The Official Larrier and a Terrier Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official Larrier and a Terrier Game Thread

Reaction Score
Was this a fluke performance from Vital or can we raise the ceiling on what we can expect from him this year?

Reaction Score
I like this team. They play hard and all seem to enjoy playing with each other. Ollie has been playing too many guys for them to get into a great rythym but he obviously has good reasons for doing that.

Larrier can’t dribble at all. He can’t even get away with his dribble moves against bad teams. However, to be successful this season he really doesn’t need to be a creator. He needs to find his spots in the middle and shoot and make open shots which he’s been doing. But if he’s thinking about the NBA, there is just no room for a wing player that has 0 ability to dribble.
Gilbert has been making a lot of mistakes but he’s going to be fine. He’s an excellent talent. I’m excited about this season.

Reaction Score
Didn’t get a chance to watch yet. Can anyone tell me how often Jalen ran the show (what % of the time). Just curious because we are so much better with him on the ball and have been frustrated by that this year

Reaction Score
I like this team. They play hard and all seem to enjoy playing with each other. Ollie has been playing too many guys for them to get into a great rythym but he obviously has good reasons for doing that.

Larrier can’t dribble at all. He can’t even get away with his dribble moves against bad teams. However, to be successful this season he really doesn’t need to be a creator. He needs to find his spots in the middle and shoot and make open shots which he’s been doing. But if he’s thinking about the NBA, there is just no room for a wing player that has 0 ability to dribble.
Gilbert has been making a lot of mistakes but he’s going to be fine. He’s an excellent talent. I’m excited about this season.

Just in reference to your NBA comment...Most wings aren't actually good at handling the rock, that's a major reason why the guys that can are such studs. Even Jaylen Brown on the Celts is mostly a catch and shoot guy offensively.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What was all the talk about AG being our best player on our team before the season started even based on? It sounds ridiculous now.

At the end of the season you might be eating those words along with the sax reed
He has not played at a high level yet but he is a freshman coming off surgery

I wonder if people are gonna take back those terrible "CV isn't that good of a player" takes. CV with a 30 piece!![/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath

Reaction Score
A lot of you are going to feel silly about all the Gilbert is overrated/should sit talk.
He's likely going to be good, but we need to win now. I don't think it's smart to start him on Thursday

Reaction Score
At the end of the season you might be eating those words along with the sax reed
He has not played at a high level yet but he is a freshman coming off surgery

I pray i eat those words. No sarcasm! We him to be that player.

Reaction Score
I do not think Gilbert is overrated by any means. However, he is very frustrating at the moment. I'd have him come off the bench for the time being. He will be great for us but just needs time.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Hmmm, sounds like Kemba freshman year.
Great analogy. Kemba routinely overpenetrated and put himself in difficult positions as a frosh. Unfortunately, it took him a year to figure it it, but boy did he figure it out.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It’s not like Gilbert’s numbers were bad, percentages yes but I’d chalk that up to getting to play for the first time in a year and still adjusting to the shoulder brace. His final line was 9pts 6 rbs 6 as 1 stl 1 blk 3 to 1 pf.

Reaction Score
It is frustrating seeing him to continue to get too deep and hit the bottom of the rim at best. He finally throws that little floater which is what he needs to use more. He'll be fine - good thing is minus a couple forced dribble through's, he gets there pretty easy at times.

Reaction Score
Was this a fluke performance from Vital or can we raise the ceiling on what we can expect from him this year?
BU allowed us to a lot of things we won't be able to against better teams but I wouldn't call Vital's performance a fluke. However it was against a team missing two key players that didn't have the quickness to stay with us. No fluke but I don't think you can take too much away from this game.

Reaction Score
diarra isn’t just foul prone, it’s beyond that

Long way to go there. Hard worker but has a lot to learn. Actually would've preferred some of those mop up minutes went to Whaley as he can be a huge part this year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I do not think Gilbert is overrated by any means. However, he is very frustrating at the moment. I'd have him come off the bench for the time being. He will be great for us but just needs time.
Agree. He is a rusty red shirted freshman with a brace. I still see the blazing speed though. He has heart and a good attitude.
His body is going faster than his thinking and his instincts are rusty. As long as that shoulder stays OK he will be fine. Talik used to really drive me crazy but eventually he became a very valuable player. Can't teach speed and he has it.

Reaction Score
I focused directly on Gilbert from my seat tonight and here’s what I saw: He;s a solid athlete and undersized even for a point guard. Everyone he guarded had him by 6 inches or more. Very strong with quick hands but he gambles on D and sometimes gets burned. KO was in his ear several times with that. He passed open 3’s early, hit a couple later but he’s not a great shooter. He drove the ball into the trees with no result several times and this continues what he has been doing. It’s like he thinks he;s still in HS.
He fights hard for rebounds and had 6 tonight. I think the shoulder brace is an issue for shooting somehow because last year he pulled up from inside the 3 line very well, he’s not doing that, it’s drive or 3 or nothing. We need him to be good this year. I understand the way fans feel seeing him play because he came to us with a 5 star rating, right? That’s a player that is supposed to stand out even as a freshman. I just don’t know if it’s the injury that has caused it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll tell you what: you can learn a lot about a team by watching their body language. And I've gotta say that Onuorah and Anderson have great body language.

Going into a tv timeout, they are jumping off of that bench and hyping up their teammates. These two are great pick ups and I think their senior leadership is going to go a long way this year. I'm even hoping that the body language starts rubbing off on a couple of Huskies who don't quite have it yet.

Great game, and CV killed it out there tonight...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My biggest takeaway from tonight's game: that Rooks girl is hot.

Reaction Score
-Pick and roll/switching defense needs to improve fast.
- Someone should also tell them shots inside the arc are actually legal. They aren't Golden State.
-Vital is my favorite player on this team.
-3-0 is 3-0. Go UConn!!

Reaction Score
-Pick and roll/switching defense needs to improve fast.
- Someone should also tell them shots inside the arc are actually legal. They aren't Golden State.
-Vital is my favorite player on this team.
-3-0 is 3-0. Go UConn!!

Carlton is the only guy on the team who consistently played the pick and roll correctly. By my count the team was Plus 13 just in the 2nd half while he was on the floor and BU did not hit a 3 while he was on the floor in the 2nd half (possibly the 1st half too, but I didn't check for it until the 2nd half) because of his superior hedging and drive help. The man had 4 blocks in 12 minutes and had a couple others that were negated by fouls. Easily our best defensive big man and he looks to have the best hands of our big men as well. I hope KO gets him more time and starts to run some sets for him so he can do some damage inside which would do wonders for our perimeter guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom