The non-revenue sports "problem" | The Boneyard

The non-revenue sports "problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've heard supposed experts say that UConn won't be accepted in the Big 12 because it's too difficult/expensive for non-revenue sports. Beyond the fact that it's really no different than going to Morgantown (once you have to get on a plane the flight isn't that much longer and Storrs is closer to the nearest airport), the real reason this isn't a problem is the small number of sports involved.

The Big 12 sponsors 17 sports. Of those, UConn doesn't offer 3: Equestrian, Gymnastics and Wrestling.

An additional 5 sports compete in regional multi-school tournaments/invitational events and the Big 12 only offers a championship tournament at the end of the season: Cross-country, Golf, Rowing, Swimming/Diving and Track & Field. So, no travel to Storrs.

Now we are down to 9 sports. Two of those, Baseball and Softball, generally start the season in the south anyway (UConn could find a central location in Texas rather than travelling to the Carolinas or Florida) and when they do travel north the teams play 3 game weekend sets, making the travel more justifiable than a single game. Furthermore, only 7 current schools play Softball so the number of trips is fairly small.

The remainder are: MBB, WBB, FB, Women's soccer, Men's Tennis, Women's Tennis and Volleyball. Only 6 current schools play Men's Tennis (versus 10 for Women's Tennis) so it's not a pre-requisite to compete in the league. I could see UConn dropping both or finding regional competition.

There really isn't that much of a travel issue. For many at UConn a bigger issue is what to do about Men's Soccer (no Big 12 Men's Soccer league).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I've heard supposed experts say that UConn won't be accepted in the Big 12 because it's too difficult/expensive for non-revenue sports. Beyond the fact that it's really no different than going to Morgantown (once you have to get on a plane the flight isn't that much longer and Storrs is closer to the nearest airport), the real reason this isn't a problem is the small number of sports involved.

The Big 12 sponsors 17 sports. Of those, UConn doesn't offer 3: Equestrian, Gymnastics and Wrestling.

An additional 5 sports compete in regional multi-school tournaments/invitational events and the Big 12 only offers a championship tournament at the end of the season: Cross-country, Golf, Rowing, Swimming/Diving and Track & Field. So, no travel to Storrs.

Now we are down to 9 sports. Two of those, Baseball and Softball, generally start the season in the south anyway (UConn could find a central location in Texas rather than travelling to the Carolinas or Florida) and when they do travel north the teams play 3 game weekend sets, making the travel more justifiable than a single game. Furthermore, only 7 current schools play Softball so the number of trips is fairly small.

The remainder are: MBB, WBB, FB, Women's soccer, Men's Tennis, Women's Tennis and Volleyball. Only 6 current schools play Men's Tennis (versus 10 for Women's Tennis) so it's not a pre-requisite to compete in the league. I could see UConn dropping both or finding regional competition.

There really isn't that much of a travel issue. For many at UConn a bigger issue is what to do about Men's Soccer (no Big 12 Men's Soccer league).
Let's get the invite first but I have no doubt the big east would take us for men's soccer. They have field hockey and women's lacrosse already.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

On a maybe related note this may help explain why we are in the process of upgrading softball and baseball facilities.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My cousin competed in horse back riding competitions on the club level at UConn. I wonder the feasibility of making it an intercollegiate sport

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My cousin competed in horse back riding competitions on the club level at UConn. I wonder the feasibility of making it an intercollegiate sport
Might be tough getting the horses on the plane.;)

Reaction Score
Im not sure where my life is when I'm googling ncaa horse riding competitions but I did find this on a site about choosing the best school for you, the avid horse rider.....

In competitions sanctioned by IHSA, NCAA and IDA, you ride unfamiliar horses provided primarily by the host school.Another big common denominator is that you are allowed little to no time to practice with or school your mounts before entering a class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom