The Odds of Paige Staying for Her Fifth Year Have Gone Up...Just Ask Her Mother! | The Boneyard

The Odds of Paige Staying for Her Fifth Year Have Gone Up...Just Ask Her Mother!

Reaction Score
The odds used to say Paige might leave after 3 years for the money of pro basketball, but NIL has changed that. Here's her Mom's take:
“Especially if she’s making money, I could see it being very, very hard for her to walk away that fifth year, knowing she could stay,” Fuller said in an April edition of Out of Bounds. “It’s her last chance. She’s still making money, you can earn more degrees. I mean, you can’t go wrong with getting as much of an education – while it’s being paid for – as you can. I’d love to see her get three master’s [degrees] if she could. Because at some point, basketball’s going to end."

This is based on the idea that Paige could make more money at UConn than in the WNBA (rookie salary tops out at $69,000). So this makes sense to me.

I know we would all love to see 4 years of Paige and Azzi together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great find!

There was a thread a while ago talking about Paige leaving early for the pros. At that time, I said IMHO it was far more likely she'd stay 5 years rather than 3 (if she chose to forego the traditional 4 years). My reasoning was threefold:
  1. She did not win the NC as a freshman
  2. If she stays 5 years, she gets 4 with her best friend
  3. If she wants to to be the GOAT at UCONN, she probably needs to win 4 NC's like Stewie did
Then add to it what her mom said - if she's making $ AND working on an advanced degree, why not? The WNBA is going to pay her $60-70K as a rookie. Sure she can go overseas and earn more - maybe $200-250K her first year out? But again, for all the reasons above, it would be a great decision on her part.

Obviously 3-4 years is an eternity for a 19-20 year old college student so much could change, but I will be rooting hard for the 5-year college plan for Paige when the time comes!!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Great find!

There was a thread a while ago talking about Paige leaving early for the pros. At that time, I said IMHO it was far more likely she'd stay 5 years rather than 3 (if she chose to forego the traditional 4 years). My reasoning was threefold:
  1. She did not win the NC as a freshman
  2. If she stays 5 years, she gets 4 with her best friend
  3. If she wants to to be the GOAT at UCONN, she probably needs to win 4 NC's like Stewie did
Then add to it what her mom said - if she's making $ AND working on an advanced degree, why not? The WNBA is going to pay her $60-70K as a rookie. Sure she can go overseas and earn more - maybe $200-250K her first year out? But again, for all the reasons above, it would be a great decision on her part.

Obviously 3-4 years is an eternity for a 19-20 year old college student so much could change, but I will be rooting hard for the 5-year college plan for Paige when the time comes!!
Maybe, but I doubt it. Paige seems to love the competition, the desire to test herself against the best. If for no other reason I believe this will take her to the next level, the pros. I add that I watch the WNBA but I watch wishing it were WCBB instead, I prefer the team concept of college ball over the shoot at will concept I see in the pros. I would much rather see Paige play in the UCONN system over what I see in the pro game. Scoff if you will but I believe Paige will receive over 7 figures in endorsements a year if she wants. Money won't be a factor in her decision, if she is the person many of us believe her to be. Imo she very well be the first female MJ in WBB, college and pro. I hope she stays for four, I find 5 highly unlikely.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As of today, she is probably worth more as a UConn player than a WNBA player. UConn gets higher ratings.

Bueckers’ brand on and off the court could lead to numerous lucrative sponsorships as new NIL laws take effect.​

For most athletes, it's expected that sponsored social media posts will be a new primary source. But between local and national sponsorships — commercials, car dealerships, restaurants, etc — the possibilities are endless. It's not crazy to think that some of college football’s brightest stars could be inking five- or six-figure deals. Heisman hopefuls with local and national appeal could stand to make even more.

1625160872414.png

As of right now, there’s one student athlete that has the potential to out earn them all; Paige Bueckers. It would be very interesting to see her "NIL" portfolio at the end of this month, and right after Christmas, if it's made public. In business, the saying is "you've got to strike while the iron is hot. Right now, Paige is hot." :rolleyes: November and December could be a very busy time for Paige (endorsing various products for the holidays).

As NIL era begins, Paige Bueckers is primed to reap the benefits

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most people, athlete or not, are ready to move on to the next chapter of their life after 4 years of college. For Paige, after 4 years of playing college basketball will a fifth year do anything for her development as a player? Probably not. She’d be better off going to the WNBA and play against better competition regardless of the $$

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Most people, athlete or not, are ready to move on to the next chapter of their life after 4 years of college. For Paige, after 4 years of playing college basketball will a fifth year do anything for her development as a player? Probably not. She’d be better off going to the WNBA and play against better competition regardless of the $$
More flexibility to figure our the best WNBA team to land on

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
From now on: Similar to everything else in this world, College Sports will be:
ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Reaction Score
If she stays... she will most likely not be able to play in the 2024 Olympics.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the a WCBB player's desire to win championships is entirely overstated and even more so within a UCONN WBB fan base. How quickly people forget that every American born player that was drafted in 2021 WNBA had the opportunity to return to school and chose not to. Sure Paige has stated that she desires to win 4 championships but that was in reference to a specific question. Paige has always stated that the reason she came to UCONN is to be pushed and to compete against the best. As a freshman she has already swept the major NPOY awards. The current WNBA eligibility rules will keep her in Storrs until at least the spring of 2024 and IMO no longer. For Paige the attraction to the WNBA will have nothing to do with the salary but rather challenge of of competing against the best players in the world. 2024 also happens to be an Olympic year and although I can easily imagine Paige making the Olympic team & winning gold I can't imagine her coming back to UCONN after.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love how people on here speak for Paige as if they know what goes on inside her head, telling us what is most important to her and what is not. I resisted doing that, instead merely quoting Paige's mom -- who probably knows her daughter better than even the wisest among the Boneyarders. Since the BY predictions run the gamut from she leaves after 3 to she stays for all 5, we will inevitably get some posters patting themselves on the back and saying "I predicted this back in 2021." Self back patting seems to be a favorite activity among some posters. :)

Here are some possible Paige scenarios, most of which I have not seen predicted yet:
She ends up hating Geno and her teammates and leaves after 3 years.
She continues to be in love with Geno and her teammates and stays for 5.
She decides that 4 years is the proper amount of college and leaves then.
She continues to believe education is important (remember, she made Dean's List, so even though she might not be Molly Bent, she does seem interested in learning) so she stays and earns the 3 Master's degrees her mom suggested.
She analyzes the WNBA draft each year, using her probable destination as the decision maker whether to stay or go. So it could be 3, 4 or 5 years.
She continues to have ankle problems, and like Morgan Tuck, decides to leave early to maximize the number of years she can play pro ball.
Her ankle problems (or other physical issues) become so severe that a pro career looks unlikely, so she stays to earn the extra degrees.
She gets drafted by an NBA team and decides the pioneering aspect is just too great and reluctantly says "bye-bye" to UConn.
She uses a Magic 8-Ball to make her decision.
She works to get a wrongly convicted criminal out of jail, falls in love, and abandons basketball entirely. (Hey, it happens!)
She does a guest host gig on Jeopardy and enjoys it so much she decides to become the permanent host, dropping basketball entirely. (This is if Aaron Rodgers doesn't beat her to it.)
She gets abducted by aliens... possibly to lead their team against a Space Jam team.

I believe I've covered enough bases that I have a very good chance of patting myself on the back after 3 years... or 4 years... or 5 years. :)

Reaction Score
The biggest reason for leaving early is to monetize one's talent. Now that reason is lessened. If it keeps Bueckers in school for 4 years then hurrah.
The NCAA started this a long time ago when in order to keep elite athletes from going pro they allowed them to borrow large sums of money from banks and use it to insure themselves against major injury. Their collateral was their earning potential in the future. Spin that any way you like but $$$ changed hands and the athlete benefited. And for decades the NCAA has had no problem with it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I love how people on here speak for Paige as if they know what goes on inside her head, telling us what is most important to her and what is not. I resisted doing that, instead merely quoting Paige's mom -- who probably knows her daughter better than even the wisest among the Boneyarders. Since the BY predictions run the gamut from she leaves after 3 to she stays for all 5, we will inevitably get some posters patting themselves on the back and saying "I predicted this back in 2021." Self back patting seems to be a favorite activity among some posters. :)

Here are some possible Paige scenarios, most of which I have not seen predicted yet:
She continues to believe education is important (remember, she made Dean's List, so even though she might not be Molly Bent, she does seem interested in learning) so she stays and earns the 3 Master's degrees her mom suggested.
She analyzes the WNBA draft each year, using her probable destination as the decision maker whether to stay or go. So it could be 3, 4 or 5 years.
She continues to have ankle problems, and like Morgan Tuck, decides to leave early to maximize the number of years she can play pro ball.
Her ankle problems (or other physical issues) become so severe that a pro career looks unlikely, so she stays to earn the extra degrees.
She gets drafted by an NBA team and decides the pioneering aspect is just too great and reluctantly says "bye-bye" to UConn.
She works to get a wrongly convicted criminal out of jail, falls in love, and abandons basketball entirely. (Hey, it happens!)
She does a guest host gig on Jeopardy and enjoys it so much she decides to become the permanent host, dropping basketball entirely. (This is if Aaron Rodgers doesn't beat her to it.)
She gets abducted by aliens... possibly to lead their team against a Space Jam team.

I believe I've covered enough bases that I have a very good chance of patting myself on the back after 3 years... or 4 years... or 5 years. :)
Give me a break, you just put out the same stuff as most others, you're no different except sounds like the aliens already got to you. That said I enjoyed your post, ;)

Reaction Score
Give me a break, you just put out the same stuff as most others, you're no different except sounds like the aliens already got to you. That said I enjoyed your post, ;)
Shhhhhh..... the aliens will hear you!

Reaction Score
I vote for one Master's Level degree over the possible 4 - 5 years : Exercise Physiology ? But, it is
too early to predict something so far into the future. ENJOY THE MOMENT!
"UNFINISHED BUSINESS!" == Evina Westbrook quote. Getting NC ring(s) will be
partial payback for the extended team and reserves. Most people have to think of
live W/O the WNBA and after their playing years.

Reaction Score

This is the most likely scenario to me.

Reaction Score
Paige will leave after her 3rd year at UCONN. She will leave basketball as a player entirely, get married and have kids. She will become a soccer mom and coach elementary school basketball. The millions she made while at UCONN will be all she needs to lead a contented life and have no regrets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige will leave after her 3rd year at UCONN. She will leave basketball as a player entirely, get married and have kids. She will become a soccer mom and coach elementary school basketball. The millions she made while at UCONN will be all she needs to lead a contented life and have no regrets.
Guessing she is a just a bit more driven to being the greatest basketball player ever :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom