The next dominoes (September 14 edition) | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (September 14 edition)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Now, that the Big 12 has officially expanded, here are my thoughts on the next dominoes falling.

I'm going to start with the Mountain West because I think they are going to make a pre-emptive strike on....C-USA for Rice and UTEP. I don't think the AAC or MW will be trading members but I do think the media package will be better for the MW this time around so the MW grabs Rice and UTEP before the AAC does. I also think Gonzaga realizes it needs to prepare for the future post-Few and gets into the MW as an Olympic sports member to balance Hawaii. The Mountain West becomes the de-facto #6 conference.

West: Utah State, Nevada, Hawaii, UNLV, SDSU, SJSU, Fresno State
Mountain: Rice, UTEP, Boise State, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico

At this point, Navy has two options: stay in the AAC or go back to being independent. With the conference losing its major brands, the MW nabbing Rice and UTEP, and there being more independents than last time, Navy moves back to being independent.

The AAC wants to get back into Texas for a 2nd school, but SMU blocks North Texas and UTSA and Texas State don't have the brand necessary so the conference goes in another direction to get to 10 schools.

Louisiana's re-brand catapults the school into the pool of the invited alongside UAB and Marshall.

West: SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Louisiana
East: UAB, Marshall, ECU, USF, Temple

The MAC looks around the landscape and stands pat.

C-USA is next up. With 4 defections, the conference is down to 10 schools. It will look to rip the band-aid off the Sun Belt (now down to 9 schools). It invites Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina to get to 12.

West: North Texas, Louisiana Tech, UTSA, MTSU, WKU, Southern Miss
East: ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, App State, Coastal Carolina

Finally, the Sun Belt is up. Down to 7 schools, desperate times call for desperate measures. They invite NMSU, Liberty, and FCS James Madison to get to 10 football schools, and they cut UT-Arlington and Little Rock loose as Olympic members.

The remaining independents include Notre Dame, Navy, Army, UConn, and UMass. The latter four schedule each other yearly going forward.

Reaction Score
I don't think C-USA has the pull to take sunbelt teams. AAC will go fishing there is my guess. AAC will add four schools to get back to 12.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't think C-USA has the pull to take sunbelt teams. AAC will go fishing there is my guess. AAC will add four schools to get back to 12.
The first part seems to be conventional thinking, but remember that C-USA has a better brand nationally and better basketball (something important to CCU). The AAC may get to 12 but ONLY if the additions include Army or some combination of MW schools. Adding four C-USA/Sun Belt schools kills the brand.

Reaction Score
The first part seems to be conventional thinking, but remember that C-USA has a better brand nationally and better basketball (something important to CCU). The AAC may get to 12 but ONLY if the additions include Army or some combination of MW schools. Adding four C-USA/Sun Belt schools kills the brand.
If they can’t grab 4 MW teams
plus 2 BB only‘s they can go forward without missing a beat .
I agree The AAC is dead otherwise .
The only thing in their favor is Aresco can put a football conference together , He sucked at BB until the WSU add.
Yes I’ve been a critic for 6-7 years but the AAC was the undisputed top G5 football conference and the only conference poached. That speaks volumes .
That conference wasn’t suppose to last a year.

Reaction Score
I would like to see just a smidge of loyalty and sanity in the college ranks and see C-USA hold together. The AAC has some bigger names but the AAC could implode if C-USA stands pat. C-USA is much better geographically for Rice. Coastal Carolina may want to move but I think either the AAC or the Sun Belt is going to fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom