The November 1 Depth Chart (More or Less) Revealed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The November 1 Depth Chart (More or Less) Revealed

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll see what happens in game 2 or the Stanford game. Z could be a starter, but Geno seems to be leaning toward Crystal. I thought both were very, very good on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou has had 42 offensive rebounds and 220 defensive rebounds in her career. Also, she has often deferred to Gabby or Napheesa if they both have their hands on a rebound. Unselfish and smart. I've seen players fight their teammate for a rebound and lose possession of the ball.

Reaction Score
The difference between Kyla and Molly, except size, is: Molly won't shoot / passes first/ is that confidence or acquiescence? I have been a fan for Molly but reality is reality. As others have seen Walker even as a Frosh plays decent defense and has offensive and rebounding skills all of which spell more down time for the duo.
Crunch time --as some has said means the fab six--however; poor Geno saddled with talent--could mean adjustment depending on whom is creating the crunch. Luxury in living style and number of players is living the good life.

However, Walker isn't a point guard. There are enough shooters and Molly will take her shots when needed. I do love Walkers game... Once she gets into a rhythm and gains more confidence... it's going to be lights out for other teams. :)

Reaction Score
(1) Depends on how quick and how big, but I'd think it would be among Kia, Crystal, and Gabby.

(2) I think the question about Z vs. Crystal would be based on opposing a big post, not a scoring guard.

(1) - I know it would be between the 3 and eventually maybe a couple of the frosh. But who of the 3? For example, the best player on Miami a couple of years ago (Courtney Williams."). Who would guard that type? The Syracuse pg we played in the finals and last year, she was their key offensive weapon, who would you have guard that type? What about a Shoni Shimmel type? And the POY - the Washington player from last year?

(2) So if an opposing team is built around their guard play, can I assume the following opinion of yours you either
a.) "not worried by the perimeter" from the other team regardless hwo good they are from the perimeter.
b.) don't care if the opposing team gets into a perimeter a groove early because the games will come down to UCONN's post play?
c.) No matter what happens UCONN's depth will rule the day anyways - so no need to worry about permeter matchups early.

**By the way, which player do you think is UCONN's best perimeter defender?

Reaction Score
Uconn's best D right now is their trapping wow. The traps from Gabby, KLS, Kia and Azure were reminiscent of Stewie s senior year. We can get automatic steals from those.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
(1) - I know it would be between the 3 and eventually maybe a couple of the frosh. But who of the 3? For example, the best player on Miami a couple of years ago (Courtney Williams."). Who would guard that type? The Syracuse pg we played in the finals and last year, she was their key offensive weapon, who would you have guard that type? What about a Shoni Shimmel type? And the POY - the Washington player from last year?

(2) So if an opposing team is built around their guard play, can I assume the following opinion of yours you either
a.) "not worried by the perimeter" from the other team regardless hwo good they are from the perimeter.
b.) don't care if the opposing team gets into a perimeter a groove early because the games will come down to UCONN's post play?
c.) No matter what happens UCONN's depth will rule the day anyways - so no need to worry about permeter matchups early.

UConn determines the matchups, not the other way around. Let the opponent adjust to us.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
We'll see what happens in game 2 or the Stanford game. Z could be a starter, but Geno seems to be leaning toward Crystal. I thought both were very, very good on Wednesday.

More interesting to me than who starts is who finishes. If there is a tight game this season--and that may not be the case--it's difficult for me to believe that Z, as efficient as she is and with her ability to influence the game at both ends of the court, won't be on the floor. But in that scenario, (and I know there are countless variables), who sits? Crystal? Gabby? Pheesa? Kia? Lou? What do you think, Milford?

Reaction Score
UConn determines the matchups, not the other way around. Let the opponent adjust to us.

Yes but that wasn't my question. All I asked was

The opponent has a quick, very good athletic scoring guard. Who do you put on her to start the game? Do you think it best she gets in a groove then try to wear her down or is it better to put your best on her to start the game to try to prevent her from getting into the groove?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

The opponent has a quick, very good athletic scoring guard. Who do you put on her to start the game? Do you think it best she gets in a groove then try to wear her down or is it better to put your best on her to start the game to try to prevent her from getting into the groove?
Ah, okay. Isn't it usually Kia who draws that assignment?

Reaction Score
However, Walker isn't a point guard. There are enough shooters and Molly will take her shots when needed. I do love Walkers game... Once she gets into a rhythm and gains more confidence... it's going to be lights out for other teams. :)
If only that were true! Molly will take her shots when needed. So far Molly has only shown a penchant to pass even when she was in the right place to score, inside or out. No argument on OUR| love for Molly; but as Butler was--she is what she is, but in Molly's case she is not limited by her physical being but by her mental outlook, Confidence. Molly has had one full year and 2 summers of playing pickup with the big guys--one would think that is sufficient time to build a rhythm. She normally would have time to build that confidence but look around her--?? Walker is talented and has a level of confidence--and Geno has shown an interest in her at this point she isn't a guard--but Geno makes ice cream out of sherbet at times

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Just a guess, but this is what I think happens:

Kia will guard the offensive threat at guard much of the time. When Z is on the floor, Gabby may guard her. I’m not sure Crystal would draw the assignment unless it’s a small guard like Morgan William. Geno could rotate and rest all 3 to keep them fresh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think Gabby is our best defender at almost any position. I think she and Kia share the responsibility.

Reaction Score
Just a guess, but this is what I think happens:

Kia will guard the offensive threat at guard much of the time. When Z is on the floor, Gabby may guard her. I’m not sure Crystal would draw the assignment unless it’s a small guard like Morgan William. Geno could rotate and rest all 3 to keep them fresh.

If you started AZ, you could have Gabby guard "Courtney Williams" type, right? You could also have Gabby guard the elite pg's, too, right? And she and Nurse could be the primary ball-handlers on fastbreaks too, right? Gabby has guard skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More interesting to me than who starts is who finishes. If there is a tight game this season--and that may not be the case--it's difficult for me to believe that Z, as efficient as she is and with her ability to influence the game at both ends of the court, won't be on the floor. But in that scenario, (and I know there are countless variables), who sits? Crystal? Gabby? Pheesa? Kia? Lou? What do you think, Milford?
That’s an excellent question. As you noted, there are lots of variables. It may depend on the game flow, who is hot, who is struggling, and who is in foul trouble. I also think it depends on whether we have a small lead or are trailing. If we are behind, I have Z on the floor for Gabby or possibly Crystal. That is our best offensive unit in my opinion.

Though I don’t think Z will be a starter, if we have a possession where we absolutely need a bucket, I have her on the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you started AZ, you could have Gabby guard "Courtney Williams" type, right? You could also have Gabby guard the elite pg's, too, right? And she and Nurse could be the primary ball-handlers on fastbreaks too, right? Gabby has guard skills.
Gabby runs the break pretty nicely, though I think Crystal has the best guard skills.

Courtney Williams, in my opinion, was the hardest player for Moriah to guard. Courtney may have been the only player whom Moriah couldn’t guard when she had the ball. Mo was pretty good at denying her the ball, but Courtney’s speed and quick elevation make her almost unguardable. I didn’t see anyone in the W having much success.

Reaction Score
Gabby runs the break pretty nicely, though I think Crystal has the best guard skills.

Courtney Williams, in my opinion, was the hardest player for Moriah to guard. Courtney may have been the only player whom Moriah couldn’t guard when she had the ball. Mo was pretty good at denying her the ball, but Courtney’s speed and quick elevation make her almost unguardable. I didn’t see anyone in the W having much success.

Sure Danger does it better. But won't the defense be better when you have AZ, NC, GW, KLS, and KN?

And isn't Gabby the best defender to guard Courtney types? You'd have to have KN guard her. Which isn't bad. But what about very quick guards? Even then Gabby can guard teh quick pg better than Danger. But if you did that while Danger was in the game, Lou would have to be guarding the pf, and KN guarding the sf.

You'd have no problem with the matchup with AZ in the game. Just put Gabby on the best perimeter player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sure Danger does it better. But won't the defense be better when you have AZ, NC, GW, KLS, and KN?

And isn't Gabby the best defender to guard Courtney types? You'd have to have KN guard her. Which isn't bad. But what about very quick guards? Even then Gabby can guard teh quick pg better than Danger. But if you did that while Danger was in the game, Lou would have to be guarding the pf, and KN guarding the sf.

You'd have no problem with the matchup with AZ in the game. Just put Gabby on the best perimeter player.
That may work on the defensive end. But only there.

Reaction Score
That may work on the defensive end. But only there.

Why? I'm not arguing. But what is it below that you don't think will work offensively? In addition when Gabby is the 4 offensively, a lot of offense works through her, doesn't it?

Offensively
PG-- What if you think Kia Nurse can play pg? I posted before that I don't understand why she can't. She played for Team Canada and played pg at one time. I'm not arguing. But if she did play pg for Team Canada, why can't she be a part-time pg for UCONN?

SG-- If KML was able to play some sg, then what is it that KML could do that the jr Katie Lou has no chance to do?

SF -- Small forward is a misnomer. But you can interchange with ball movement both Collier and AZ at the sf and at center. When UCONN had Tuck and Stewie they would also play either Stokes or Gabby inside. SO either Stewie or Tuck would play on the outside. You don't see any issues of Collier or AZ able to play sf if for example Tuck was able to play sf, do you? Both can handle and shoot.

Pf-- Gabby. 'Nuff Said.

C--- AZ or Collier. Either can play it.

What is it that you don't see with this lineup?

Reaction Score
If only that were true! Molly will take her shots when needed. So far Molly has only shown a penchant to pass even when she was in the right place to score, inside or out. No argument on OUR| love for Molly; but as Butler was--she is what she is, but in Molly's case she is not limited by her physical being but by her mental outlook, Confidence. Molly has had one full year and 2 summers of playing pickup with the big guys--one would think that is sufficient time to build a rhythm. She normally would have time to build that confidence but look around her--?? Walker is talented and has a level of confidence--and Geno has shown an interest in her at this point she isn't a guard--but Geno makes ice cream out of sherbet at times
So you are there every day in practice? You have privy to everything the coaches are telling her? You can also read minds? Let's agree just to disagree... Peace out.

Reaction Score
So you are there every day in practice? You have privy to everything the coaches are telling her? You can also read minds? Let's agree just to disagree... Peace out.

How did you know I had that access? That was supposed to be kept on the dark side. Oh, I supposed there is always a leak.

Reaction Score
No need to agree or disagree--anything posted herein is an OPINION. As Geno has often says : "Everyone has one ; like armpits some smell some don't"
I today posted that Molly was better on defense but still lack offensives tendencies. She is what she is.

Reaction Score
No need to agree or disagree--anything posted herein is an OPINION. As Geno has often says : "Everyone has one ; like armpits some smell some don't"
I today posted that Molly was better on defense but still lack offensives tendencies. She is what she is.
Thanks Broadway. Have a great week. Can't wait for this coming Sunday... I have a feeling Stanford's gonna be in trouble.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn has a solid 8, barring injuries.
Kia Nurse
Gabby Williams
Napheesa Collier
Kate Lou Samuelson
Crystal Dangerfield
Azura Stevens
Batouly Camara (once cleared by the doctor)
Megan Walker
*Possible Mikayla Coombs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom