aja Wilson into a poor shooting night, nice jumper for spacing, can muscle her way for rebounds over leading rebounder Angel Reese, led/leads rookies in FG %, and is an all around player. I hope to see her play alongside Austin and Sykes at some point this season.

Reaction Score
Confession time. I've been following Liya's WNBA career a lot more closely than the Husky rookie not named Aaliyah. She's worth the price of admission for sure, despite her team sharing the basement with the Wings. The Mystics seem have a talent for losing by just a few points.

So I've seen the Husky with the Olympic gold medal making almost 50% of her 3 pointers this season. Almost exactly the same # of attempts per game as Stewie btw, who makes 'em at about 30%. The Liberty lead the WNBA in 3 pointers made so far this season at 219. The Mystics come in second at 216.

E7fJmQyUUAEIJ0T.jpg

Reaction Score
Confession time. I've been following Liya's WNBA career a lot more closely than the Husky rookie not named Aaliyah. She's worth the price of admission for sure, despite her team sharing the basement with the Wings. The Mystics seem have a talent for losing by just a few points.

So I've seen the Husky with the Olympic gold medal making almost 50% of her 3 pointers this season. Almost exactly the same # of attempts per game as Stewie btw, who makes 'em at about 30%. The Liberty lead the WNBA in 3 pointers made so far this season at 219. The Mystics come in second at 216.

E7fJmQyUUAEIJ0T.jpg
Katie Lou Samuelson should have been in that picture. Damn COVID!

Reaction Score

"Aaliyah Edwards, Washington Mystics
Edwards told CBS Sports Network that she screamed with excitement when Wilson reached out to her before they even played against each other. Wilson told her to keep pushing the boundaries because the ceiling was high. She also challenged Edwards to work on her game at both ends of the floor.

The rookie was glad to have the opportunity to play against her.

"It was pretty cool. I got my buckets on her. I got locked up a little bit but then she got her buckets on me too," Edwards said after their first meeting on June 29. "It was just a good competitive game. I love that matchup, she's such a dominant player; longer, taller, stronger than me so it was a bit of a challenge for me. I like challenges and I think it was fun competing against her."

Reaction Score

"Aaliyah Edwards, Washington Mystics
Edwards told CBS Sports Network that she screamed with excitement when Wilson reached out to her before they even played against each other. Wilson told her to keep pushing the boundaries because the ceiling was high. She also challenged Edwards to work on her game at both ends of the floor.

The rookie was glad to have the opportunity to play against her.

"It was pretty cool. I got my buckets on her. I got locked up a little bit but then she got her buckets on me too," Edwards said after their first meeting on June 29. "It was just a good competitive game. I love that matchup, she's such a dominant player; longer, taller, stronger than me so it was a bit of a challenge for me. I like challenges and I think it was fun competing against her."
Aja is MVP on and off the court. Love to see fellow W players lifting each other up. Especially can’t wait to see this matchup in the future; Aaliyah’s defense will only grow as will her offense. Just knowing she was able to lock Aja up on their first meeting is elite enough.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson should have been in that picture. Damn COVID!

Yeah! Lou missed both the NCAA championship game and Olympics! Damn injuries and illness!

Interestingly, Jackie did ok, but was clearly the number 4 player in the 3x3. However, after that, she really upped her game in the W to become an All-Star and a member of the 5x5 Team USA.

Reaction Score
Yeah! Lou missed both the NCAA championship game and Olympics! Damn injuries and illness!

Interestingly, Jackie did ok, but was clearly the number 4 player in the 3x3. However, after that, she really upped her game in the W to become an All-Star and a member of the 5x5 Team USA.
Agree completely about Jackie. I have nothing against her in any way (except she played for Notre Dame). Her selection to replace Katie Lou was appropriate and she has gone on to become a truly gifted player in the W. My sorrow is that KLS missed out on an Olympic Gold. In my opinion, when injuries and illness deprive our athletes from that kind of honor (when they have been selected to the team), they should be given an honorary medal anyway. It appears that her college teammate, Phee will also miss out of representing our country and most likely a gold medal as well.

Reaction Score
Agree completely about Jackie. I have nothing against her in any way (except she played for Notre Dame). Her selection to replace Katie Lou was appropriate and she has gone on to become a truly gifted player in the W. My sorrow is that KLS missed out on an Olympic Gold. In my opinion, when injuries and illness deprive our athletes from that kind of honor (when they have been selected to the team), they should be given an honorary medal anyway. It appears that her college teammate, Phee will also miss out of representing our country and most likely a gold medal as well.

Has this been confirmed? Announcers during a recent Minnesota game said she would be available to play in Paris.

Reaction Score
Has this been confirmed? Announcers during a recent Minnesota game said she would be available to play in Paris.
My information is hopefully not up to date, I would hate to have Phee miss out on such an experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom