The Official 2023 Mets Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Even though I understand the trades and think we did OK for the long-term, thought this was a very funny edit...

Reaction Score
So, here's how I got off the ledge....

1) The Baby Mets get to play the rest of the way and develop.
2) Acuna and Drew Gilbert seem as close to "sure things" as you can plan around.
3) And this one might be a stretch....but does this help us financially to go after Ohtani?

The cons? Watching Carlos Carrasco, Senga, a makeshift rotation and a terrible bullpen the rest of the year. And what do we do with Pete? It'll literally take a piece of my Mets heart if he isn't here long term.

Using mlb’s team prospect rankings, the prospects the mets added this year are ranked 2, 4, 6, 9, 15, 16, 21, 22, and 25 in their system. That’s a great way to retool on the fly. There is also the added possibility they have a very high draft pick for next year. I don’t know if Cohen wants to reset the luxury tax penalties, but they can keep Pete and round out the team while staying under for 2024 if they want. It probably won’t be pretty, but it should allow the young guys to play full time and see what they’ve got. Having a bigger sample size on Alvarez, Baty (needs to take a step forward), Mauricio and Vientos will better help them understand their needs for 2025.

I’m not sure whether these trades move the needle much on what Cohen is willing to pay Ohtani. He did try to sign correa to a 325M contract this off-season, so payroll can evidently push 400M. I just don’t see him coming here since he wants to win and be on the west coast. Of course, if Cohen wants to drop a 12/700 on him then we’ll see how much the other two points matter.

Reaction Score
I think they did a great job retooling on the fly. Hated the Scherzer & Verlander signings to begin with - and hated to see Jake go but, in hindsight it was 100% the right move.

There's an article in the Post today about the Brewers apparently being very close to trading for Alonso at the deadline, yikes. Didn't think things were that close. Is Pete a jerk?

I genuinely havn't been the fan I have been... I guess UConn being good again sapped a lot of my attention away from the Mets - and them having Scherzer and Verlander made it worse.

I think Vientos stinks, Baty is not very good, thankfully Alvarez appears to be our catcher for the next 10 years which is great.

I don't understand why Mauricio hasn't been up, there's even been indications that he's frustrated in AAA because he's been there so long ugh..

Senga is a huge bright spot, he's legit. We just need more, gotta keep adding.

Reaction Score

This thread has been as dead as the Mets this year, but I'm optimistic about next year with Stearns in charge. Gotta re-sign Pete and sign Yamamoto, other than that there's nothing I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen

Reaction Score
Agree with all of that above - and let me wax optimism here for a second.. Vientos has RAKED, Mauricio is as advertised, and Senga may damn near end up as Rookie of the Year?

I never bought that 2025 was the year, we will be absolutely fine going forward.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The owner through the GM without Buck’s knowledge dismantled the team mid season when they were not out of it. That says it all on this organization. Garbage.

Reaction Score
The owner through the GM without Buck’s knowledge dismantled the team mid season when they were not out of it. That says it all on this organization. Garbage.
That's how successful organizations are run. Buck Showalter should not be making personnel decisions. And they were absolutely out of it. They were 6.5 games out of the wild card with 5 teams ahead of them. Their playoff odds were 16.3%

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
That's how successful organizations are run. Buck Showalter should not be making personnel decisions. And they were absolutely out of it. They were 6.5 games out of the wild card with 5 teams ahead of them. Their playoff odds were 16.3%
Not even for input? And analytics are overrated. Play the games, use your 2 H of Fame pitchers.

Reaction Score
Not even for input? And analytics are overrated. Play the games, use your 2 H of Fame pitchers.
Nope, not even for input. Your 2nd sentence is all I needed to see though, so I regret responding already

Reaction Score
With 2 outs left, it looks like the Rangers will win their 1st WS.

What is your honest thoughts on how a) Scherzer and b) deGrom feel about being an official WS champ and getting rings.

My thoughts?

a) Scherzer has been a hired gun most of his career and, even though he pitched like garbage here, he'll just lump the ring on his pile of postseason success and be fine with it.

b) I can't see deGrom feeling any part of this ring. Watching him in NY I just don't feel like he'd ever feel this one was "real" for him.

Reaction Score
With 2 outs left, it looks like the Rangers will win their 1st WS.

What is your honest thoughts on how a) Scherzer and b) deGrom feel about being an official WS champ and getting rings.

My thoughts?

a) Scherzer has been a hired gun most of his career and, even though he pitched like garbage here, he'll just lump the ring on his pile of postseason success and be fine with it.

b) I can't see deGrom feeling any part of this ring. Watching him in NY I just don't feel like he'd ever feel this one was "real" for him.
Scherzer should feel some sense of accomplishment. They were in a tight division race and he pitched very well for them in the regular season. He earned the ring.

deGrom will get one but I agree he won't feel like he earned it. And he didn't. But it's probably what seals his HOF ballot with the writers, which is pretty ironic

Reaction Score
Lots of Juan Soto talk. Thoughts?

1) I’d love Nimmo, Lindor, Soto, Pete at the top.

2) if they don’t sign Pete long term, I’d take Soto to replace him.

I’m a big fan of him. Great plate discipline and still young.

Reaction Score
Lots of Juan Soto talk. Thoughts?

1) I’d love Nimmo, Lindor, Soto, Pete at the top.

2) if they don’t sign Pete long term, I’d take Soto to replace him.

I’m a big fan of him. Great plate discipline and still young.
I'd be all over Soto if I'm the Mets, something like Baty, Parada, one of their top pitching prospects like Hamel should get it done. This lineup would be ready to compete again next year with some pitching additions.

Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Soto LF
Alonso 1B
Soler/JD Martinez DH
Alvarez C
McNeil 2B
Marte RF
Mauricio 3B

Reaction Score
I'd be all over Soto if I'm the Mets, something like Baty, Parada, one of their top pitching prospects like Hamel should get it done. This lineup would be ready to compete again next year with some pitching additions.

Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Soto LF
Alonso 1B
Soler/JD Martinez DH
Alvarez C
McNeil 2B
Marte RF
Mauricio 3B
You think McNeil will be here? Seems like his name is bounced around a lot. I hope he's a Met lifer to be honest.

Reaction Score
You think McNeil will be here? Seems like his name is bounced around a lot. I hope he's a Met lifer to be honest.
I do, I haven't seen the trade rumors but he feels like a guy that will be a Met for his career

Reaction Score
I’d love Soto but don’t know about trading for him. It would really depend on what is going back. I think it might be worth the risk to see if he hits FA next year. If he does the Mets better give him the best offer.

I really want them to get Yamamoto and Imanaga. I know there is a risk on how they translate to mlb, but Yamamoto is so young and Imanaga should be relatively cheap (I’ve seen projections similar to what Senga got).

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Rest in Peace Buddy

img_1_1704986465748.jpg

Reaction Score
R.I.P. Buddy

Offseason has stunk, rotation is tragic.. Not pleased so far

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors