The New New Big East | The Boneyard

The New New Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am less sanguine about getting a timely invite from the ACC or Big 10 than I was last night. I also think there is a meaningful chance that any invitation will be for a non-voting, partial membership, not a full partnership.

I think the 6 football schools have to simply move on with rebuilding the league, likely through a merger with the Big 12. After today, Kansas, KState, ISU and Baylor will be freaking out, as will TCU. While not ideal, those 5 plus the 6 in the Big East is a decent platform for a league, and better than nothing. I also think that while that league would never get SEC or Big 10 money, Comcast has to be desperate right now for some property. $10MM/school/year is not out of the question.

Even beginning that discussion could force the ACC or Big 10 to move, and force a better offer if it comes to that.

Reaction Score
Who has the rights to the Big East name, the football schools or the basketball schools?

Reaction Score
Sounds like a doomsday, last resort solution. I can't imagine UConn EVER accepting an invitation to any conference that is non-voting, & partial. That would smack of desperation.
Let's see how this plays out. WVU is actively campaigning for entry to the SEC (as they should). They can't be counted on to be the lynchpin of any NEW, New Big East. There are SO many variables. Trust in President Herbst. From past indications, she is a no B.S., take charge person. We'll land somewhere that is acceptable.

Reaction Score
to be clear, the non-voting/partial membership is your brainchild, correct? You should state that. I can't see that happening in this climate of instability.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but a merger of leftovers is the most likely scenario, at least in the short term. That league will have just about as big a chance of success as the Big East after the initial ACC raids. The next few years are not going to be fun.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
to be clear, the non-voting/partial membership is your brainchild, correct? You should state that. I can't see that happening in this climate of instability.

It isn't my brainchild. A few "insider" posters on Big 10 boards, including the guy on Northwestern's rivals board, said the Big 10 considered that last year for Rutgers and Missouri.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but a merger of leftovers is the most likely scenario, at least in the short term. That league will have just about as big a chance of success as the Big East after the initial ACC raids. The next few years are not going to be fun.

I think that is right. I also think that the league would need at least a $20MM breakup fee. Finally, you often need a credible alternative to force a buyer to move in an M&A situation. Right now, the ACC has UConn by the shorthairs and there is no incentive for the ACC to move quickly. UConn has to make it look like it is moving on.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's not necessarily the ACC, but ultimately Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame that have everyone by the shorthairs. Until they make a move, no one makes a move.

You can't form a Big East/Big 12 leftovers conference if there's still a Big 12... When the Big 12 breaks up... you get to see what the SEC is doing... then what the ACC/Big 10 does in reaction... until that happens we're in limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom