The only way UConn loses | The Boneyard

The only way UConn loses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
if they blow it themselves, and even then I dont think they can play poor enough to lose, because they are that good. There isnt a team in WCBB that can beat Uconn. I read if this team gets Wilson or if they get so and so they can compete for a NC. I read posts saying if this player plays great we can win the NC. Well UConn has no "ifs" Thats one of the differences between UConn and everybody else. With UConn its all about how to get the team to score enough points to win not about how many points a certain player(s) needs to get for the team to win. If everybody isnt sharing the ball equally then its not a team effort and its very hard to keep everybody on the team focused one the team is depending on one or two players.

UConn has 2 number 1 HS POY and one number 2 POY and an injured former number 1 POY and an AA guard to go along with an AA center. So how does UConn lose. First of all the margin is so small you would need a very powerful magnified glass to see it. The only way UConn has a chance of losing is if they forget to show up and have to forfeit the game. Is it possible for UConn to lose yes but highly unlikely.

UConn has too many scorers for an opposing defense. Heck UConn has 4 players who can carry the team. You remember the stretch this season when UConn beat Stanford, @MD @Duke @ Penn St and won @ MSG with top players on the bench and some fans were amazed how easily UConn won.

This is a very disciplined team with tremendous fire power and relentless defense. To over come UConn an opponent would have to over come UConns ability to beat them by 20+ points. What that translates to is an opponent beating UConn by 20+. I cant conceive of that happening. I dont know of a team who could stay with UConn for 40 minutes.

The ole question what about ND. ND isnt the team they were last season. UConn is so much better then last season and more importantly UConn is confident and healthy and that is enough to win easily.

What ever bracket UConn is in their opponent will run into a road block. This is the reason I keep saying take the 2-7 top teams in WCBB outside of UConn and let them fight it out to make the FF. Putting UConn in any of their brackets will eliminate them. IMO the top 4 teams should be in the FF and the teams ranked 2-7 should be able to fight it out because of the parity in WCBB. UConn is not part of that parity. UConn stands alone and with their AA lineup which no other team has and with the POY well its just not fair to any of the teams ranked 2-7 to have to face UConn before the FF. The only thing that could change my feeling is major injuries, sickness and foul trouble all at once. That too is highly unlikely. JMO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree as well, though I'll add that we shouldn't tempt fate with doubting major injuries, sickness, and foul trouble. We've seen the freak stuff that's happened to Mosqueda-Lewis this year, however, with the way she has bounced back twice, I think kryptonite is the only way to stop her at this point. And who knows, Dee Kantner might show up for the one of the Final Four games. If Kantner does any game hopefully it's the semi-final so she won't be allowed to officiate the final.

Reaction Score
if they blow it themselves, and even then I dont think they can play poor enough to lose, because they are that good. There isnt a team in WCBB that can beat Uconn. I read if this team gets Wilson or if they get so and so they can compete for a NC. I read posts saying if this player plays great we can win the NC. Well UConn has no "ifs" Thats one of the differences between UConn and everybody else. With UConn its all about how to get the team to score enough points to win not about how many points a certain player(s) needs to get for the team to win. If everybody isnt sharing the ball equally then its not a team effort and its very hard to keep everybody on the team focused one the team is depending on one or two players.

UConn has 2 number 1 HS POY and one number 2 POY and an injured former number 1 POY and an AA guard to go along with an AA center. So how does UConn lose. First of all the margin is so small you would need a very powerful magnified glass to see it. The only way UConn has a chance of losing is if they forget to show up and have to forfeit the game. Is it possible for UConn to lose yes but highly unlikely.

UConn has too many scorers for an opposing defense. Heck UConn has 4 players who can carry the team. You remember the stretch this season when UConn beat Stanford, @MD @Duke @ Penn St and won @ MSG with top players on the bench and some fans were amazed how easily UConn won.

This is a very disciplined team with tremendous fire power and relentless defense. To over come UConn an opponent would have to over come UConns ability to beat them by 20+ points. What that translates to is an opponent beating UConn by 20+. I cant conceive of that happening. I dont know of a team who could stay with UConn for 40 minutes.

The ole question what about ND. ND isnt the team they were last season. UConn is so much better then last season and more importantly UConn is confident and healthy and that is enough to win easily.

What ever bracket UConn is in their opponent will run into a road block. This is the reason I keep saying take the 2-7 top teams in WCBB outside of UConn and let them fight it out to make the FF. Putting UConn in any of their brackets will eliminate them. IMO the top 4 teams should be in the FF and the teams ranked 2-7 should be able to fight it out because of the parity in WCBB. UConn is not part of that parity. UConn stands alone and with their AA lineup which no other team has and with the POY well its just not fair to any of the teams ranked 2-7 to have to face UConn before the FF. The only thing that could change my feeling is major injuries, sickness and foul trouble all at once. That too is highly unlikely. JMO
I don't often disagree with your posts but I do, with one point you've made. You said that Notre Dame isn't the same team this year that they were last year and inferred that they are less than they were. I'm inclined to think that they are a better team this year and that's due to Skylar Duggins being off the team. She did do one thing for her teams and that was to help instill a drive and an attitude to never take even one play off and to never quit. However, I think that there were a number of times where she anointed herself as the one to do everything when the game was on the line instead of sticking with a team first formula. Her selfishness and her reluctance to look anywhere else in crunch time hurt them at the worst times in big situations. Now that she's gone, the many players returned from that time this year still are playing with that drive and energy and discipline that only they and the Huskies appear to have game after game. With no Skylar monopolizing the ball continually in crunch time and the ball being spread around more (as it should have been with her) they are a more efficient team, in my mind. They have more balance and might be a little more difficult to defend then they were last year. This being said, I think UConn would have to play a pretty bad game or have a major injury or major foul issues to prevent them from going all the way. The biggest thing is that UConn's defense is always so consistently good and is so difficult to score against that it means that even if the offense were to struggle a bit, they can usually still win easily because of it. What other team plays team defense as well as and as consistently as does UConn???? You manage to penetrate against our guards and you have three blocking machines in Breanna, Stef and Kia! Around the perimeter you have Bria and Moriah who are both extraordinarily quick and don't allow anyone clean looks from three practically ever. No one scores easily against the Huskies and then often a blocked shot or a steal leads to a quick bucket the other way, totally disheartening our opponents. I'm looking forward to No. 9 and though the kids are confident, you know Geno won't let them take anything for granted. That's what makes our Huskies the perennial best team in America.

Reaction Score
Tonyc the only thing you forgot to mention is UConn has the best closer in Stewie, at the final four, and last summer against France where everyone struggled and she took over the game. She may not look the part , but Stewie is " The Silent Assasin", she just gets the job done.

Reaction Score
I don't often disagree with your posts but I do, with one point you've made. You said that Notre Dame isn't the same team this year that they were last year and inferred that they are less than they were. I'm inclined to think that they are a better team this year and that's due to Skylar Duggins being off the team. She did do one thing for her teams and that was to help instill a drive and an attitude to never take even one play off and to never quit. However, I think that there were a number of times where she anointed herself as the one to do everything when the game was on the line instead of sticking with a team first formula. Her selfishness and her reluctance to look anywhere else in crunch time hurt them at the worst times in big situations. Now that she's gone, the many players returned from that time this year still are playing with that drive and energy and discipline that only they and the Huskies appear to have game after game. With no Skylar monopolizing the ball continually in crunch time and the ball being spread around more (as it should have been with her) they are a more efficient team, in my mind. They have more balance and might be a little more difficult to defend then they were last year. This being said, I think UConn would have to play a pretty bad game or have a major injury or major foul issues to prevent them from going all the way. The biggest thing is that UConn's defense is always so consistently good and is so difficult to score against that it means that even if the offense were to struggle a bit, they can usually still win easily because of it. What other team plays team defense as well as and as consistently as does UConn???? You manage to penetrate against our guards and you have three blocking machines in Breanna, Stef and Kia! Around the perimeter you have Bria and Moriah who are both extraordinarily quick and don't allow anyone clean looks from three practically ever. No one scores easily against the Huskies and then often a blocked shot or a steal leads to a quick bucket the other way, totally disheartening our opponents. I'm looking forward to No. 9 and though the kids are confident, you know Geno won't let them take anything for granted. That's what makes our Huskies the perennial best team in America.

I wouldn't be so hard on SD and her presumed motives as you are. I would say though that there was too much reliance on her, and yes indeed they might now be a better team without her.

Reaction Score
All of what Tony says is true, but I still worry about ND. I think they think they can beat UConn, and winning in the tournament is a lot about mental toughness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a ND believer... specifically in Muffet's coaching strategy..... it seemed that during the spell when they had our number.... i saw entirely too much ND and their drive... as in drive to the basket.... i was so tired of ND drive and result being ND at the foul line finishing a 3 pt play or taking 2 charity throws..... this year's team can employ the same thinking..... and since we are thin in the middle, i worry about this .....

offensively i have no worries..... but defensively i think ND has potential success..... probably no but possibly yes..... so our achilles..... 1. injury 2. being driven on

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Now wait a minute guys, it's still 5 against 3
We should win.

HGN

Reaction Score
Lets not get too over confident.:eek: Anybody can beat anybody on a given day. As is often said let's take it one game at a time and see what happens. I think we have as good of a chance as anybody and better than most. But sh.... happens to us all.

I am just sitting back and hoping for a run of good fortune and for the best.:)

Reaction Score
I am worried that the NCAA committee is seriously anti-American Conference this year. Just as the men. If that is the case, they could throw Louisville at UConn again in the Great 8 as beating anyone 4 times a season is tough and then set-up a semifinal instead of a finals match with ND, who I think is the only team with a realistic chance of beating UConn. That could potentially keep a ‘mid-major’ conference representative out of the Final, which appears to be the goal with Wichita’s men’s draw.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am worried that the NCAA committee is seriously anti-American Conference this year. Just as the men. If that is the case, they could throw Louisville at UConn again in the Great 8 as beating anyone 4 times a season is tough and then set-up a semifinal instead of a finals match with ND, who I think is the only team with a realistic chance of beating UConn. That could potentially keep a ‘mid-major’ conference representative out of the Final, which appears to be the goal with Wichita’s men’s draw.

Who is being punished here, UCONN or Louisville? It is easier to beat a team that you have beaten three times by an average of 19 points, a fourth time than it is to beat a team that you have lost to 3 times by an average of 19 points.

If you ask me, this scenario would be punishing Louisville and ND.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think that McBride is playing with a bit more confidence than last year, and has opened up her game with the departure of Diggins.

Achonwa is improved---not by leaps and bounds, but she is an even better facilitator this year.

Like UCONN, the biggest improvement for the Irish is its sophomore class.

Loyd is a very dangerous player. Mabrey is no all-star but she is solidying her role off the bench as a 3-point threat and I think she is a very effective player for them. Tough to zone the Irish with our "3 Amigos" big lineup. Too dangerous from outside, and both McBride and Loyd are good enough to find gaps and exploit them without getting too close to our shot-blockers. They are very good in the midrange. Also, Achonwa is effective in the high post against the zone. So as usual we will mostly play M2M which is where the danger always exists for foul trouble against ND. As always, they are coached to create contact and have very strong, confident ball-handling guards who can score in a variety of ways. The "foul trouble" bogeyman is of course present in every game, but against almost anyone else it is really an empty threat. Against ND the threat is still small, but it is real. They are the only team in WCBB with the mental toughness to make this threat meaningful when taking the floor against UCONN.

Their biggest problem is they don't have the defensive stopping power to prevent talented teams from going on runs, and against UCONN this is the fatal flaw. We should also have the advantage inside, but UCONN does not make its bread and butter by actively exploiting mismatches in the post. It happens in the flow of the game, and Stewie is getting much better at posting up smaller players when the opportunity presents itself, but it's a tactical thing we do rather than a strategy we strive to execute every time down the floor. Stef--God love her--is not always patient enough in the post to make the strategy workable, especially when we have so many other ways to score, and we like to move our bigs around anyway. In practice, UCONN still tries to run a balanced offense even when they "should" (quotes for a reason) pound the ball inside.

So I really think ND's bigger problem is not the lack of size per se but more so the inability to stop us from scoring in bunches when we go on runs. It happened to them at U Tenn, and it happened to them at Maryland. Unlike those opponents , UCONN will not lose focus long enough to let ND make up for its own lapses. For stretches, they will play us even, or even out-execute us for a while here and there. They will get their points. But they won't be able to score in bunches and put us on our heels like they did to the LVs. We have too much experience and willpower. We have too much ability on the defensive glass, which gets our transition going. And we have Geno.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that McBride is playing with a bit more confidence than last year, and has opened up her game with the departure of Diggins.

Achonwa is improved but not by leaps and bounds but she is an even better facilitator this year.

Like UCONN, the biggest improvement for the Irish is its sophomore class.

Loyd is a very dangerous player. Mabrey is no all-star but she is solidying her role off the bench as a 3-point threat and I think she is a very effective player for them. Tough to zone the Irish with our 3 Amigos big lineup. Too dangerous from outside, and both McBride and Loyd are good enough to find gaps and exploit them without getting too close to our shot-blockers. They are very good in the midrange. Also, Achonwa is very effective in the high post against the zone. So as usual we will mostly play M2M which is where the danger always exists for foul trouble against ND. As always, they are coached to create contact and have very strong, confident ball-handling guards who can score in a variety of ways. The "foul trouble" bogeyman is of course present in every game, but against almost anyone else it is really an empty threat. Against ND the threat is still small, but it is real. They are the only team in WCBB with the mental toughness to make this threat meaningful when they take the floor against UCONN.

Their biggest problem is they don't have the defensive stopping power to prevent talented teams from going on runs, and against UCONN this is the fatal flaw. We should also have the advantage inside, but UCONN does not make its bread and butter by actively exploiting mismatches in the post. It happens in the flow of the game, and Stewie is getting much better at posting up smaller players when the opportunity presents itself, but it's a tactical thing we do rather than a strategy we strive to execute every time down the floor. Stef--God love her--is not always patient enough in the post to make the strategy workable, especially when we have so many other ways to score, and we like to move our bigs around anyway. In practice, UCONN still tries to run a balanced offense even when they "should" (quotes for a reason) pound the ball inside.

So I really think ND's bigger problem is not the lack of size per se but more so the inability to stop us from scoring in bunches when we go on runs. It happened to them at U Tenn, and it happened to them at Maryland. Unlike those opponents , UCONN will not lose focus long enough to let ND make up for its own lapses. For stretches, they will play us even, or even out-execute us for a while here and there. They will get their points. But they won't be able to score in bunches and put us on our heels like they did to the LVs. We have too much experience and willpower. We have too much ability on the defensive glass, which gets our transition going. And we have Geno.

I think ND has been given way too much credit this year. I don't see them as a serious threat to UCONN, but I guess for the sake of making the season more interesting at least one team needs to be built us as a threat to UCONN.

ND has too many semi-close scores to be considered THAT MUCH better than the rest of the field. Did they win them all? Yes, and that's all that counts, unless you want to be compared to UCONN.
  • 77-67 vs Penn St
  • 70-58 vs Oregon St
  • 79-72 vs Virginia
  • 87-83 vs Maryland
  • 81 - 70 vs Duke

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think ND has been given way too much credit this year. I don't see them as a serious threat to UCONN, but I guess for the sake of making the season more interesting at least one team needs to be built us as a threat to UCONN.

ND has too many semi-close scores to be considered THAT MUCH better than the rest of the field. Did they win them all? Yes, and that's all that counts, unless you want to be compared to UCONN.

• [ ]77-67 vs Penn St

[ ]70-58 vs Oregon St
    [ ]79-72 vs Virginia
    [ ]87-83 vs Maryland
    [ ]81 - 70 vs Duke

IMO it's only worth talking about because they are the *only* legitimate threat. But I think I'm with the rest of the 'Yarders who predict a 15 pt win, or thereabouts. By way of comparison, I was more confident against Louisville last year and in 2009, but less confident going into the final against Stanford in 2010. This one falls somewhere in between.

Reaction Score
Who is being punished here, UCONN or Louisville? It is easier to beat a team that you have beaten three times by an average of 19 points, a fourth time than it is to beat a team that you have lost to 3 times by an average of 19 points.

If you ask me, this scenario would be punishing Louisville and ND.

If the NCAA wants to keep UConn out of the final, this is the one way I can see it happening. ND and Louisville be damned. ND, as stated, is likely to have the best chance to beat UConn. Louisville, while having already lost 3 times, would get UConn in the Great 8 at home. It’s an outside chance; but, the riskiest to UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If the NCAA wants to keep UConn out of the final, this is the one way I can see it happening. ND and Louisville be damned. ND, as stated, is likely to have the best chance to beat UConn. Louisville, while having already lost 3 times, would get UConn in the Great 8 at home. It’s an outside chance; but, the riskiest to UConn.

OK...this is just silly. Why would the committee want to connive to keep UCONN, this biggest draw in women's basketball, out of the Final Four or final? To ensure that the ratings are REALLY low? Good grief...this is beyond ludicrious.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
ETT good points. ESPN wants UConn in the FF. Barring injuries and big time foul trouble UConn wont be beaten this season. The question next season will being around December/January as to can UConn break their record of 90. If Wilson comes to UConn that would be even more realistic. With next years class and the probability of Durr and who ever else to play along side of MoJeff Tuck and Stewart well that could be a reality. I expect Durr to come giving UConn the best guard combos in WCBB and even with or without Wilson UConn will continue to look almost unbeatable. Why? UConn will get their share of top players. Geno has built a program where he can plug in kids who can execute his plays. If they cant he doesnt play them. Why wont he play them? Think about it. Would you want to have 4 other players on the floor that can run the plays and one that screws up? No thats why? A machine only runs right when all the clogs are working together. If one isnt they it doesnt run correctly.

On the TV money maker. ND LVille Tenn UConn ND UConn will be big time tv money makers. Dont think the NCAA committee hasnt been made aware of that. Tonites brackets will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Glad I was wrong about my conspiracy theory. Playing the winner of Maryland/Michigan State should be a good, fun game in the Sweet 16 and in my dreams a preview of future in-conference games for the Huskies. If Nebraska tops Baylor, that would present an additional challenge for the Great 8. In the final 4, Stanford is a tested team; but, UConn has shown it can beat them. That likely leaves the championship with ND, which is how it should be with the only 2 undefeated teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a ND believer... specifically in Muffet's coaching strategy..... it seemed that during the spell when they had our number.... i saw entirely too much ND and their drive... as in drive to the basket.... i was so tired of ND drive and result being ND at the foul line finishing a 3 pt play or taking 2 charity throws..... this year's team can employ the same thinking..... and since we are thin in the middle, i worry about this .....

offensively i have no worries..... but defensively i think ND has potential success..... probably no but possibly yes..... so our achilles..... 1. injury 2. being driven on

Nothing wrong with that. And it is possible we get into foul trouble. But it is also possible that for a finals game, the refs let them play and not want to decide the game. So many possibilities why bother to worry? For example, it may be worse to go out to a quick 15 point lead then refs give "sympathy fouls" then ND brings it to about 9 at halftime with our bigs in foul trouble due to "sympathy." At any rate, if this game were to happen, I'd think refs wouldn't want to decide the game until maybe last minute or so. "Let 'em play," may very well be the motto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom