The Nordlander perspective ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Nordlander perspective ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you guys still not understand that "better program" does not mean "who would win if we played today"? You need to get that. Football is about bowl game appearances, and star players in the NFL, hall of famers, and big games won against big time opponents that you will talk to your grandkids about. Your hoops success has been outstanding, but even then, we're talking about a limited sample size, and an athletic department facing big questions about its future now that your one successful coach has gone. (Yes, I know about Gino, but nobody cares about women's hoops. Nobody.)

Limited sample size?

SU was second to St. Bonaventure not that long ago. Think about that. UConn, in the 60s, was in the NCAA tourney more than SU. So ... your history is really 1975 (Marty Headd) on. Got us by about a decade; methinks.

You don't care about womens BB - I get that. It has a place. And, I have no friggin' idea how Mike Hopkins is going to replicate what Boeheim has been doing - particularly the last few years. But ... that is an unknown. So is replacing K. I believe Kevin Ollie is going to be the best of the 3 transitions ... but ask me in 5 years.

This is about the Ben Schwartzwalder & Mike Ditka over UConn. And about Louisville's recent impressive Petrino run with Brian Brohm. But the ACC CLEARLY does not choose like the B1G; and I believe their choices will prove illusory. I think a sting is coming to curse the ACC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the concern isn't what the programs have done, but what the programs will do. There is some (understandable) concern that UConn of the post-Calhoun era may not continue its torrid pace of National Championships.

It may not be fair, but when you're trying to choose conference members, you have to think about that.

That might be a reasonable position if not for every other sport in which we've have great success. It's a culture thing. You know like Louisville. The only threat to our AD is being in an irrelevent league. We'd eventually be in the top half of any league we join. I have no doubt about that. Maybe that is the problem.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Pudge, and I'm not dumping on you, but maybe this country is just too dumb to take anything seriously. He actually wrote that UConn and Maryland are on the same level in basketball. How many championships have they won in the past 15 years? How many Final fours? How many conference titles? How many NBA players do they have at the moment?

Seriously, if the whole world is this duck*ing stupid at what point do you throw your hands up and give up?

This was the FIRST thing that I thought of when I was reading the article. I had a very large WTF moment that still hasn't gone away. Our basketball the same as Maryland's......my ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom