The New Roster -- Where is the Athleticism? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The New Roster -- Where is the Athleticism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It’s not an invalid concern. They’re less bouncy than last year, but Ball and Castle plus Johnson and Ross add some good athleticism at each spot.

I think the one thing that also dispels your concern is that our best athletes last year weren’t exactly blowing by defenders and finishing in the lane.

I’d say Castle and Ball will actually ADD some of that penetration ability.

Reaction Score
He also had a vertical leap that was nothing to be ashamed of. It showed up in his rebounding and when he contested the layup vs SDSU in the championship game that led to a 3 from Joey on the other end. Sanogo’s vertical wasn’t awful but it was only 1/2 inch more than Edey and Kalkebrenner. Adama more than made up for it with his strength, positioning, wingspan, and basketball IQ imo.
Timme not Edey

Reaction Score
Solo is the most athletic of the newcomers, but I wouldn't underestimate Ross. Sort of in a Jeremy Lamb kind of way. And purely by observation, Stewart is getting more lean and athletic as he matures. By the time he gets into strength and conditioning, he may be a surprise...not earthbound. You cannot use Jackson to define athleticism; he is among the most elite of folks that would be considered good athletes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you posit a starting lineup of Castle, Newton, Karaban & Clingan -- and plug, say, Cam Spencer into the 3, a question arises. Where is the athleticism in this lineup? Where is the quickness? Where is the transitional speed?

Indeed, is it an exaggeration to say that this would be the least athletic starting lineup in the modern era of UConn basketball? There is no Jackson, no Hawkins, no Sanogo and no near facsimiles..

Is this a concern?

On offense at least, we might see a compensation in the passing ability of this lineup which seems to be considerable. We'll see a lot of smart ball movement, quite probably. The challenge is more apt to come on defense, and even there the rim protection we'll get from Clingan may offset the lack of quickness on the perimeter.

But important help may come from the freshmen. Ball, Stewart, Ross and Singare are all athletes. Ross, imo, is the full package at the 3, and I'd love to see him start there. Instead of a Spencer to start, I rather have Ross start and a Calcaterra-type to back him up. Ball and Stewart are the wildcards. Each is positioned behind a 30-minute starter, but the surprise of the season may be how their athleticism earns them additional minutes. I'm also among the few here who do not write-off Singare, who looks, to my eye, quick and agile.. In short, I like the freshmen to be important contributors, for the very reason that our "best" players this year are not world-class athletes and there are times when we will need athletes on the floor.
Was Arkansas athletic this past season? I seem to remember reading that they were one of the more athletic teams out there and I vividly remember Clingan beating the entire Arkansas team the full length of the court on one exceptionally memorable play.

Reaction Score
It’s not an invalid concern. They’re less bouncy than last year, but Ball and Castle plus Johnson and Ross add some good athleticism at each spot.

I think the one thing that also dispels your concern is that our best athletes last year weren’t exactly blowing by defenders and finishing in the lane.

I’d say Castle and Ball will actually ADD some of that penetration ability
Was Arkansas athletic this past season? I seem to remember reading that they were one of the more athletic teams out there and I vividly remember Clingan beating the entire Arkansas team the full length of the court on one exceptionally memorable play.
Clingan is an underrated athlete I feel. We just need him to stay out of foul trouble. The numbers the kid could put up playing 28-30 minutes a game could be insane.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Terrific defender? I would call him good. He didn't have the greatest lateral quickness and got beat off the dribble a lot and tried to make up for that by trying to block someone from behind. He will definitely have to improve this in the next level where the court is even more open.

I completely disagree. I wouldn't say he got beat off the dribble "a lot." I can't think of many times it happened in the NCAAs, for a guy that gets beat "a lot."

Reaction Score
Terrific defender? I would call him good. He didn't have the greatest lateral quickness and got beat off the dribble a lot and tried to make up for that by trying to block someone from behind. He will definitely have to improve this in the next level where the court is even more open.

Andre was one of the best defenders in the country. Certainly in the tournament. His getting beat off the dribble was by design--we pressure the point of attack and take away the 3. That is expected to give up the drive. Conveniently, we often had a 7'3 behemoth at the rim to make up for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you posit a starting lineup of Castle, Newton, Karaban & Clingan -- and plug, say, Cam Spencer into the 3, a question arises. Where is the athleticism in this lineup? Where is the quickness? Where is the transitional speed?

Indeed, is it an exaggeration to say that this would be the least athletic starting lineup in the modern era of UConn basketball? There is no Jackson, no Hawkins, no Sanogo and no near facsimiles..

Is this a concern?

On offense at least, we might see a compensation in the passing ability of this lineup which seems to be considerable. We'll see a lot of smart ball movement, quite probably. The challenge is more apt to come on defense, and even there the rim protection we'll get from Clingan may offset the lack of quickness on the perimeter.

But important help may come from the freshmen. Ball, Stewart, Ross and Singare are all athletes. Ross, imo, is the full package at the 3, and I'd love to see him start there. Instead of a Spencer to start, I rather have Ross start and a Calcaterra-type to back him up. Ball and Stewart are the wildcards. Each is positioned behind a 30-minute starter, but the surprise of the season may be how their athleticism earns them additional minutes. I'm also among the few here who do not write-off Singare, who looks, to my eye, quick and agile.. In short, I like the freshmen to be important contributors, for the very reason that our "best" players this year are not world-class athletes and there are times when we will need athletes on the floor.

Guarantee this guy’s never seen Castle and Solo Ball highlights.

Freak athletes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's remarkable how consistently the Boneyard manufactures problems. I swear some of you could be dating Ana de Armas and would be concerned about the small mole on her left cheek. Cuba may not have very good sunscreens, could it be skin cancer? Doomed.

The team will be different. Better at some things worse at others. It will be fun to watch and learn what those are. I'm sure we will be surprised in some ways, and that's what's fun about it.

Reaction Score
I completely disagree. I wouldn't say he got beat off the dribble "a lot." I can't think of many times it happened in the NCAAs, for a guy that gets beat "a lot.
It's remarkable how consistently the Boneyard manufactures problems. I swear some of you could be dating Ana de Armas and would be concerned about the small mole on her left cheek. Cuba may not have very good sunscreens, could it be skin cancer? Doomed.

The team will be different. Better at some things worse at others. It will be fun to watch and learn what those are. I'm sure we will be surprised in some ways, and that's what's fun about it.
Agreed though Alleyne is dating Nika Mühl, won a ring at UConn, and then transferred to St John’s thus moving away from Nika lmao.

Reaction Score

Is this a concern?

Few teams ever have freak athletes like Andre & Bouknight. We are fine!!

Reaction Score
Andre was one of the best defenders in the country. Certainly in the tournament. His getting beat off the dribble was by design--we pressure the point of attack and take away the 3. That is expected to give up the drive. Conveniently, we often had a 7'3 behemoth at the rim to make up for it.
I didn't see that as he got scored on a lot defensively. Like I said I dsagree on how great he was defensively. He was good but no the best even in the league. I think you are looking at how athletic he was and not his skills. I thought Alleyne played better man to man defense. Jaskson was good on help defense for sure.

Reaction Score
I didn't see that as he got scored on a lot defensively. Like I said I dsagree on how great he was defensively. He was good but no the best even in the league. I think you are looking at how athletic he was and not his skills. I thought Alleyne played better man to man defense. Jaskson was good on help defense for sure.
Some of it also was a function of taking chances jumping into passing lanes and overplaying guys knowing that he had an eraser on the back line in the form of Clingan.

Reaction Score

I love how you manage to sneak Ana de Armas into like half your posts.

Reaction Score
Then you weren't watching. And yes, Jackson actually was the best in the league

IMG_1538.jpeg

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Castle 6'7
Newton 6'5
Transfer
Karaban 6'8
Clingan 7'3

Diarra 6'2
Ball 6'4
Stewart 6'7
Roumoglu 6'7
Ross 6'8
Johnson 6'10
Singare 7'0

Plenty of size and athleticism here with Clingan cleaning up in the paint. This group needs to answer the toughness question early on. We know what Clingan, Karaban, and Diarra can bring in terms of toughness. I see Newton making a big jump in toughness off the back of a National Championship where he was instrumental in the team's success. Jackson, Sanogo, and Hawkins all brought pro-level toughness to the way they competed. The listed bench, outside of Diarra, needs to show they can make tough plays in big moments.

Need shooting, experience, and maybe a depth big man with the last two scholarships. I remember reading that Hurley might not use all 13 scholarships

Reaction Score
Then you weren't watching. And yes, Jackson actually was the best in the league

View attachment 88639
I was watching and I did say he was great on help defense. I just saw him got beat off the dribble a lot more than a player like Alleyne did. He didn't win the defensivie player award as Ryan won that. Not saying Ryan is a better defensive player but just saying that Andre wasn't this outstanding defensive player. He was solid but still has issues with lateral quickness aginast smaller guards.

Reaction Score

I mean, as others have said... your eye test is wrong. We have objective measures of this stuff.

Reaction Score
I was watching and I did say he was great on help defense. I just saw him got beat off the dribble a lot more than a player like Alleyne did. He didn't win the defensivie player award as Ryan won that. Not saying Ryan is a better defensive player but just saying that Andre wasn't this outstanding defensive player. He was solid but still has issues with lateral quickness aginast smaller guards.
Repeating the same incorrect statements over and over again isn't going to suddenly make them right. You were wrong about Andre all offseason when you trashed him, you were wrong about him early in the season when you trashed him, and you're wrong about him now

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner was better defensively but Andre was a great defender.

Reaction Score

Manufactured problems present a unique opportunity for manufactured solutions

Screenshot_20230601_144025_Google.jpg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’s a problem, the people pretending it’s not are just carrying water. But no team is perfect.

Our team last year lacked consistent dribble drive penetration, which you’d think is a must have for championship offenses. We still won the title in dominating fashion. You can make make up for weaknesses with good game planning and elite strengths in other areas, which we have on paper.

Getting Spencer will exacerbate this issue, but our lack of veteran shooting is probably a bigger problem than athleticism, so we should be happy with that addition.

Reaction Score
It’s a problem, the people pretending it’s not are just carrying water. But no team is perfect.

Our team last year lacked consistent dribble drive penetration, which you’d think is a must have for championship offenses. We still won the title in dominating fashion. You can make make up for weaknesses with good game planning and elite strengths in other areas, which we have on paper.

Getting Spencer will exacerbate this issue, but our lack of veteran shooting is probably a bigger problem than athleticism, so we should be happy with that addition.
Athleticism is a problem for UConn basketball next season?

You really want to stick with that?

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

I promise you, next years team is Phi Slamma Jamma compared to our 2014 Championship team

Reaction Score
A word from the OP:

To all of you who responded thoughtfully -- I stand corrected.
To all of you who agreed with me -- let's meet some time for double solitaire.
To the Sphinx-triggered "ha-ha" bots -- Kootchy Kootchy Koo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom