The next dominoes (July 15 edition) | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (July 15 edition)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Big 12 vs. Pac-12. That is the battle. I think the Pac-12 ultimately wins as it has the better plan. At the end of the day, the Pac-12 has the better brands and less dead weight. They will win out. The Pac-12 expands to 16 by adding Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State.

Those six schools plus Texas and Oklahoma vote to dissolve the Big 12, and they have eight of the ten votes to do it so nobody has to pay any exit fees.

The remaining six schools decide to stick together and form a new conference: the Great Plains Conference. The new league loses its autonomous status.

The six schools (Baylor, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU) invite six others to join: SMU, USF, Boise State, Memphis, Air Force, and Colorado State.

The Mountain West at this point has the upper hand over the AAC and invites Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas to get back to 12. Wichita State is invited for basketball.

Navy decides to go independent at this point as UTSA is the only Texas team remaining.

The remaining seven members (Temple, ECU, Tulane, Charlotte, UAB, FAU, and UTSA) look to raid the Sun Belt, American, and MAC. The AAC expands by seven: Buffalo, UMass, LaTech, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, and Louisiana.

The Sun Belt responds by adding two schools to get to 12: WKU and MTSU.

The MAC is at 11 members and needs to act: they add Missouri State to get to 12 schools.

C-USA is now down to 6: NMSU, FIU, Liberty, UTEP, JSU, SHSU. They stay together and invite two FCS schools: EKU and McNeese State.

The remaining independents are Notre Dame, UConn, Army, and Navy.

Reaction Score
Frankly the Kansa schools don’t bring a lot of value. From a financial perspective, the PAC-10 would be better off leaving their Anti-religion bias behind and bringing in BYU and Baylor instead.

Reaction Score
I believe it's in ESPN's best interest to dissolve the B12 quickly so Texas and OU can go to the SEC sooner.

The quickest way for the B12 to dissolve is to get PAC-12 to invite a bunch of B12 schools so majority with Texas and OU can vote to dissolve the B12 conference now to get everyone out of the GOR.

I am wondering if that's what ESPN is telling PAC-12 right now during their exclusive negotiation window. This way, ESPN can get rid of more dead weights in the B12 while locking up the new PAC-16 or whatever. The rest of B12 will have to form a new conference and backfill with MWC and AAC schools while negotiating for a much lower media contract. Essentially, the new B12 is like the old AAC.

Can ESPN do this? Of course they can since they are that evil. It's all business and money at this point.

Reaction Score
I believe it's in ESPN's best interest to dissolve the B12 quickly so Texas and OU can go to the SEC sooner.

The quickest way for the B12 to dissolve is to get PAC-12 to invite a bunch of B12 schools so majority with Texas and OU can vote to dissolve the B12 conference now to get everyone out of the GOR.

I am wondering if that's what ESPN is telling PAC-12 right now during their exclusive negotiation window. This way, ESPN can get rid of more dead weights in the B12 while locking up the new PAC-16 or whatever. The rest of B12 will have to form a new conference and backfill with MWC and AAC schools while negotiating for a much lower media contract. Essentially, the new B12 is like the old AAC.

Can ESPN do this? Of course they can since they are that evil. It's all business and money at this point.

How does ESPN blow it up when they split the conference w FOX?

Somebody needs to make FOX whole for the remaining 2 years of the contract in order for that to happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

How does ESPN blow it up when they split the conference w FOX?

Somebody needs to make FOX whole for the remaining 2 years of the contract in order for that to happen.

This aligns with my viewpoint that ESPN and FOX will engage in horse trading to split up the spoils of any conference not named B1G or SEC.

It's strategic for both of them to accelerate change and create a new world order of college football.

Reaction Score
where in the above scenario does UConn end up ?
Likely in some leftover conference whether it's the ACC or a newly created entity.

How many schools it consists of & who they actually are is yet to be determined but other members would likely be Cuse, Pitt & BC among others

Reaction Score
where in the above scenario does UConn end up ?
with Rosie Palm

I think it all blows up in 10-20 years so they are all grabbing what they can now. Today people are growing up with different priorities and lifestyles and interests. Families are booked with the kids' schedules and there are far more entertainment options. Nelson talks about CTE which is definitely a factor and the decline in football participation could continue. Sports like lacrosse, soccer, and hurling continue to grow although just as potentially dangerous. Seriously, it seems hurling would be more popular around here.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile colleges be like:

Reaction Score
Big 12 vs. Pac-12. That is the battle. I think the Pac-12 ultimately wins as it has the better plan. At the end of the day, the Pac-12 has the better brands and less dead weight. They will win out. The Pac-12 expands to 16 by adding Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State.

Those six schools plus Texas and Oklahoma vote to dissolve the Big 12, and they have eight of the ten votes to do it so nobody has to pay any exit fees.

The remaining six schools decide to stick together and form a new conference: the Great Plains Conference. The new league loses its autonomous status.

The six schools (Baylor, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU) invite six others to join: SMU, USF, Boise State, Memphis, Air Force, and Colorado State.

The Mountain West at this point has the upper hand over the AAC and invites Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas to get back to 12. Wichita State is invited for basketball.

Navy decides to go independent at this point as UTSA is the only Texas team remaining.

The remaining seven members (Temple, ECU, Tulane, Charlotte, UAB, FAU, and UTSA) look to raid the Sun Belt, American, and MAC. The AAC expands by seven: Buffalo, UMass, LaTech, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, and Louisiana.

The Sun Belt responds by adding two schools to get to 12: WKU and MTSU.

The MAC is at 11 members and needs to act: they add Missouri State to get to 12 schools.

C-USA is now down to 6: NMSU, FIU, Liberty, UTEP, JSU, SHSU. They stay together and invite two FCS schools: EKU and McNeese State.

The remaining independents are Notre Dame, UConn, Army, and Navy.
"Those six schools plus Texas and Oklahoma vote to dissolve the Big 12, and they have eight of the ten votes to do it so nobody has to pay any exit fees"

Are you sure that Texas and Oklahoma have votes? IIRC Syracuse and Pittsburgh lost their voting rights when they notified oBE of their intention to leave and could not vote on any more issues or additional teams.

Reaction Score
I never believed the PAC's four corner schools would leave for the Big 12 so long as Washington & Oregon remain. The PAC has better brands.

I am honestly unsure whether any Big 12 schools would add value to the PAC. I definitely don't envision the PAC adding six Big 12 schools.

Reaction Score
with Rosie Palm

I think it all blows up in 10-20 years so they are all grabbing what they can now. Today people are growing up with different priorities and lifestyles and interests. Families are booked with the kids' schedules and there are far more entertainment options. Nelson talks about CTE which is definitely a factor and the decline in football participation could continue. Sports like lacrosse, soccer, and hurling continue to grow although just as potentially dangerous. Seriously, it seems hurling would be more popular around here.

None of them are as dangerous as football.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
with Rosie Palm

I couldn't even make it through the entire hurling promo video.

Reaction Score
This aligns with my viewpoint that ESPN and FOX will engage in horse trading to split up the spoils of any conference not named B1G or SEC.

It's strategic for both of them to accelerate change and create a new world order of college football.

ESPN and Fox also split the PAC 12 rights at about the same time. But those deals were a decade ago.

Bob Thompson, the former president of Fox Sports Networks, recently said “Fox was probably pretty ticked when Texas and Oklahoma announced the move to the SEC and I imagine they believe ESPN was behind it,” Thompson said. “I think the days of Fox and ESPN partnering on things like the Big 12 and Pac-12 are probably over for now.”

Reaction Score

You make a good point, but everyone is hamstrung by the possibility of future moves by the B1G. They are likely to raid the PAC-12 for 3 or 4 more members. They don’t have to do anything quite yet because there’s still time before the TV contracts run out and enough time to give notice. Now that USC and UCLA have gone public, everyone is assessing their options differently. The SEC is standing Pat for now - emphasis on “FOR NOW”.

This interim period reminds me of the Big East situation a decade ago when they tried to survive by adding TCU and then BSU and SDSU. Of course those moves never materialized when everything fell apart. Same thing could happen again. Hence, everyone is being cautious, trying to wait until the dust settles. Meanwhile the B1G is waiting in Notre Dame. And Notre Dame is just waiting.

Reaction Score
with Rosie Palm

How many broken fingers? This looks wild.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even make it through the entire hurling promo video.
I’m still waiting for soccer to catch on in the USA. I have been hearing about soccer becoming the next big thing in the USA since I was in high school in the early 80’s. It’s still just a small blip on the radar here in the USA. Maybe someday it will catch on. Our best athletes here in the USA play Basketball and football, followed by baseball, hockey, and lacrosse ( in no particular order).

Reaction Score
It’s catching on like crazy with young kids in Connecticut. I went down to W VA a few weeks ago for the Eastern regionals for kids’ premier soccer. It’s getting much bigger than it was years ago.

Reaction Score
I’m still waiting for soccer to catch on in the USA. I have been hearing about soccer becoming the next big thing in the USA since I was in high school in the early 80’s. It’s still just a small blip on the radar here in the USA. Maybe someday it will catch on. Our best athletes here in the USA play Basketball and football, followed by baseball, hockey, and lacrosse ( in no particular order).
I feel bad for the folks who don't catch your sarcasm and aren't paying attention. We all remember when MLS was going to fail in in season 1, some 26 years ago. From Soccer Sundays and banners at UCONN to premier travel teams to rec leagues. Soccer rules the day here. I even know a kid who got a full ride to a another Big East program and won a national championship. That's not bad. hockey and lacrosse. haha. I read ya.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 does not have the advantage over the Pac-12. And the Pac-12 has the most dead weight. Wash State / Oregon State / Cal. What's the dead weight in the Big 12? Uhh Kansas State? Kansas in football sure, but they more than make up for it in hoops. WVU?

Reaction Score
Iowa State, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Central Florida are all fairly deadweight. Also there really is no “more than makes up for it in basketball” as that’s not how that works at present. So Kansas football is the definition of deadweight. The best brands in the B12 are Oklahoma State and Texas Tech and West Virginia. Baylor and TCU are fairly small alumni bases, but along with BYU would be the best of the rest.

The reason the PAC-12 is in more trouble is because the best bits of the B12 have already been taken. There’s still more meat on the bones with the PAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom