The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee proposes a rules change for the 23-24 season on block/charge scenarios amongst others. | The Boneyard

The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee proposes a rules change for the 23-24 season on block/charge scenarios amongst others.

Reaction Score
This might be my favorite. Will hopefully speed up these end of games.

If a coach requests an out-of-bounds review in the final 2 minutes, lose a timeout if the challenge fails

Reaction Score
Why are we reinstating "call timeout while falling out of bounds"? We got rid of that like 20 years ago and nobody complained.

Also, doesn't the shot clock already reset to 20 on offensive rebounds?
Ok, I thought I was crazy…..that is already the rule on rebounds…right?

Reaction Score
I hate the current college charge rules. It encourages flopping all over the place. We weren't immune to it ourselves - Newton and Alleyne were masters at flopping every time a ballhandler put their shoulder down, and got rewarded a lot for it. I'm a fan of making the guy miss, not making the guy pick up a cheap foul

Reaction Score
I hate the current college charge rules. It encourages flopping all over the place. We weren't immune to it ourselves - Newton and Alleyne were masters at flopping every time a ballhandler put their shoulder down, and got rewarded a lot for it. I'm a fan of making the guy miss, not making the guy pick up a cheap foul
Blame Duke. They made it an art form.

Reaction Score
From the article, "Currently, defenders must be in position to draw a charge before the offensive player goes airborne. "

How is this different?
The difference is leaving the ground versus just planting the foot. It's not much but it's a little more leeway to the offensive player.

Reaction Score
It's been 24 hours and I still have no idea what the offensive rebound proposal means

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why are we reinstating "call timeout while falling out of bounds"? We got rid of that like 20 years ago and nobody complained.

Yeah. This was tried and was a failure. I would listen to a proposal where if a player has clear control of the ball and is able to land on his feet, he can call it.

The problem prior was players would be laid out like Super Man, fumbling the ball while trying to make a TO symbol and refs would give it to them.

Reaction Score
This might be my favorite. Will hopefully speed up these end of games.

If a coach requests an out-of-bounds review in the final 2 minutes, lose a timeout if the challenge fails
We're so far behind on common sense related to reviews in sports.

Why can't the time keeper overturn out of bounds calls based on the replays they're already watching to maintain the accuracy of the clock?

Keep it moving

Reaction Score
I don't understand why this suggested rule change wasn't in place all along, and they should get rid of the charge altogether. When an offensive player is driving to the hoop it is impossible to stop even before he plants his foot. No defender should be able to just slide in and draw a charge. Slide at your own peril I say.

Reaction Score

Right ? I can only assume this comes into play if there is a shot and it doesn't hit the rim ? Seems like that was a minimally low bar for a shot to count towards a shot clock reset. Oh, you shot an airball ? That's ok, you got the rebound, so here's 20 seconds more. Hard pass on that one.

Reaction Score
The replay rule (in all sports) is out of control. If the refs have to look at a view more than once, the call on the court/field stands. I get everyone wants perfection but if it is not an obvious miss call just say "inconclusive" and play on.

Reaction Score
Calling a TO as you're flying out of bounds is the dumbest rule ever. You're out bounds. You're off the court. You're not in play. If you can put you hands together to call a TO, you should be able to throw the ball back in play. If you can't too bad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't understand why this suggested rule change wasn't in place all along, and they should get rid of the charge altogether. When an offensive player is driving to the hoop it is impossible to stop even before he plants his foot. No defender should be able to just slide in and draw a charge. Slide at your own peril I say.
So, defense isn't allowed? That would be fun.

They need to focus more on who initiates contact. The whole "feet planted" thing is unfair to defenders. If you run over a defender, that shouldn't be a foul on the defense, yet it almost always is.

The block/charge is the toughest call in sports. The flopping happens because so many obvious offensive fouls aren't called. Push offs, shoulders to the chest, just call those whether the defender falls or not and they'll stop falling.

Reaction Score
So, defense isn't allowed? That would be fun.

They need to focus more on who initiates contact. The whole "feet planted" thing is unfair to defenders. If you run over a defender, that shouldn't be a foul on the defense, yet it almost always is.

The block/charge is the toughest call in sports. The flopping happens because so many obvious offensive fouls aren't called. Push offs, shoulders to the chest, just call those whether the defender falls or not and they'll stop falling.
I've always hated charges and hate it as a defensive strategy for certain players/teams. I want guys to be allowed to play more defense but not through flopping around like fish. Get some more balance instead of the three point contests we currently have. Guards and wings have it way too easy now, bring back hand checking on the perimeter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom