The next dominoes (July 31 edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (July 31 edition)

Reaction Score
Please calm down. I said that brands matter and I never said that Oklahoma was a big market, so I don’t know what you’re arguing about.

Yes, NJ was a relatively long time ago but UCLA and the LA market was not, or are you contending that UCLA is a brand in football.

Anyway, this whole conversation about Missouri because ConnMotors said that the B1G should have grabbed Missouri. That’s his opinion. He’s entitled to it. Arguing about it is pointless.

They are taking big ticket brands. Mizzou is not a big ticket brand by any stretch of the imagination.

If the B1G and SEC were going to take a mulligan they wouldn’t touch SUNJ and Mizzou.

Adding these schools does NOTHING. They aren’t going to go from $100M per school to $110 or even $105. It’s not worth the trouble considering the scheduling complications and they are just another mouth to feed.

Mizzou should just count their lucky stars. the B1G had bigger better and sexier fish to pick from and fry. LOL

Reaction Score
Divisions will be a thing of the past in most conferences. Everyone will rotate on and off conference schedules with 1-3 protected annual rivalries.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
He said that because he wants Notre Dame which is not an AAU school.

Maybe, but if you go by what was said and not putting any previous bias into the situation, it’s not a requirement. We don’t know what the requirements are. We never did know, it was all assumptions based on who was in the Big10 and way at was being talked about 15 years ago. Never once has a Big10 official ever said that AAU was a requirement.

Interestingly enough, wasn’t that idea first thrown out by the Dude?

Reaction Score
They are taking big ticket brands. Mizzou is not a big ticket brand by any stretch of the imagination.

If the B1G and SEC were going to take a mulligan they wouldn’t touch SUNJ and Mizzou.

Adding these schools does NOTHING. They aren’t going to go from $100M per school to $110 or even $105. It’s not worth the trouble considering the scheduling complications and they are just another mouth to feed.

Mizzou should just count their lucky stars. the B1G had bigger better and sexier fish to pick from and fry. LOL
UCLA is a big ticket brand in college football? In what universe?

In 2019, the last pre-Covid season, Missouri’s home attendance average was 54,100; UCLA’s was 43,800.

Reaction Score
It has been a month since the big move but no further moves have been made yet. Here is my theory for the next moves given the latest rumors and speculation:

The B1G is going to stay at 16. They will likely sign their new TV deal next month. This means that Notre Dame has decided not to come and likely have a huge raise in hand from NBC.

As a result of the B1G staying pat, the SEC and ACC do likewise.

The next battle royale will be between the Big 12 and Pac-12, but it will be a cold war: neither side will be able to poach from the other due to similar TV numbers.

The Big 12 stands pat.

The Pac-12, however, would like to expand if the numbers make sense. The numbers make sense if the two (or three) incoming schools combine to equal one share for the first TV contract (lasting six or so years). I think the TV contract will ultimately be will three companies: ESPN, NBC, and Apple+. The Pac-12 gets a contract of about 330 million per year (30 million per school). They expand by adding SDSU (half-share: 15 million), Hawaii football-only (third-share: 10 million) and Gonzaga (sixth-share: 5 million).

The Mountain West at this point is down to ten schools but decides to stand pat as no one (UTEP/NMSU/FCS schools) moves the needle, and they won't be able to raid any AAC schools.

Realignment at the FBS level is complete for the time being.

However, the WCC needs to respond to the loss of Gonzaga and BYU.
They respond by adding Seattle and Grand Canyon to get back to 10.

The WAC at this point is down to 9 schools (6 in football). They cannot find a suitable Division 1 addition and decide to stand pat.

Though unrelated to the previous moves, I believe there will be a few more in the Northeast. The MEAC will add New Haven (D2) to provide cover for Howard to move to the CAA.

The final move will be LeMoyne to the NEC to bring that league back to 10.
Isn't MEAC a HBCU league? Do you think they would let New Haven join? I think New Haven would join the Northeast, if they decide to move up.

Just wondering about that. UNH and SCSU are rivals aren't they?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Isn't MEAC a HBCU league? Do you think they would let New Haven join? I think New Haven would join the Northeast, if they decide to move up.

Just wondering about that. UNH and SCSU are rivals aren't they?
The NEC (read: CCSU and Sacred Heart) don't want them. The MEAC is an HBCU league, but it seems like they are softening their distance on HBCUs only (read: Howard wants to go the CAA but keep the MEAC afloat).

Reaction Score
The NEC (read: CCSU and Sacred Heart) don't want them. The MEAC is an HBCU league, but it seems like they are softening their distance on HBCUs only (read: Howard wants to go the CAA but keep the MEAC afloat).
Thanks for the reply. However, do you think New Haven would go D1? I think they might like being D2 and in the Athelon College Football magazine, they were mentioned. I'm torn if NH went D1 (FCS), it might be interesting to see another D1 school in CT, but do would they succeed being D1?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. However, do you think New Haven would go D1? I think they might like being D2 and in the Athelon College Football magazine, they were mentioned. I'm torn if NH went D1 (FCS), it might be interesting to see another D1 school in CT, but do would they succeed being D1?
Define succeed. Are they going to make the NCAA tournament in basketball once their probationary period is over? Possibly. The NEC is a weak basketball league and to my knowledge UNH is solid at the D-2 level. However, they probably won't amount to a whole lot at the Division 1 level. That being said, I absolutely believe they want to go D-1. It would be good publicity for them if they do make the tournament. Oddly enough, the CAA invited Campbell today so I don't think Howard is on the their radar anymore as they are at 14 schools but who knows.

Reaction Score
their AD is quoted as saying they are looking into going to D1 for all sports.

Reaction Score
Ten to fifteen years ago, markets were important as the cable bundle in markets meant guaranteed money for the conference network. This is why Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big 10, to capture markets through the cable bundle. As we all know the cable bundle is in secular decline and now conferences are focused on brands over markets, although the Big 10 likes the LA market. Conferences now look at schools and ask if that brand can be additive to conference revenues over time

Reaction Score
their AD is quoted as saying they are looking into going to D1 for all sports.
Oh, cool. Didn't know that! Isn't UNH rival SCSU, or am I mistaken? I wonder who would be their rival? CCSU?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom