The Official 2016 Mets Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 Mets Thread

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
What is the over under for d'Arnaud's b.a. ?
Dude cannot hit and is worse throwing people out, but they seem to love this guy.
I say .220
Update.
1 RBI. WAY UNDER .200. Runners running wild on him. Plawiecki horrid too. Monell hitting @.200 in the desert in Vegas.
Do you think Charlie Brown would consider a trade for Schroeder?

Reaction Score
Check in after the first 40 or so games.

I'd have to go with Thor, deGrom, Harvey, Matz right now if I'm ranking them. Only because Harvey seems to have taken a step back mechanically and Matz's injury tolerance/history worry me a little. If you told me Matz was healthy the rest of the year (along with the other 3) I'd probably take him over Harvey right now in a big start.

Familia has been perfect.

Cespedes is already showing he was worth signing. I know he'll go into a cold snap (or two) throughout the year and misplay some balls in the outfield, but this lineup needed him.

Sandy looks like a genius with the Cabrera and Walker signings, keeping Colon as well as not making some other deals (like Tulo who's hitting .200 right now) or giving up on Wheeler in a deal (just another bullet in the gun in a month or so).

Alum86

Reaction Score
we need a catcher.
also, what does Campbell have on Sandy that he continues to take up roster space? Wilmer too, for that matter.
Pitching has been great. Cabrera and Walker are a great combo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
we need a catcher.
also, what does Campbell have on Sandy that he continues to take up roster space?.
Hope you're watching bud. Campbell is keeping us in the game with his defense. And he's not even a first baseman.

You think maybe there's a reason these guys have jobs in baseball and you're bitching on the interwebz?

Alum86

Reaction Score
campbell sucks. plain and simple. keeping us in the game?
he is not a spectacular fielder that the Mets should continue to roll him out with his 1 rbi and < .200 avg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
campbell sucks. plain and simple. keeping us in the game?
he is not a spectacular fielder that the Mets should continue to roll him out with his 1 rbi and < .200 avg
Because, Duda, right?

Ah, yeah, didn't think so.

Reaction Score
It was just 3 games, but the Nats looked a LOT different than they did last year. Maybe Dusty Baker's attitude is working in the clubhouse....but they were clearly the better team over those 3 games.

Reaction Score
It was just 3 games, but the Nats looked a LOT different than they did last year. Maybe Dusty Baker's attitude is working in the clubhouse....but they were clearly the better team over those 3 games.
They can hit 1-8. The only guy in our lineup you can consistently expect to hit is Cespedes and maybe Cabrera. The rest of the guys are unreliable and too inconsistent

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They can hit 1-8. The only guy in our lineup you can consistently expect to hit is Cespedes and maybe Cabrera. The rest of the guys are unreliable and too inconsistent
Well they look like the team they were supposed to be last year. But yeah, it was only three games. I remember feeling similarly early last season when the Giants schooled us. Granted, we actually were an entirely different team after the trade deadline.

Let's see what happens in our next three against them next week. Our guys are streaky hitters, we know that. Our starting pitching is the bigger issue right now imo. Not worried about Big Sexy, and Thor is obviously on fire. Hopefully tonight confirms that Matz is fine, leaving Jake as a somewhat of a question mark and Harvey as a huge problem. What's the latest word on when Wheeler is expected to return?

A catcher who can hit and throw guys out would also be nice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Holy crap. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never realized that the Brewers' logo has an 'm' and a 'b' in it until Gary Cohen just pointed it out. I always thought it was just a glove.

3-brewerslogoglove_400x225.jpg

Reaction Score
Well they look like the team they were supposed to be last year. But yeah, it was only three games. I remember feeling similarly early last season when the Giants schooled us. Granted, we actually were an entirely different team after the trade deadline.
Let's see what happens in our next three against them next week. Our guys are streaky hitters, we know that. Our starting pitching is the bigger issue right now imo. Not worried about Big Sexy, and Thor is obviously on fire. Hopefully tonight confirms that Matz is fine, leaving Jake as a somewhat of a question mark and Harvey as a huge problem. What's the latest word on when Wheeler is expected to return?

A catcher who can hit and throw guys out would also be nice.
Wheeler's timetable is for sometime in July

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whaddya know, Campbell starts a ninth inning drive and Wright hits the walk off RBI on a 3-0 pitch. Huge. We needed that.

And how freaking lucky are we that we were able to re-sign Cespedes against expectations?

We still need a major league catcher on our roster, however.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I still have an unshakeable sinking feeling that Harvey is somehow cursed.
Harvey is lost. He has no clue what's wrong and no clue how to fix it. Total loss of confidence.

I still think it's all in his head, and likely a result of the high expectations of the Dark Knight, ace persona he created being in conflict with his present role as the fourth or fifth best starter on the team. And I don't think he knows how to handle the rise of Thor, Jake and Matz in the meantime, and the fact that everyone loves them. Not to mention that Big Sexy just keeps doing his thing, and rebounded fine from his aberrant outing the other night.

I think Harvey also has a bit of Niese in him, in that he has a hard time gutting it out once something goes wrong.

Although I advocated shopping him last offseason if the return was right, I didn't expect this level of drop off. Seems like a totally different guy. Tonight would have been a great night for him to rebound, but I think those back-to-back dingers are going to haunt him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oof. He's toast.

What do you do with the guy now? Put him in the pen, or send him down for a bit? I don't think we can keep trotting him out there and pretending that he's just going to snap out of it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have to repeat that job number one has got to be getting a MLB catcher on our roster. How is it possible that the guys we have are automatic outs at the plate, and automatic steals for the other team? D'Arnoud and Plawecki are not major league players.

Reaction Score
I don't think Harvey is near being taken out of the rotation. He just needs to drop down in the slot. He's not the guy to matchup with Kershaw and Bumgarner. Throw him against the 3/4 starter. Sorry, Matt. Until you figure it out, that's your role.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's not the other teams' pitchers that are the problem for Harvey though; it's the other teams' hitters. He can't even go five innings against MLB competition right now. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think skipping a start is it. I like Darling's suggestion of sending him down for a stint to try to figure it out against lesser competition and away from the spotlight, but I'd expect him and Boras to fight that very hard.

He's not even giving us a chance to win though. We're not in position to pencil in a loss every fifth day.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Harvey is getting savaged by the NY media for slipping out without talking to the press last night. Sounds like his teammates were none too happy about it, either.

Tough town when you're melting down.

I'm guessing that we see a DL stint for him. I still think the minors would be best so he can keep pitching on his regular schedule, and also keep his funk from affecting the rest of the team, but with his ego I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
A DL stint with what? A sore vag?

Not sure if I've mentioned it here before or not, but last season, I remember hearing someone say that there's always "something" with Harvey. Flu like symptoms. Innings limit. Arm slot problems. It seems like there's some drama or excuse or little nagging issue surrounding him in every start. Leaving the clubhouse without addressing the media was a bullsht unprofessional move and he better hope a new sports story comes along quick to wipe it off the NY sports talk front pages.

Also, props to the Mets brass for being patient with these young guys and not throwing crazy long term contracts/extensions around. How much has Harvey's worth dropped in the last 2 years? Jeez.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Has the organization had Matt take an MRI? They keep saying he's healthy, but I haven't heard anyone say they've run tests to confirm. It would be just like the Mets to keep throwing him out there when he's got an arm injury.

Either way, you need to DL him. Something is not right physically, even if it's just poor mechanics. Sending him out there every 5th day is not ideal, and sending him down to the minors is just going to humiliate the guy and won't help. Let him rest for a few weeks, get this bad mojo out of his system and come back fresh.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whelp, Harvey's ego trumps the team again. They are keeping him in his regular spot in the rotation, starting against the White Sox on Monday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On a brighter note. Matz! Wow. And huge nads by Terry to leave him to face Harper. That's gonna pay dividends.

Reaction Score
It's almost as though the team is draining whatever bargaining power Boras had with Harvey and showcasing how they don't need him long term. Boras has to be slamming his head against the desk right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom