THE NEW WIZARD OF STORRS | The Boneyard

THE NEW WIZARD OF STORRS

Reaction Score
The master of coaches has changed, I've been noticing for a while that he realizes that he is many generations in back of his young players and he is such a master that he has become a different coach. His players 'get him'...the sight of him in old school basketball gear was funny and he is consistent in his comments that this generation of kids is very different. There may be a few exceptions, but the kids seem to love him. He hasn't lost his basketball brilliance and is doing a great job trying to relate to his players....giving clipboard to Autumn & telling her to coach the team, the ease the players have in coming into the office relaxed, kids making fun of him like the slime thing much more. His players make fun of him in a respectful way like imitating his hair fixing, facial touching, and glasses fumbling. He has adapted and good for him. He is the wizard of Storrs! I think us BY'ers also get it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just want to add a few things to the well written post by @da60. Geno has done more than adapt his coaching style. Back in the days of Sue and Dee, he wouldn't recruit a kid until well into their junior years of HS (give or take). The class of 2002 with Strother was the last good class he was able to get doing it that way.

In 2003, he missed out on all his top targets and was left with Sherwood, Robinson, and Wright. Wright left before classes even started, and both Robinson and Sherwood transferred after 1 year. He quickly realized he needed to change, and he started just a tad earlier the following year landing Houston, Swanier and Thomas.

But the following season it was Montgomery, Greene, Williams and Kerns followed by the class of Tina Charles in 2006. I'm not sure of the exact moment he started going after kids earlier, but he realized pretty fast that he needed to change that aspect of recruiting.

I'm sure there are MANY other examples of how things have changed with the times. I know Geno has lamented that the kids "now-a-days" don't have the same attitude towards hoops, work ethic, etc. as kids from previous generations. But he still manages to pull in top kids, and for the most part, coaches the hell out of them. It never gets old when you tell kids you want them to be the best players AND best humans they can possibly be.

We are so blessed he decided to coach at that little agricultural college in Northeast Connecticut!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The two biggest things I learned working with young kids, oh so many moons ago, was to keep a sense of humor and adapt to changing circumstances/ times.

You don't change your expectations. You change the way you get there. And yea, as we get older we do have a tendency to mellow out. That's not a bad thing.

Geno has done this so well over his tenure.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed this season more than any that I have followed religiously. I think Geno's hitting the right notes right on Q. I think his attitude during the pandemic has been nothing short of masterful. Much of what he can do is a result of built up capital, such as a phenomenal staff and trust from the parents, but it is marvelous none the less.
I do not want to jinx anything, but this team is coming together. Right before our eyes players are getting better in their roles each game. Nika can be a huge positive influence on the floor when she goes 1-5, what the heck, she just went 8-13. AE is blossoming. CW and Liv are getting comfortable.
I believe everyone is getting more and more used to Paige. They have to be convinced by now that she loves to be the floor general, help make everyone better, and assist on baskets. They know by know unequivocally that Paige is special. It's tricky playing with someone that you know is gifted. Imagine playing with Larry or Magic or Michael.
As the roster continues to get better daily, to me the last step in this year's journey will be when Paige figures out her role. I think it's gunna be epic!

Reaction Score
The two biggest things I learned working with young kids, oh so many moons ago, was to keep a sense of humor and adapt to changing circumstances/ times.

You don't change your expectations. You change the way you get there. And yea, as we get older we do have a tendency to mellow out. That's not a bad thing.

Geno has done this so well over his tenure.
100%
But I would argue that each situation (team) has the perfect approach or "pitch". It may be "lightening in a bottle" in which the mellow Geno as you say is excelling with a group of 7 freshmen from this "new" generation.
I choose to believe that Geno can play a lot of different "notes" depending on what is right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom