The On-Campus Stadium Debate | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The On-Campus Stadium Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just like most Yankees fans. Only see them on the train when there is a parade.

You should experience Red Sox fans up here. If I didn't know better 2012 was like 94 and baseball called it quits during the summer.

Reaction Score
That team was hard to watch but that's interesting. The games sold out though right?

A bad team is one thing. A dysfunctional team with the talent to win 110 games but wins 70 is another.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
wanted to post this article, written by a current student who writes for the Daily Campus. Not enough voices like this about UConn football in general. The students do care for the most part, we just don't know who to talk to about it. http://www.seasonsover.com/10/post/2012/10/a-tradition-not-to-rent.html

I admit I am in the ship is sailed camp. Would the students support building an on-campus stadium if their activity fees were raised say $1,000. a year? $500.? And the student section has been selling out quickly these days.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I admit I am in the ship is sailed camp. Would the students support building an on-campus stadium if their activity fees were raised say $1,000. a year? $500.? And the student section has been selling out quickly these days.

ship has sailed for now, i agree. ten years from now when the rent needs upgrading/expanding though? just a thought to have, seriously doubt the state would build a new stadium but one can dream.

I wouldn't have a problem with the $500 increase. College tuitions are rising rapidly. I'm already paying close to 40k/year, $500 is nothing when you look at it like that. The section gets good attendance at first however once the homecoming game has happened and the cold weather starts to approach thats when you see people staying in Storrs for tv, blanket, dining halls, and beer instead of waking up earlier and driving out to East Hartford. And quite frankly I know students who have bought season tickets for this upcoming season just because they want the Michigan game, and they know it will be more expensive than just buying the season. This at first seems like a good thing until you realize these are the same people who buy their tickets, tailgate, and go back to Storrs.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
When The Rent was built and approved no one foresaw CT with stagnant population growth. No one predicted the growth of home theater and sports bars and now streaming as alt vehicles for coverage. Or a recession this deep. Now the realignnent disruption. In many ways the worse case scenario hit. If the economy turns stronger over the next three years and the team dominates the AAC we could see a mighty change in support. But it is the Northeast. College Ball isn't the driving force it is in the South. Doubtful a campus stadium is on the table before 2030. Even then it won't pass. Basketball is more popular and replacing the XL is almost impossible

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ship has sailed for now, i agree. ten years from now when the rent needs upgrading/expanding though? just a thought to have, seriously doubt the state would build a new stadium but one can dream.

I wouldn't have a problem with the $500 increase. College tuitions are rising rapidly. I'm already paying close to 40k/year, $500 is nothing when you look at it like that. The section gets good attendance at first however once the homecoming game has happened and the cold weather starts to approach thats when you see people staying in Storrs for tv, blanket, dining halls, and beer instead of waking up earlier and driving out to East Hartford. And quite frankly I know students who have bought season tickets for this upcoming season just because they want the Michigan game, and they know it will be more expensive than just buying the season. This at first seems like a good thing until you realize these are the same people who buy their tickets, tailgate, and go back to Storrs.

So do you at least get calling the people who won't drive to Storrs lazy hypocritical?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So do you at least get calling the people who won't drive to Storrs lazy hypocritical?

asking students to leave campus to go to the games is completely different than asking grown adults to go somewhere else for the game. the access to cars/financial situations don't even compare.

Reaction Score
wanted to post this article, written by a current student who writes for the Daily Campus. Not enough voices like this about UConn football in general. The students do care for the most part, we just don't know who to talk to about it. http://www.seasonsover.com/10/post/2012/10/a-tradition-not-to-rent.html

It was originally the "Wrench" nickname. I don't know when it turned into 'Rent'. Probably some lazy writer on a keyboard.

THe stadium, when the move to 1-A was finally approved in 1997, was planned to be on campus. It's not going to happen anytime soon, an on-campus facility.

Students, need to get organized on campus, and make sure that the university is providing efficient and reliable transportation to and from the stadium, and be less concerned about how much they can drink in between rides.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
asking students to leave campus to go to the games is completely different than asking grown adults to go somewhere else for the game. the access to cars/financial situations don't even compare.

They give you buses. Just admit it's hypocritical. Trust me the adults would love a sober ride home for $3.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm honestly so fuggin sick of this 'debate'.

The Rent is a perfectly good stadium that is located in quite literally the best location in the state to draw fans from all of Connecticut.

At the rate we are losing fan support/revenue, the fact people want UConn/the state to sink money into a new a stadium, that will be a traffic nightmare, that is an extra 30 minutes without any traffic is beyond incomprehensible. A lot of people on The Boneyard seemingly have no idea that a good majority of UConn Football ticket buyers are there for the experience of tailgaiting and catching some football. The UConn Football die hards are on here. Make the 'experience' a pain in the ass and you chase the fans away. There really couldn't be a worse idea.

Also, I don't want to hear it from the students. The student fan support is abysmal. Shut up and enjoy the $7 ticket, $3 bus and the fact that you don't have to work a full time job yet.

In 30 years, if we're in the B1G, then maybe we can have this discussion. Until then, can we please just never have this thread ever again?

Reaction Score

OTOH, students don't have anything to do on a Saturday other than recover from Friday. Grown adults have a lot of competing priorities. I'd love an on campus stadium. But there is no question that I'd miss 2 games a year if it was in Storrs. That wouldn't prevent ME from buying season tickets. I bought them for hoops in both venues last year and didn't make it to one game. But for an on campus stadium you have to commit. There will be no showing up for part of the game and going to do something else, which I've had to do a bunch at the Rent.

Makes me understand why Michigan historically doesn't do night games. Imagine leaving the stadium at 1030 or 11pm. You won't even get to the highway till 1am.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm honestly so fuggin sick of this 'debate'.

The Rent is a perfectly good stadium that is located in quite literally the best location in the state to draw fans from all of Connecticut.

At the rate we are losing fan support/revenue, the fact people want UConn/the state to sink money into a new a stadium, that will be a traffic nightmare, that is an extra 30 minutes without any traffic is beyond incomprehensible. A lot of people on The Boneyard seemingly have no idea that a good majority of UConn Football ticket buyers are there for the experience of tailgaiting and catching some football. The UConn Football die hards are on here. Make the 'experience' a pain in the ass and you chase the fans away. There really couldn't be a worse idea.

Also, I don't want to hear it from the students. The student fan support is abysmal. Shut up and enjoy the $7 ticket, $3 bus and the fact that you don't have to work a full time job yet.

In 30 years, if we're in the B1G, then maybe we can have this discussion. Until then, can we please just never have this thread ever again?
Oh you know that is never going to happen. This thread will become an off season tradition, regardless of fan support. Same people, same arguments...year after year. Count on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was originally the "Wrench" nickname. I don't know when it turned into 'Rent'. Probably some lazy writer on a keyboard.

I think it was due to popular use. The word itself "rent" as opposed to "wrench" is crisper, better-sounding.

Reaction Score
I say this with all respect, but you must be nuts.

Reaction Score
For some reason I was torturing myself with looking at the original plans for the UConn/Pats stadium in Downtown Hartford earlier this week. A fully realized Adriean's Landing would make my 20s so much better. Imagine if they could set up tailgating alongside the Connecticut river and walking to downtown bars after games?
SBJ200804272201-08.jpg

Reaction Score
For some reason I was torturing myself with looking at the original plans for the UConn/Pats stadium in Downtown Hartford earlier this week. A fully realized Adriean's Landing would make my 20s so much better. Imagine if they could set up tailgating alongside the Connecticut river and walking to downtown bars after games?
SBJ200804272201-08.jpg
Would have been nice. I always wondered though if people would be broke after buying Patriot tickets and that would hurt UConn's gate. Plus two games in one week would have been tough too. However, we will never know.

Reaction Score
Seeing how they're planning on building a $100 million glorified 24 hour fitness and instituting a mandatory $500 per student (undergrads and grads) fee, if everyone is nuts, we might just have to redefine what nuts really means.

I say this with all respect, but you must be nuts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would have been nice. I always wondered though if people would be broke after buying Patriot tickets and that would hurt UConn's gate. Plus two games in one week would have been tough too. However, we will never know.

Yes. All those other places with multiple professional franchises are way wealthier than Connecticut.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Seeing how they're planning on building a $100 million glorified 24 hour fitness and instituting a mandatory $500 per student (undergrads and grads) fee, if everyone is nuts, we might just have to redefine what nuts really means.

If the football team can have a state-of-the-art weight room, so should the general student population. The current situation is a joke. Welcome to 2013- this isn't 1975, it isn't a small agricultural college anymore.

Plus, its a good idea to provide more ways to excersize when you're putting Wendy's and Panda Express right in front of them.

Reaction Score
If the football team can have a state-of-the-art weight room, so should the general student population. The current situation is a joke. Welcome to 2013- this isn't 1975, it isn't a small agricultural college anymore.

Plus, its a good idea to provide more ways to excersize when you're putting Wendy's and Panda Express right in front of them.

Well that and kids these days don't tolerate crappy stuff. They are used to far more luxury than kids 20 years ago. Many of them think they are entitled to the very best without earning it. Their parents charged everything for them.

I was talking to a recent college grad at work the other day and asked how his new apartment was. He said it was a dump, no granite or stainless appliances. Don't even get me started on all these kids walking around with $200 beats headphones like they are standard issue.

Reaction Score
Beats headphones aren't standard issue? That place is a dump.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Beats headphones are terrible garbage anyway.

Reaction Score
Beats headphones are terrible garbage anyway.

Not terrible garbage compared to the CVS headphones broke kids should have! My point was kids these days expect all the good stuff without earning it. I Definitely am not an audiophile that wants to debate Beats, Bose Sennheiser and Klipsch headphones.

My wife and kids have all the good stuff in my house. I just pay for it. I'm doing my part to create another over entitled flock I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom