The NIL will further entrench the existing power programs and | The Boneyard

The NIL will further entrench the existing power programs and

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
make it more difficult for the desired parity to spread.

As brand awareness becomes more of a factor in raising an individuals income and public profile, the more marketing aware players (and advisors) will gravitate to the programs that already garner most of the public's attention.

Surprise appearances like Arizona in the last tournament will become fewer as the better players seek to leverage the programs media presence into increasing their own media.

Recruiters will be armed with statistics like click count per media, commercial and mass media access, and national exposure in wooing the next super stars. Recruiters will provide statistical analysis of how their program will launch the prospective signee into higher draft positions resulting in a lifetime of higher earnings. The geographic bonus of access to mass marketing institutions will become a decision point for players. And Sports Information Directors will move from being an annoying necessity to an integral component of recruiting operations.

And Pandora's Box will have been opened a 15 year old kids cross over to become experts in reading a balance sheet. And the most competitive basketball may be found in DII

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Who among us really desires parity in WCBB? I want UCONN domination of WCBB.
UCONN bad for WCBB!

Boss Lawyer GIF by Ticora Davis, Esq.

Reaction Score
When has there been Parity in college athletics? When has there been Parity in college academics? The college experience has always centered around elitism; your post is just highlighting another excuse not to do the right thing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The horse is out of the barn. NIL is coming. The best we can hope for is either the NCAA and/or Congress to come up with a uniform policy that is both fair and transparent. As I stated in another post, the Olympics survived allowing professionals to compete. IMO, the NCAA will survive NIL.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The best we can hope for is either the NCAA and/or Congress to come up with a uniform policy that is both fair and transparent
and has some fundamental anti-abuse provisions.

Reaction Score
It just remains to be seen what this will all look like when it washes out in the end. One thing for sure, the separation of the athletes from the general student body at schools will grow even wider. Students are going to feel less connected to the team and attendance will drop. I have seen it happen with football at both Maryland and WVU. The students rarely stay past halftime of home games. Most of the people in the stadium are alumni or general admission fans (they generate more ticket revenue) and the number of tickets available for students is very limited. It's a whole different vibe than when I was a student.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the NIL will result in problems when it’s first introduced but I’m not sure “parity” will be one of them. Parity is the result of increased quality athletes into a sport. Since one team is limited to a specific number of players and scholarships, these highly rated athletes cannot all go to the very best programs. The trickle down effect may be a economic myth, but it does apply in college sports…..resulting in the growth of parity.

Reaction Score
When has there been Parity in college athletics? When has there been Parity in college academics? The college experience has always centered around elitism; your post is just highlighting another excuse not to do the right thing.
That’s only if one thinks the right thing to do is to further promote elitism. I for one do not. The right thing is to allow any person, in any field, to earn a living at what they are qualified for and let the market decide their value. In the case of sports, any player should be able to turn professional when they want, period end of story. The NIL is just a sham initiative under the guise of fairness that in reality will legitimately benefit very few. It will, however, allow the NCAA to pocket even more money though because it will make cheating so easy and “legal” they probably won’t have to even go through the pretense of any “investigations” anymore. Bag men will be able to operate in the open and with impunity.

Reaction Score
It just remains to be seen what this will all look like when it washes out in the end. One thing for sure, the separation of the athletes from the general student body at schools will grow even wider. Students are going to feel less connected to the team and attendance will drop. I have seen it happen with football at both Maryland and WVU. The students rarely stay past halftime of home games. Most of the people in the stadium are alumni or general admission fans (they generate more ticket revenue) and the number of tickets available for students is very limited. It's a whole different vibe than when I was a student.
I live in Maryland. The Maryland Football team has been awful for a number of years. In addition to the quest for corporate dollars, I think that's the primary reason for low student attendance.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of NIL, but I think the execution of it on a state by state basis, involving politicians...will be its downfall. If a program is in a state where being compensated isn't permissible, then that could negatively impact recruiting for those schools. And then there is the...fine print which may differ from state to state. I haven't thought a lot about how you get consistency, but it's needed. Everyone and their mom (or dad) will be targeting these kids. I hope the parents have something in place to shield them and to organize the chaos that comes with...MONEY.

Reaction Score
As I said the other day..."outside companies", politicians, agents and lawyers.....how is this a good thing? Cant wait to see what "team" chemistry will be like with some of these clubs.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Over on the men's board Dan Hurley says that UConn has arranged for an 'outside' agency to help the athletes handle their NIL
issues. I guess that is good...assuming the athletes want that aid from that particular source.

Reaction Score
What is more interesting a dynasty or a team that has a great run falls short and isn't heard from again?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Over on the men's board Dan Hurley says that UConn has arranged for an 'outside' agency to help the athletes handle their NIL
issues. I guess that is good...assuming the athletes want that aid from that particular source.
Just curious, who pays the agency? Is it really outside or even permissible if the school is paying?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom