The New Rule | The Boneyard

The New Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, rather than respond individually I figured I would post a thread. My concern with the new NBA /NCAA rule - is that guys will drop the academics and just work out for the NBA. I don't plan to out guys that haven't outted themselves but some will have to go to the draft by default because they will stop going to class - so another year in college won't be an option. I think of Rudy Gay when I am typing this post. He wanted to come back but the he had crossed the Rubicon. That may also happen to DHam!

Reaction Score
That's may also happen to DHam!

I noticed that you really developed a very solid, convincing argument as to why this might happen to Hamilton.

C

Chief00

I noticed that you really developed a very solid, convincing argument as to why this might happen to Hamilton.

It's not rocket science - at age 20 study for a mid term or work out for a multimillion dollar dream? Which wins out? I am told Dham has done ok academically but he is focused on getting into the league now so classes going forward are not likely to be a priority. If you want someone to BS you don't ask Chief! I have seen it happen too often.

Reaction Score
It's not rocket science - at age 20 study for a mid term or work out for a multimillion dollar dream? Which wins out?

So because a thing is possible you're making a topic about it? Let's iterate all the things that could possibly happen to Hamilton this summer.

I don't see how this is substantively different from speculating that a player will transfer. Hey, it could happen!

Last edited:

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It's not rocket science - at age 20 study for a mid term or work out for a multimillion dollar dream? Which wins out? I am told Dham has done ok academically but he is focused on getting into the league now so classes going forward are not likely to be a priority. If you want someone to BS you don't ask Chief! I have seen it happen too often.
Funny but Im sure KO addressed this issue way ahead time. I'm confident we have a system in place for this type of situation .

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Funny but Im sure KO addressed this issue way ahead time. I'm confident we have a system in place for this type of situation .

Hey, it's not like this was a major problem that resulted in a postseason ban and the loss of scholarships, and which caused the entire athletic department to make sure that our athletes left the school in good academic standing.

C

Chief00

I agree that has happened with KO- lots of external forces at work I am told. Can't though argue with anything Dhams father said. He was very level headed and logical but there is momentum that builds one way and not the other way!

I know no one wants to hear this but just being real.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I agree that has happened with KO- lots of external forces at work I am told. Can't though argue with anything Dhams father said. He was very level headed and logical but there is momentum that builds one way and not the other way!

I know no one wants to hear this but just being real.
It's a reality but I'm sure that KO will protect the Uconn side of things. As far as people leaving , that's uncertain. It happens .

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, rather than respond individually I figured I would post a thread. My concern with the new NBA /NCAA rule - is that guys will drop the academics and just work out for the NBA. I don't plan to out guys that haven't outted themselves but some will have to go to the draft by default because they will stop going to class - so another year in college won't be an option. I think of Rudy Gay when I am typing this post. He wanted to come back but the he had crossed the Rubicon. That may also happen to DHam!
thats actually a valid concern chief. I just hope the Hamilton family has learned their lesson. I strongly feel Dham has nba ability. I feel even stronger he is not ready. A wrong decision now can lead to a lifetime of battling uphill.

Reaction Score
Considering nobody thinks he's getting drafted in the first round this year do you really think his parents, Ollie, the academic advisors, the assistant coaches, etc. are going to allow him to close the door on coming back to school? And with the APR implications hanging over UConn if he does leave not in good standing. It doesn't take that much to keep up with your college work for another 6 weeks. Especially with some help from academic advisors (no, not anything against the rules).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm less inclined to believe that this information is legitimate than I would if it were 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
Sorry to sound like an old fogey, but its a matter of priorities and maturity. The scenerio actually starts during the freshman year, and by the end of year two the player should have a sense of where to devout their efforts and attention.

Some see college as a backup plan or fulfillment of a promise and focus on studies simoultaneously with athletics, others see college as a nuisance, dislike classes/studying and actually believe (albeit with disillusionment) the NBA is their solution or meal ticket.

For those testing the NBA waters like DHam I would hope with his NBA pedigree he knows what he is doing and is only taking advantage of the new rule. The ones to worry about to me are decent players who where selected to an all conference team, and may not have strong family support offering good advice. Or those that grew up poor and don't want to wait to chase their dream (i.e. money). I could see them getting 'distracted' with NBA pursuits under the new rule.

C

Chief00

Considering nobody thinks he's getting drafted in the first round this year do you really think his parents, Ollie, the academic advisors, the assistant coaches, etc. are going to allow him to close the door on coming back to school? And with the APR implications hanging over UConn if he does leave not in good standing. It doesn't take that much to keep up with your college work for another 6 weeks. Especially with some help from academic advisors (no, not anything against the rules).
I agree the coaches, family and support system will attempt that. However, if he is serious about it, won't he be flying around the country and trying out with various teams in addition to the combine? I don't know all the details of this new rule.
Also, guys usually hire a personal trainer based somewhere other than Storrs - again under the new rule - there may be limits on that and a lack of agent funding of that activity will limit it.

During the season they have academic support staff travel with the team - I don't see that on a 1x1,basis?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Chief's Briefs: Special Edition

Reaction Score
I agree the coaches, family and support system will attempt that. However, if he is serious about it, won't he be flying around the country and trying out with various teams in addition to the combine? I don't know all the details of this new rule.
Also, guys usually hire a personal trainer based somewhere other than Storrs - again under the new rule - there may be limits on that and a lack of agent funding of that activity will limit it.

During the season they have academic support staff travel with the team - I don't see that on a 1x1,basis?

So you don't know the details of the new rules but you're concerned about the new rules?

Okay. Makes total sense.

Reaction Score
What I would hope based on the knowledge of his coach, KO, the experience his family has with this process and with JC close in fold, that this is their way of hearing from the teams about what he needs to work on.

Shame on him if he continued to think this way after getting strong direct comments from summer camps last summer. And with an ok season with many holes exposed in his game.

Look if his goal is to make money now than this is possible. But he won't be on a roster (NBA) next year in my opinion and that's ok. He will make money and more than most of us so nothing wrong with that.

But for me what he needs to work on, the college game in my opinion would be better for him next year. He needs to gain confidence going to the hole, drawing contact. Getting hit. He can do it next year against young men or he can try to do it next year against grown men.

C

Chief00

So you don't know the details of the new rules but you're concerned about the new rules?

Okay. Makes total sense.

I don't claim to an expert on the details and NCAA interpretation of every new NCCA rule that comes out - if you find the guy who is such an expert - let me know - he could consult many schools and be paid big bucks. You have more confidence in the clarity of NCAA rules than I do.

What I do know is when guys start trying out for The League - school quickly is in the rear view mirror. I have seen that story play out too many times - what's unusual this time is there is no agent - so who is legally going to fill that void on a variety of things agents do? I hope it's not agents doing stuff under the table - the better ones won't do it but some might.

If you think it's status quo in Dham's life I think you are mistaken. His Dad does seem to be level headed so hopefully that will be a plus.

Reaction Score

The NBA Draft Combine is May 11-15. Finals at UConn are May 2-7 so he's done with school by the combine. The draft is June 23 and early entrants need to withdraw by June 13. I'm pretty sure players visit teams during the period between the combine and the draft. So no school during that time. I imagine he will work out at UConn between now and final exams and isn't going to LA or somewhere else.

Bottom line is that Hamilton is not considered anywhere near a first round pick and isn't going to do anything to jeopardize his chances of coming back to UConn. And UConn isn't going to allow him to hurt their APR by not finishing his school work. Ollie has made that very clear in the past and I remember Kemba and Shabazz promising to finish their school work. I think Drummond did the same but I can't remember.

Daniel and his family saw what Jordan went through and will be careful to make sure Daniel is making the right decision to get drafted and stay in the NBA. I really am not worried at all about Hamilton leaving UConn now. He's testing the waters as he should. Unless a miracle happens and they tell him he's a first round pick he'll be coming back to UConn. If Hamilton stays in the draft you can call me out and tell me I was wrong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The NBA Draft Combine is May 11-15. Finals at UConn are May 2-7 so he's done with school by the combine. The draft is June 23 and early entrants need to withdraw by June 13. I'm pretty sure players visit teams during the period between the combine and the draft. So no school during that time. I imagine he will work out at UConn between now and final exams and isn't going to LA or somewhere else.

Bottom line is that Hamilton is not considered anywhere near a first round pick and isn't going to do anything to jeopardize his chances of coming back to UConn. And UConn isn't going to allow him to hurt their APR by not finishing his school work. Ollie has made that very clear in the past and I remember Kemba and Shabazz promising to finish their school work. I think Drummond did the same but I can't remember.

Daniel and his family saw what Jordan went through and will be careful to make sure Daniel is making the right decision to get drafted and stay in the NBA. I really am not worried at all about Hamilton leaving UConn now. He's testing the waters as he should. Unless a miracle happens and they tell him he's a first round pick he'll be coming back to UConn. If Hamilton stays in the draft you can call me out and tell me I was wrong.
This is what I would call a bulge in the briefs. Nicely done.

C

Chief00

Good points and interesting timeline. Keep in mind as of last summer Ray Allen hadn't finished school although he indicated he was planning to. I believed Kemba "Walked" but did not graduate with his class. Not sure where that currently stands. Bazz did graduate to the best of my knowledge. AD - we will see how that plays out - I think he and his family would like him to.

I am just saying please don't underestimate the role various distractions and millions of dollars play if a guy doesn't graduate when he leaves school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom