The next defensive Dawg? | The Boneyard

The next defensive Dawg?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
With Nika the Nat going to the league who will ascend to the mantle of "Stopper" this up coming season? My vote goes to KK if she can learn to cut down on her fouls, it took Nika almost 2 years to learn to control/adjust her umm.....temperament. Also who'll be the stopper at the forward/wing and Center positions?

Reaction Score
With Nika the Nat going to the league who will ascend to the mantle of "Stopper" this up coming season? My vote goes to KK if she can learn to cut down on her fouls, it took Nika almost 2 years to learn to control/adjust her umm.....temperament. Also who'll be the stopper at the forward/wing and Center positions?

KK has already shown she is

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Very true. If Jana is back to erase any mistakes, that puts all our defenders, but particularly KK in a position to be very aggressive to the three-point line.
I agree.

Reaction Score
I agree with almost every poster on this issue. Looking at the next starting 5, I felt KK is the new Nika. KK is very good (not quite a full Nika yet). KK has a good assist record and her 3 point shot is coming along. Why KK can replace Nika?---KK is quicker, KK has a better handle, and KK is a much better scorer. Along with Paige, KK can penetrate. Of course, She needs to learn to dish a little sooner. She also needs to stop and Pop that jumper. KK was a better defender as a frosh then Nika was as a frosh. KK played mucho minutes too.
I know the focus was on replacing Nika on D, however, as a total package, KK as a soph can be equal to or even better than Nika. If Jana is as good as Geno says, then the team D will be even better than last year.

Reaction Score
Please don't overlook the brilliant and smothering defense ASH played all season. She isn't as quick as KK, but who is?

Reaction Score
I agree with the above comments on KK. She seems to me the natural successor to Nika as a defensive stopper among the guards. That said, she gives up a few inches to Nika, which may limit her against certain opponents. I can see Ashlynn getting the call in some of those situations. I also think having Aubrey back in the rotation will be a tremendous asset defensively, especially against bigger, athletic guards and wings like Juju.

Reaction Score
As of today, it has to be KK. Aubrey will be part of the group when she returns. I think Ash has the potential once she gets the confidence to get closer to her man. Right now she has a tendency to put too much space between her and her man. She surely has the conditioning for it....

Reaction Score
I think both Ash and KK benefited a tremendous amount having Nika mentor them. It isnt just quickness but knowing what ur opponent is trying to do and being there first. Nika taught them the shortcuts and how to read defense. You could see it as both got defensively better. So I'm saying its gonna be the pair of them that will be the stoppers along with Paige.
I havent seen enough of Morgan, Allie or Sarah to add them to the mix their first year.

Reaction Score
KK is that Dawg! I am looking forward to seeing her turn up the defensive intensity this season. She got her feet wet. She got a taste of the competition. Now just a matter of her will vs the other person's will. Will she make it personal? We will see. I hope so.

Reaction Score
I think they will have to rely on team defense next year. KK is a good defender on the perimeter but any coach worth a dollar will just post her up and make her defend the post. If everyone is healthy I don't expect KK to even be a starter next season. They (Geno) won't be playing to win the Big East next season and he knows they will need size to win it all and they will have the roster next year to put that size on the court. I do expect her to be the first player off the bench and a huge part of their overall rotation and success next year though.

Reaction Score
I think they will have to rely on team defense next year. KK is a good defender on the perimeter but any coach worth a dollar will just post her up and make her defend the post.

I don’t see how the first part of this sentence fits the second. Team defense is what Geno always relies on and it specifically means opponents can’t easily post up against a player of their choosing.

The rest of your post makes sense to me. KK may not be a season-long starter, though mainly because of depth rather than size considerations. I suspect she’ll start in November mainly because Geno might want to start the players who are already a unit, so to speak, and are really experienced in the system, and are healthy. Right now that’s likely to be these four: Paige KK Ash and Ice. What happens once Azzi Ayanna and Caroline are up to speed is anyone’s guess.

As for that fifth starting spot in November, I can see Geno going with Jana or Sarah. Personally, I want to see both of them on the court as soon as possible. So, even if Jana starts earlier, I have a feeling Sarah will start by January.

And as always, who starts in November is a totally different question from who starts in February or April. The one sure thing for starting all year is Paige. If healthy, Azzi too. I just rewatched Azzi’s OOC games from early last season and after that reminder of how great she can be it’s hard to imagine that Azzi not starting as soon as possible.

Even with these things in mind, I wouldn’t bet against KK starting for much of the season.

Reaction Score
I agree with almost every poster on this issue. Looking at the next starting 5, I felt KK is the new Nika. KK is very good (not quite a full Nika yet). KK has a good assist record and her 3 point shot is coming along. Why KK can replace Nika?---KK is quicker, KK has a better handle, and KK is a much better scorer. Along with Paige, KK can penetrate. Of course, She needs to learn to dish a little sooner. She also needs to stop and Pop that jumper. KK was a better defender as a frosh then Nika was as a frosh. KK played mucho minutes too.
I know the focus was on replacing Nika on D, however, as a total package, KK as a soph can be equal to or even better than Nika. If Jana is as good as Geno says, then the team D will be even better than last year.
KK needs to make her layups !!

Reaction Score
Our graduating Gnat wasn’t just the head of the snake but also directed the defense. I think Paige will take on that later role. The Knat along with Aubrey and possibly others will likely handle the former. IMO.

Reaction Score
KK needs to make her layups !!
And better decisions on when to drive to the basket. Seems to me that KK is prone to force the drive when it's not open. I like the aggressiveness, but KK needs to be a little more smart about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom