The opponents first drive. | The Boneyard

The opponents first drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've played nine games and I looked at the opponents first offensive possession. I didn't count the fumbles or INT that defenses turned into TDs. I looked at how many of our opponents scored TDs on their first offensive possession.

Five of nine opponents scored TDs on their first offensive possession. Four of those scored TDs on their first two offensive possessions. BYU, USF, ECU and Army all scored TDs on their first two offensive possessions. Tulane scored on its opening possession but not its second.

Based on that I think the defensive game planning hasn't been that good. And that is Diaco's strength. So when Diaco is talking about improvement he is clearly not talking about his defensive game plans.

Reaction Score
We've played nine games and I looked at the opponents first offensive possession. I didn't count the fumbles or INT that defenses turned into TDs. I looked at how many of our opponents scored TDs on their first offensive possession.

Five of nine opponents scored TDs on their first offensive possession. Four of those scored TDs on their first two offensive possessions. BYU, USF, ECU and Army all scored TDs on their first two offensive possessions. Tulane scored on its opening possession but not its second.

Based on that I think the defensive game planning hasn't been that good. And that is Diaco's strength. So when Diaco is talking about improvement he is clearly not talking about his defensive game plans.

Whether this staff is the best ever or the worst ever, I would note that if you liked the coach you could just as easily argue that the fact that we get rolled over at the start of games and then stop shows that the coaches are good at making in game adjustments.

You're over thinking this. Look at the body of work and conclude we suck.

Reaction Score
Yes, that is a fair criticism of my analysis. The coaches do seem to adjust the defense once they see what is going on.

But a common complaint of the coaching staff is the Huskies get in a hole early and this makes it very difficult to win. The head coach usually does this in the context that turn overs have been back breakers. They never do it (not even against Army) in the context that their game plan put the team in a hole. They seem to highlight turnovers while ignoring they own culpability.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice legwork but unnecessary. The graphic about Uconn's defense giving up first drive TD's has been mentioned each of the last three games. For the season UConn has been outscored in the first and fourth quarter but has won the 2nd and 3rd quarter scoring.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I look at it as being underprepared, which would be consistent with missing assignments on D, not knowing the plays on O, and generally fumbling around while the play clock ticks down.

Maybe there isn't time after teaching how to eat, lift, etc. A legit reason, but one that needs to be figured out.

Reaction Score
This is very indicative of a poor defensive game plan. Does UConn go vanilla initially to see what the other team has on offense that day, play 4 - 3-4 early and 3-4-4 right after, play safeties and corners well off receivers, etc. ? It must be something as is too consistent to just be random.
It's one thing if the other team has superior talent/size/skill and just wears you out; it's another thing if the other team's initial offensive plan just rolls over UConn's initial defensive plan - that is coaching.
I was at the Tulane game, the 1st series of plays by Tulane looked like Joe Montana was leading them, not his son. Nothing even close to that after the 1st series. It has to have something to do with initial scheme on defense.
No I wasn't at practice or at the scheme planning meetings or know it was bad coaching for sure (for those inclined to include that in their response).

Reaction Score
Not only was the defense not properly prepared, but I was shocked when they came out of the locker room for the second half making the same mistakes. You can't play against the option with an outside linebacker being the only guy to set the edge. Simple math: QB + HB > LB. If he takes on the quarterback it's a simple pitch and a free run into the secondary. If he strays too far outside the QB cuts it up into the hole he just vacated. Either option leaves the ball carrier about 6 yards downfield before meeting any opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom