The Ogwumike sisters were freaking awesome | The Boneyard

The Ogwumike sisters were freaking awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, I couldn't be more thrilled about the win last night. Having said that, it's a bittersweet moment insomuch as we have to bid adieu to the O sisters at the college level. Athletic as hell, immensely talented, highly intelligent (as students and basketball players), and just generally the kind of young woman anyone would be happy to being home to momma. Pure talent, pure class, pure Ogwumike. They helped get five teams to the Final Four and have put Stanford on track to get back to championship status again at some point. And they have younger sisters! We may get more Ogwumikes in the not-so-distant future, and not just in the WNBA.

Cheers to you , sisters.

Reaction Score
Olivia is a senior. More of a top 200-300 player than a top 100. Did not sign an LOI in the fall. Some speculation that she might walk on at Stanford.

Youngest sister Erica is supposed to be good. 2015. But she's not top 60 at ESPN.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great OP. And I would add ... congratulations to Stanford on a really good year and on showing up in the final four and competing. That was a well played game that they just didn't have the weapons to win, but they competed well in a well played game.
It was a stark contrast to the first game - I always thought ND, if they could use their emotions well, would win, but I was shocked that MD did not actually show up. It has been commented before that first time FF teams often get distracted by the hoopla and forget they have a game to play. That might have been what happened. (Stef actually said that was a problem for Bria and her their freshman year - not so much for Morgan, Moriah and Stewie last year!)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stanford can get the good student athlete and occasionally a couple will turn out to be Elite/Great Basketball players like the Ogwumike sister and others were. However, it appears they can't get enough of them to win a National Championship. Can't see them winning a National Championship in the next couple of years with the like of ND, UConn, UNC and South Carolina all having good if not great teams.

Stanford needs to get lucky and somehow recruit two or three great players in the same recruiting year and then they can win it all. Might have happened if Skylar had gone to Stanford with the Ogwumike sisters. Superior guard play was a key missing piece and Skylar would have provided that.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
I won't disagree, but I can't resist a reminder that the Valley sisters earned more NC rings.

I have to say Paula and Pam McGee. I'm just thankful to see young ladies who love the game and play it with passion.

Reaction Score
In a few years both of them could even be first-team WNBA all-stars in the same year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stanford can get the good student athlete and occasionally a couple will turn out to be Elite/Great Basketball players like the Ogwumike sister and others were. However, it appears they can't get enough of them to win a National Championship. Can't see them winning a National Championship in the next couple of years with the like of ND, UConn, UNC and South Carolina all having good if not great teams.

Stanford needs to get lucky and somehow recruit two or three great players in the same recruiting year and then they can win it all. Might have happened if Skylar had gone to Stanford with the Ogwumike sisters. Superior guard play was a key missing piece and Skylar would have provided that.
I think Any team that consistently gets to the FF and does not win is just snake bit - either they are unlucky, or they are unlucky enough to run into a rare truly exceptional team. While A&M, Purdue, and MD all have NCs for example - they are the opposite - they got to a single FF and got lucky.
I would take Stanford or NDs last 5-7 year record over Baylor or A&M. Disappointing to miss out on a NC, but the consistency of being in the FF almost every year.

Reaction Score
My nephew played for the Bills on all their Super Bowl losses. Had a great career, but no ring, only regret.

HGN

Reaction Score
If Chiney gets picked by the Connecticut Sun in WNBA draft , and starts to reside in the great State of Connecticut , do you think she might become a UConn fan? I mean , whenever we are not playing Stanford of course.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nneka and Chiney are outstanding players and classy people. Both are very admirable.

When CO fouled out and went to hug Geno early in her career, it was a weird but nice moment.

I have to think about what might have happened if Chiney had chosen UConn. First, I don't think that Stanford breaks the 90-game streak. Second, ND does not beat us in Maya's senior year. It's all hypothetical, and who knows how UConn's recruiting or player development would have been affected, but Chiney might have been the first player with 4 titles and part of 2 mega winning streaks. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Well, I couldn't be more thrilled about the win last night. Having said that, it's a bittersweet moment insomuch as we have to bid adieu to the O sisters at the college level. Athletic as hell, immensely talented, highly intelligent (as students and basketball players), and just generally the kind of young woman anyone would be happy to being home to momma. Pure talent, pure class, pure Ogwumike. They helped get five teams to the Final Four and have put Stanford on track to get back to championship status again at some point. And they have younger sisters! We may get more Ogwumikes in the not-so-distant future, and not just in the WNBA.

Cheers to you , sisters.
Amen

Reaction Score
I got my picture taken with Nneka when UConn played at Maples 2 years ago. She was really nice.
Looking forward to see them both play in the WNBA.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 32
Reaction Score
My outstanding memory of the greatness of Kelly Faris was a play where she effectively denied the ball to both Ogwumike sisters on the same possession. Both of them towering over her, she fronted them both and shut them down. Incredible brilliant use of position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Chiney and Nneka were both great Cardinal players and people, and Chiney will join her sister as a force in the pros!
Congrats to both of them, and to their parents for bring them up to be such bright and charming people.

Reaction Score
Thanks Alexrgct and others for your kind words. They were awesome to follow and will be sorely missed.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Nneka and Chiney are outstanding players and classy people. Both are very admirable.

When CO fouled out and went to hug Geno early in her career, it was a weird but nice moment.

I have to think about what might have happened if Chiney had chosen UConn. First, I don't think that Stanford breaks the 90-game streak. Second, ND does not beat us in Maya's senior year. It's all hypothetical, and who knows how UConn's recruiting or player development would have been affected, but Chiney might have been the first player with 4 titles and part of 2 mega winning streaks. Oh well.
She fouled out that game when she gave the hug- not just pulled out for an ovation? I had forgotten that! That was awesome - because I think she really liked Geno!
She is perfect- like her sister- classy and just plain perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom