The next dominoes (March 7 edition) | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (March 7 edition)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
With ESPN's Pete Thamel reporting on the situation and the University of Colorado's regent meeting, I think we are close to a Pac-12 TV deal that will be enough to stave off departures. I have also now cooled on Pac-12 expansion. I think the 10 (and only 10) Pac-12 schools stay together. But don't worry: there will be dominoes fireworks.

The Big 12 is going to make a basketball expansion: Gonzaga and Creighton. Matt Norlander (CBS Sports) previously mentioned on his podcast that a 2nd school west of the Mississippi was possibly in the running (I think that is Creighton). Adding both allows the league to avoid giving teams byes throughout the season, and I believe increases the league schedule to 20 games.

The Big East will stay at 10. Nobody moves the needle for the league to expand. Also, by going back to 18 league games, the league may actually gain bids on average (even with Creighton's departure). The Big East effectively traded Creighton for UConn. That is a trade the league will make every time.

Gonzaga's departure from the WCC is going to cause some ripples. First up is the Mountain West who snags St. Mary's to get to 12 basketball schools.

The WCC responds to the departures of Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and BYU by adding Seattle, Cal Baptist, and Grand Canyon.

A quick programming break: the OVC adds West Georgia (D2). Matt Brown has reported there is mutual interest so I see this getting done. Back to our regular schedule programming.

C-USA gets in the fun by making two football-only additions: NDSU and SDSU. Both stay in the Summit for Olympic sports.

This is where the vultures start to circle: Utah Tech reaches out to the Big Sky who adds them to get back into Utah and back to 11 Olympic members.

Utah Valley reaches out to the Big West who accepts them. Southern Utah sees the ground is shaking and applies for membership as well. The Big West accepts as they now have travel partners in Utah.

UT-Arlington reaches out to the Southland and is invited. UT-RGV sees the WAC/A-SUN marriage failing and also reaches out to the Southland and is invited as well.

A-SUN finishes off the WAC carcass by adding Tarleton State, Stephen F. Austin, and Abilene Christian to get to 14 members. It invites Southern Utah football-only to get to 7 football schools.

This leaves us with 363 Division 1 schools, 31 conferences, 136 FBS programs, and 128 FCS programs (including UT-RGV and West Georgia).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom