The only plausible solution is to..... | The Boneyard

The only plausible solution is to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SECEED!

not uconn, but all of the football playing members of the conference

why should we allow the decision making body (providence) dictate the future of the big east football schools when the basketball only schools are influencing the future of the football schools???

Marinara and his cronies couldn't secure the big east's future at the BCS table because they were too concerned about their table at the local Italian restaurant

Solution:

Expand to sixteen teams without the basketball only schools, targeting high level mid majors and struggling AQ schools

Original Teams: Connecticut, Rutgers, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF

Offer Teams: Maryland, Kentucky, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Rice, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Navy, Army, Iowa State, UCF, Southern Miss, ECU, Notre Dame, Mizzou

Now I know that there will be a large contingency of people on this board that will just shoot down this idea because none of the AQ schools will leave their conference for one with total instability. My solution: Enter into negotiations with NBC, Comcast, and CBS for broadcast rights to all sports.

With the football schools leaving, the ESPN contract will become null and void because the football schools will no longer be a member of the old "Big East", only the basketball schools. The league still has its AQ bid until the next round of BCS negotiations, which is in 2013 or 2014, not entirely sure yet.

If the football schools could add AQ schools and higher mid majors with a large geographical footprint stretching from the Midwest to the East Coast, CBS or NBC could jump at this offer with a large amount of money to enter into the realm of college football that ESPN currently has a stranglehold over.

Way to convince teams to join the league: Offer staggered dollar amounts to members in order to entice AQ schools to join the conference. Offer higher dollar amounts based on a "performance and media revenue" Rank earnings based on performance (final ranking in AP polls/BCS) and national championships. That way teams that pull their equal share will get the revenue they truly deserve. This could entice teams like Penn State or Kansas, who could excel in a conference like this could earn higher revenues than in their current league. This could also expand these school's brand beyond their geographical limitation because they could come out from the shadows of the Texas', Oklahomas', or Ohio States' of the world.

A conference like this could also offer assistance of struggling AQ schools like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Maryland, etc who cannot compete at the same level in football as the SEC or ACC schools who continually dominate their respective conferences.

Another way to convince these teams the join the conference is opportunity to play the conference's basketball championship in MSG. If this conference could draw Kansas, Kentucky, Vandy, Maryland, etc they could receive the bid to host the conference championship there over the old "Big East". CBS already owns rights to air some Big East games, but with national names in college basketball, they would love to own full rights to these games similar to what CBS has with SEC football

CBS=More National Eyes=Higher Television Revenue due to National Advertising

These are ridiculous times where there is no conference loyalty and change is needed! In order to save all of the remaining football conference teams, radical steps need to be made, and this option offers a much stronger conference that could generate a very high amount of revenue comparable to the other AQ conferences in the country. If this option is ever realized, then maybe Pitt and Syracuse could come back to the conference if they so desired

New Conference Comissioner: Oliver Luck (WVU AD)

Exit Fee: 50 Million

Revenue: Based on Performance and Media Formula (If such a formula could be created)

Television Rights: CBS or NBC

Football Championship: At Site of Higher Rated Team

Basketball Championship: Madison Square Garden

Baseball Championship: Clearwater, Florida

Best Case Scenario (Move to 12-16 team conference)

16 team

1. Connecticut
2. Rutgers
3. WVU
4. Cincy
5. Louisville
6. USF
7. Kentucky
8. Kansas
9. Vanderbilt
10. Penn State
11. Maryland
12. Virginia
13. Indiana
14. Mizzou
15. Syracuse
16. Pittsburgh

Conference Footprint: Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Florida, Tennessee=A ton of eyeballs!

Thoughts? Comments?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I think you put way too much time, thought, and effort into something that is completely ridiculous. That is a few minutes of my life that I will never get back. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think you put way too much time, thought, and effort into something that is completely ridiculous. That is a few minutes of my life that I will never get back. :rolleyes:

yeah. your right. playing in a league with army, navy, air force, and temple is better....

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Would love to see all the Football teams leave in mass.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
How come I don't see the savior school UMASS on that list???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom