The next step for the program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next step for the program

What should we do?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Since no one is bothering to say it: What if we join the MAC and still go 3-9 or 2-10? We aren’t going to be good in any conference without major staffing changes. At least now we have a good schedule.

I would absolutely not join MAC or CUSA until we’ve tried being Indy with a good OC and DC and competent special teams. I can pretty much guarantee you that if we had a Rhett Lashlee level OC right now, we wouldn’t be having any of these discussions today.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Since no one is bothering to say it: What if we join the MAC and still go 3-9 or 2-10? We aren’t going to be good in any conference without major staffing changes. At least now we have a good schedule.

I would absolutely not join MAC or CUSA until we’ve tried being Indy with a good OC and DC and competent special teams. I can pretty much guarantee you that if we had a Rhett Lashlee level OC right now, we wouldn’t be having any of these discussions today.
Exactly. If we go 2-10 in the MAC, nobody will show up to games. I also fear being able to schedule ACC teams at home. Why would UNC play at a MAC school?

This discussion is a reaction to 1) Army joining the AAC and 2) a 1-7 start with four close losses.
If we are 4-4, we aren’t having these discussions.

Momentum is a big thing for young people. We’ve been on the wrong side of it this year, but I do believe we will be a bowl team in 2024.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
We might be able to get the Big East to let us do it. It’s not looks our baseball program is making the Big East money.
I may be wrong but I believe it's an NCAA rule.

Reaction Score
Exactly. If we go 2-10 in the MAC, nobody will show up to games. I also fear being able to schedule ACC teams at home. Why would UNC play at a MAC school?

This discussion is a reaction to 1) Army joining the AAC and 2) a 1-7 start with four close losses.
If we are 4-4, we aren’t having these discussions.

Momentum is a big thing for young people. We’ve been on the wrong side of it this year, but I do believe we will be a bowl team in 2024.

We’re about to go 2-10 as an Indy and nobody is coming to games.

Students are non existent. The band even skipped a game.

Reaction Score
MAC! Take it. We offer them a few men's and women's hoops games a year and they take us for football. They are close geographically, they have good TV coverage, they have one other flagship university (Buffalo), and we will stand out in a good way regarding facilities and investment. If we finish each year near or at the top of the MAC, we will be in a better position than we are as an Indy.
Just wait until we finish in the bottom half of the MAC each year. Weren’t we going to dominate the AAC? I have zero faith that we can finish near the top of any FCS conference!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
How bout the shoreline conference with North Branford lol

Reaction Score
The next step for the program is to WIN GAMES.

Whatever friggin conference or non conference UConn is in won’t matter in the slightest if the team continues to stink.

How bout worrying about how this team is going to get better?

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I believe it's an NCAA rule.
There is one counter example : Fairfield doesn’t play M lacrosse in the MAAC.

Perhaps because the MAAC started
sponsoring the sport after Fairfield had had a team for years?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
In tickets distributed you mean.
Every school cooks the books. We were 10th before the USF game btw. I just guessed we may be 12th but we may still be top 10.

Reaction Score
With our national brand, I’m surprised that we have not been able to secure our own TV contract from Apple or the CW. I guess we have overstated our national appeal. That said, we need to play 10 P4 games to be a legit program and to attract an Apple or CW to broadcast our home games.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
With our national brand, I’m surprised that we have not been able to secure our own TV contract from Apple or the CW. I guess we have overstated our national appeal. That said, we need to play 10 P4 games to be a legit program and to attract an Apple or CW to broadcast our home games.
Though I would like that very much, it is not realistic. However, CBS Sports network is a national network in over 50 million homes.

I'm fine with a schedule like this:

1 P4 H/H
2 P4 H/H
3 P4 H/H
4 P4 H/H
5 P4 H/H
6 G5 H/H
7 G5 H/H
8 G5 H/H
9 G5 H/H
10 P4 H/H
11 UMass H/H
12 FCS H

Reaction Score

Bottom line. If we don't win games does it really matter who we play? Fix it then we can talk about all of our great options.

Reaction Score

Our football has no brand.

Reaction Score
Our football has no brand.
It’s hard to have a brand built on a decade of consistent losing. We make this game so friggin hard. You almost have to try to be this bad. By sheer statistical variation we should fall into a few great players and catch a few good seasons. But no.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"We"?

Reaction Score
The MAC is made up of second and third tier state colleges. We are a first rank state flagship university. We are a better school academically and athletically than most of the ACC, heck, we ahead than most of the B10.

We do not belong in the MAC.

Reaction Score
Bottom line. If we don't win games does it really matter who we play? Fix it then we can talk about all of our great options.
Exactly. The AD should be spending all his energy raising money for NIL (however that works) and getting top notch oc / dc / st coaches. Nothing else matters if we can’t win and we need the players and coaches to do that. Just a few million a year for two or three years and it’ll pay for itself and then some. I know, easier said than done but that’s what it will take and it’s very possible.

Reaction Score
Sun Belt would definitely be great for football and basketball... demographics similar to AAC but more warm weather teams....
@huskymedic - kindly do me a solid and change "basketball" to "baseball" .... I really did not mean to write that above

Reaction Score
I'd be all for UConn blazing its own trail and staying independent if it would work. If we knew that UConn would eventually join Cuse, Pitt, etc. Maybe try it another year or two. But it seems it would not be sustainable. UConn may not even have a say at this point. The fact that Army caved and is shacking up with the AAC is very concerning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom