The Ohio State down to 7 scholarship players until late December | The Boneyard

The Ohio State down to 7 scholarship players until late December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Ohio State has already lost Makayla Waterman, and Chelsea Mitchell to knee injuries for the season. This leaves 7 scholarship players, reportedly they will have open try-outs to increase the roster size.

Kianna Holland, and Shayla Cooper will be eligible at the end of December

Last edited:
Reaction Score
now Holland is done for the year with a knee injury

B1nLfqyIEAAEqv5.jpg

pretty

big loss

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well looks like Ohio State's team will be either very tired or extremely fit this season.

All three of these players had major knee injuries in high school. Sad to see this happen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well looks like Ohio State's team will be either very tired or extremely fit this season.

All three of these players had major knee injuries in high school. Sad to see this happen.
Geez what's in the water there. They've lost Honeycutt, Kynard, Ferguson to xfers. Scullion to Med School (understandable). Mitchell, Holland and Waterman to season ending injuries.

And they are not getting a lot from the 2015 class because they had (to start with) 6 players in the FR class.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I can't really speak for any of them on what their actual reasons were, but I'm pretty sure Kynard transferred because of the incoming class of Freshmen and two transfers. She wasn't seeing as much playing time as I imagine she expected to see and then with what would of been 7 players vying for the guard position, probably wanted to be more of a contributor. Honeycutt wasn't getting a lot of playing time for Foster and maybe didn't see herself fitting in with McGuff's program. She didn't play a single game for McGuff, transferring after the second game of the season which she was not in attendance and had a headache for the opener. Ferguson didn't just transfer but was asked to leave the team after breaking team rules for the second time.

The Freshmen class was just 5 players, still pretty large, but that's because Coach Foster wasn't able to recruit any players in his final season, which I'm assuming that's what you are referring to when you say "the had (to start with)". Cooper will be considered a Sophomore this year. Holland will be a Freshmen again. They do not have any seniors on this team so whatever amount of players Ohio State ends with this season will be the amount plus 2, hopefully 3, for next year. Still what was looking to be an exciting year for Ohio State seems to be tapering.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sad situation for OSU but every cloud has that silver lining. With the freshman getting so many minutes they could improve quickly.

I think McGuff was a smart hire and he will get things settled in there.

He has a 4 star guard in Kaylan Pugh and a 6-5 post from New Jersey for 2015 thus far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can't really speak for any of them on what their actual reasons were, but I'm pretty sure Kynard transferred because of the incoming class of Freshmen and two transfers. She wasn't seeing as much playing time as I imagine she expected to see and then with what would of been 7 players vying for the guard position, probably wanted to be more of a contributor. Honeycutt wasn't getting a lot of playing time for Foster and maybe didn't see herself fitting in with McGuff's program. She didn't play a single game for McGuff, transferring after the second game of the season which she was not in attendance and had a headache for the opener. Ferguson didn't just transfer but was asked to leave the team after breaking team rules for the second time.
I figured that's why they transferred. It was more of a "geez, if I hadn't transferred, I'd be getting a lot of time now". But of course that's 20/20 hindsight. I knew about Ferguson, but just clumped them together for some reason??? :confused:

The Freshmen class was just 5 players, still pretty large, but that's because Coach Foster wasn't able to recruit any players in his final season, which I'm assuming that's what you are referring to when you say "the had (to start with)". Cooper will be considered a Sophomore this year. Holland will be a Freshmen again. They do not have any seniors on this team so whatever amount of players Ohio State ends with this season will be the amount plus 2, hopefully 3, for next year. Still what was looking to be an exciting year for Ohio State seems to be tapering.
Well I counted Holland as 6, cause that's the class she'll be with. Just Pugh and Ekhelar coming in next year so far right?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I figured that's why they transferred. It was more of a "geez, if I hadn't transferred, I'd be getting a lot of time now". But of course that's 20/20 hindsight. I knew about Ferguson, but just clumped them together for some reason??? :confused:

Well I counted Holland as 6, cause that's the class she'll be with. Just Pugh and Ekhelar coming in next year so far right?

Yeah! It's a shame all around. Having you write out just how much they lost in the last year and a half, and not just to graduation, it is shocking and does kind of warrant a "What the heck!" But from what I saw Shelbi Honeycutt is now playing in Hawaii with a former high school teammate so she may be fine! But they all could of helped this season. Interestingly, Kynard transferred to Xavier.

Oh! Yes that makes sense, I kept forgetting Holland is considered a Freshmen, freshmen. I wasn't really expecting a big class to join this coming year after such a larger class in front of them. Now she'll be with Pugh and Ekhelar (and I guess Waterman and Mitchell). They are hoping Mompremier as well. We'll see what happens. Her brother plays at Ohio University so who knows if that will help in her decision or not.

Reaction Score
Yeah! It's a shame all around. Having you write out just how much they lost in the last year and a half, and not just to graduation, it is shocking and does kind of warrant a "What the heck!" But from what I saw Shelbi Honeycutt is now playing in Hawaii with a former high school teammate so she may be fine! But they all could of helped this season. Interestingly, Kynard transferred to Xavier.

Oh! Yes that makes sense, I kept forgetting Holland is considered a Freshmen, freshmen. I wasn't really expecting a big class to join this coming year after such a larger class in front of them. Now she'll be with Pugh and Ekhelar (and I guess Waterman and Mitchell). They are hoping Mompremier as well. We'll see what happens. Her brother plays at Ohio University so who knows if that will help in her decision or not.

Holland will be a 3rd year freshman ? I doubt it, she might win an appeal when she graduates, and get another year.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Holland will be a 3rd year freshman ? I doubt it, she might win an appeal when she graduates, and get another year.

Well she was a freshmen at Duke, didn't play so she was considered a Freshmen this season and now is out again and will, I'm assuming, redshirt. So wouldn't that equate her to being a freshmen eligibility wise?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well she was a freshmen at Duke, didn't play so she was considered a Freshmen this season and now is out again and will, I'm assuming, redshirt. So wouldn't that equate her to being a freshmen eligibility wise?
I don't know her details - but remember, you get 4 years playing time in 5 years, so, it would appear to me she is likely (eligibility wise) a sophomore next season. As someone stated, at the end of it all, you can apply for a 6th year for hardship reasons, it is not granted automatically, however.

Reaction Score

you can only redshirt one year, as KnightBridge says above you get 5 years to play 4 years. There are a few situations where the NCAA grants another year, she will have to apply to the NCAA when she uses up her eligibility .

Reaction Score
The Ohio State has already lost Makayla Waterman, and Chelsea Mitchell to knee injuries for the season. This leaves 7 scholarship players, reportedly they will have open try-outs to increase the roster size.

Been there, hated that.

--UCLA WBB fans, last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member