The NCAA tournament is about to get ruined. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The NCAA tournament is about to get ruined.

Reaction Score
The most likely thing to happen is the major conferences/D1 just taking all the money. Not creating a separate tournament, just defunding D2/D3 and pocketing that money by allocating almost all the NCAA tournament money to tournament credits (leaving just enough for NCAA to fund the organization itself and run the D1 championships).
They'll have to create a whole other organization outside the NCAA. Because those D2/D3 schools are part of the NCAA. Which returns us to the problem again: logistical nightmare of running D1 sports championships, especially when schools are in different divisions for different sports.

Reaction Score
They'll have to create a whole other organization outside the NCAA. Because those D2/D3 schools are part of the NCAA. Which returns us to the problem again: logistical nightmare of running D1 sports championships, especially when schools are in different divisions for different sports.
I don't see why them being part of the NCAA matters.

$100 mil that goes to D2/D3 in the NCAA budget just gets allocated to tournament credit allocations.

To quote Office Space, "we just.. fixed the glitch." They can keep sporting in the basement, but the P6 wont care either way if they fold.

Reaction Score
I don't see why them being part of the NCAA matters.

$100 mil that goes to D2/D3 in the NCAA budget just gets allocated to tournament credit allocations.

To quote Office Space, "we just.. fixed the glitch." They can keep sporting in the basement, but the P6 wont care either way if they fold.
Because they won't agree to those changes

Reaction Score
Because they won't agree to those changes
And that is where the leverage comes in. D2 and D3 have absolutely none. At that point the p5 can threaten to leave and create their own thing. The non-power D1 will freak out and D2 and D3 die. Their existence is at the charity of the P5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With the promise of a chunk of money, the other top conferences will care.

The problem in all of this is, how will the NCAA fund the playoffs in all other sports if it's cut out of the bball tournament.

That's the one the schools have to crack. I think it's a logistical nightmare.
The P2 will have more than enough cash to pay for their Olympic sports championships. Everyone else will have to make due. More playoff games on the higher seeds campus, etc.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I suspect that many alumni from the non-power 2 or 5 watch the tournament to cheer for the teams from their conference. If their conference teams are not invited, they will be upset, and I expect a big drop off from fans watching the tournament.
If the Big East teams are not invited, I won't watch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The solution of how the B1G and SEC hijack the prominence of the NCAA Tournament is simple:

The B1G and SEC with the backing of FOX can create a new entity which conducts the post season tournament (ie. “The College Basketball National Championship Tournament) with the to 10 teams in the B1G and SEC with invites from
The solution of how the B1G and SEC hijack the prominence of the NCAA Tournament is simple:

The B1G and SEC with the backing of FOX can create a new entity which conducts the post season tournament (is. The College Basketball National Championship Tournament”) with the to 10 teams in the B1G and SEC with invites from the best teams from non Big10/ SEC schools to participate to compete with the NCAA tournament with larger payouts for participants. Both tournaments would claim to crown the National Championship but over time with the absence of the B1G and SEC schools the new tournament would win out Much like the NCAA torpedoed the NIT in the 1960s.

If I recall correctly this is kinda how the NCAA outpaced the once dominant NIT. Recall Marquette Coach Al Maguire snubbing the NCAA Tournament when he did not like his team’s seeding and the NCAA thereafter imposing a rule that if a school is invited to the NCAA it cannot play in another tournament.
the best teams from non Big10/ SEC schools to participate to compete with the NCAA tournament with larger payouts for participants. Both tournaments would claim to crown the National Championship but over time with the absence of the B1G and SEC schools the new tournament would win out much like the NCAA torpedoed the NIT in the 1960s.

Horrible line of thinking ESPN will just give up the most valuable basketball games played by the SEC each year and cede those games to FOX.

No, what will happens is FOX will have the B1G and several other conferences aligned under its umbrella. This will include the Big East. There will be a tournament televised on FOX entities.

At the same time ESPN will have a tournament for the SEC and its aligned conferences such as the ACC and they will crown a winner.

Then, the FOX branded champion will square off against the ESPN branded champion and that will be the national championship game. FOX and ESPN will alternate viewing that game.

Both Fox and ESPN will absorb smaller conferences under their umbrellas and the small cinderellas will get their chance, it just won't under the name of the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
The P2 will have more than enough cash to pay for their Olympic sports championships. Everyone else will have to make due. More playoff games on the higher seeds campus, etc.
I know that but it's still a logistical nightmare. They're going to have to start the whole operation from scratch.

Reaction Score
And that is where the leverage comes in. D2 and D3 have absolutely none. At that point the p5 can threaten to leave and create their own thing. The non-power D1 will freak out and D2 and D3 die. Their existence is at the charity of the P5.
If the threat is we'll give you no money or we'll give you no money, then the D2/D3 will say well, since you're not giving us a choice at all, it's NCAA go kaboom!

Reaction Score
I know that but it's still a logistical nightmare. They're going to have to start the whole operation from scratch.
Will they?

They are already running conference tournaments/championships for all sports so the logistics are in place, it's just the size of the event that changes.

Reaction Score
If the threat is we'll give you no money or we'll give you no money, then the D2/D3 will say well, since you're not giving us a choice at all, it's NCAA go kaboom!
Yes they'd probably have to incentivize a little bit. I thought it was something the board of governors could do, because D1 dominates that. but I think it's actually hard-coded into the constitution, so they'd have to actually offer some sort of carrot to prevent the spite "just kill us then" bluff calling from the full member vote.

CL82

Reaction Score
Or maybe more accurately they’re going to have to set up two organizations from scratch. One of which will have abundant resources and one of which will have practically none. Still, it’s not as if they don’t have a template to work off off. It’s doable.

Don’t miss read that as me being in favor of the Money grab. I just think it’s inevitable.

Reaction Score
I dunno, I get being upset on one hand. On the other, a play-in tournament featuring the winners of like the NEC, MEAC etc. is somewhat more interesting to me as a sports fan than watching them immediately get smoked as a 16 seed. The thing that’ll really suck is more 17-14 FSU type teams getting in

Reaction Score
Will they?

They are already running conference tournaments/championships for all sports so the logistics are in place, it's just the size of the event that changes.
Good point.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I haven't looked but do viewership #s really support that supposition that folks tune in to the NCAA to watch the mismatches and not the games with two big dogs?

Reaction Score
I'm sure the models show that the major conference can get more money with these types of changes to the NCAA tournament or maybe even their own tournament. There is no consideration of the fanbase or other member institutions. Certainly nothing collegial about any of it.

I've said it many times before. I can watch the best basketball players in the world in the NBA. I watch college basketball for a different reason. I have to believe I'm not the only viewer with that perspective.

Reaction Score
If this happens, and it likely will, the tournament will have the same watchability quotient as the college football bowl games now have. Zero, none.

Yeah prob will tune in for the Final Four, but with zero rooting interest I’ll be turning off the games at halftime.

…what’ll keep it afloat, with no viewers at home and no fans in the seats, will be the betting action.

Reaction Score
If this happens, and it likely will, the tournament will have the same watchability quotient as the college football bowl games now have. Zero, none.

Yeah prob will tune in for the Final Four, but with zero rooting interest I’ll be turning off the games at halftime.

…what’ll keep it afloat, with no viewers at home and no fans in the seats, will be the betting action.
This will be the next step.

Conferences will start aligning themselves with gambling sites as official sponsors and broadcasts (like currently happens in pro sports) will drive activity to its sponsored sight.

We could end up with the eventual hoops tournament being called The BetMGM College Basketball Championship sponsored by FanDuel

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think doing this would officially cause Dicky V’s heart to stop.

CL82

Reaction Score
This will be the next step.

Conferences will start aligning themselves with gambling sites as official sponsors and broadcasts (like currently happens in pro sports) will drive activity to its sponsored sight.

We could end up with the eventual hoops tournament being called The BetMGM College Basketball Championship sponsored by FanDuel
With player interviews during the game to push the action.

Sideline reporter: James that was a heck of a collision out there how are you feeling?

Player: I’m OK, I’m OK. My knees a little sore but I’m just gonna push through it.

Sideline reporter: well there you have it. James is injured but he’s going to keep going. How that’s going to affect the total score is unclear.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They're also greedy, they want to be a part of the NCAA tournament. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't see it creeping into basketball. Football sure, but nobody will care about their basketball tournament if those 2 break off
Agreed. The NCAA Tournament is going to be fine. If they split it will be all football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom