The next dominoes (May 10 edition) | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (May 10 edition)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wow. What a day!

With the movement regarding Missouri State, Grand Canyon, and Seattle, there will be down stream effects. Don't expect any in FBS though.

I predict the MAC will stay at 13 teams, and CUSA will stay at 12 teams.

I also predict Oregon State and Washington State will stay as affiliate members of the WCC for longer than all of us anticipate. By gaining greater CFP money than the rest of the G5, I do not foresee them being able to argue for that larger share in the future if they are part of a G5 league. Therefore, I expect them to stay independent until at least 2028 or longer if they continue to get more than the rest of the G5 past 2028.

Now let's get down to brass tacks. There is a reason Gonzaga is allowing Seattle to join the WCC: the Zags are bolting out the back door.

There are three logical destinations: the Big East, MW, and Big 12.

Ultimately, the Big East adds Gonzaga as a 12th member. Why? 1). TV 2). Increased branding for the league 3). Another top program involved which lessens the chance of only getting three bids 4). The league needs to expand to at least attempt to stay within distance of the other four major basketball leagues. 5). The Villanova star has faded: the league needs a huge #2 brand. Gonzaga ultimately gets turned down by the Big 12, and the Zags want to join a major conference, which the MW is not.

Following Gonzaga's departure, the WCC stays at 10 full and 2 affiliate members in basketball.

The next item on the agenda: the MVC replacing Missouri State. Ultimately, #12 is UMKC, who was a finalist a few years ago.

Around the same time, Stephen F. Austin bolts for the Southland.

Desperate and looking around for hope, Cal Baptist gets a life-line invite from the Big West. The Big West doesn't usually include religious schools, but the Lancers are a geographic and athletic fit.

Down to eight members, the Summit goes hunting: the league adds UT-Arlington, Utah Valley, Southern Utah, and Utah Tech. This enables the Summit to create a football league as well.

The final pieces in the jigsaw puzzle involve Abilene Christian and Tarleton State joining the Southland to give that league 14 members.

Although unrelated to the above mess, Richmond football ultimately lands in the Patriot League as the SoCon wants all sports, and Richmond declines.

And with that folks, the WAC dies.

Reaction Score
Are we not at the point where all of these conferences that have only eight to 12 teams consolidate and form a stronger partnership within themselves. The number 18 is perfect. If it’s a basketball league then you play everyone once. If it’s a football league you split into two divisions and play 8 games then a championship game by the division winners. What makes this a sensible idea is that now you would have geographic conferences.

Am sorry but I’m still not sold on Stanford, California and SMU being in the ACC. The Big 10 can do it because they are a cash cow. The SEC owns the Southeast part of the US. They have the perfect conference name. The MWC. Shares football with the State schools of Oregon and Washington. Then in two years they are going to poach the league of schools and from the AAC to reform the PAC 12. That’s a bunch of crap. UMass playing all sports in the MAC is another joke. They should have just stayed local and joined the lowly NEC.

As mentioned before the Big East is a joke. Gonzaga is not coming this way. And, in reality I don’t want them. When the Catholic Schools split they lost a lot. Yes Villanova bailed them out for a while. Now UConn has done the same thing. But, without football UConn will loose a lot of more as the mega conferences become a reality. What sucks is that this time their is no better option for them then to be an Independent. The ACC which would have make the best landing spot the league split didn’t want us. So we suffered through the AAC. When Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia say see ya the begging conference will come calling. I would want us to join the remaining teams but wouldn’t it be great to see UConn turn around and give them the middle finger?

There are to many useless conferences. It’s time to merge.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When the Catholic Schools split they lost a lot.
Actually, their fox deal paid them more than their basketball only deal in the old big east. Yeah, they lost a little cachet for a while, but multiple championships from Villanova in Connecticut is maintaining the reputation of the conference.

Reaction Score
Actually, their fox deal paid them more than their basketball only deal in the old big east. Yeah, they lost a little cachet for a while, but multiple championships from Villanova in Connecticut is maintaining the reputation of the conference.
That is true but I would bet a lot that Val Akerman at times dreams of having a basketball and football conference again. You still have 10 basketball.

You have your 10 football schools. Boston College, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF, USF, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Add Miami, Virginia Tech, Temple along with Army and Navy. Now you have 15 for Football. VCU, Dayton, St Louis, Duquesne and Rhode Island in basketball.

This makes the league a viable one. Not only in football but men and women’s basketball. At least better in WBB.

Reaction Score
That is true but I would bet a lot that Val Akerman at times dreams of having a basketball and football conference again. You still have 10 basketball.

You have your 10 football schools. Boston College, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Louisville, UCF, USF, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Add Miami, Virginia Tech, Temple along with Army and Navy. Now you have 15 for Football. VCU, Dayton, St Louis, Duquesne and Rhode Island in basketball.

This makes the league a viable one. Not only in football but men and women’s basketball. At least better in WBB.
I would add Villanova upgrading and let Notre Dame park their Olympic teams in the conference as long as they play four games a year or more within the conference and that wouldn’t be a half bad conference.

Reaction Score
It's a little unclear, you want Gonzaga to join the Big East?

Reaction Score

Where'd you get all that meth?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom